• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your current obsessions?

WWII History
-Concentration camps
-Screaming Eagles 101st PID

Medicine
-Pharmacology
-Neurology
-a little bit of psychology
*AD/HD

Knitting

Gaming
-tabletop war games
-tabletop RPGs
-card games
-European board games

Eating Disorders.
Cooking.
Actually, I've been cooking while watching documentaries about eating disorders.

Oops, I forgot one....as evidenced by my avatar (which was a 40th birthday gift from my loving wife), I am also obsessed with Star Trek, specifically the Original Series and movies, although I have broadened my obsession to Star Trek the Next Generation, Voyager (somewhat), and the 2009 Star Trek reboot.

when i was your age i would [during summer breaks] watch TOS several times daily to the point where i had seen every episode several times, and could recite lines of TOS dialogue without thinking about it.
other than that, my present obsessions are not fit for inclusion in a general forum.:unsure:

I took a class last summer: "Anthropology of Body". It was around the same time the question of asperger's came up. In class, we often talked about the controversial "Pro-ana" sites, and I was annoyed by the prof's superficial understanding of eating disorders. I surprised myself by being pretty outspoken in class and as I skulked around the internet in my obsessive development of more eloquent counter-arguments to my prof's scapegoating, I was intrigued when I started finding evidence of overlap between AS and restricting-anorexia.

I guess I find it especially interesting, because I think I could have easily ended up in the latter group. Girls started getting diagnosed with AS later than boys, and being quiet and obedient makes it pretty easy to "fly under the radar" but adolescence makes social ineptitude more apparent. Which matches up with the time when AN develops. More women are getting diagnosed with AS through their kids, but it'll be another 5 or 10 years to start seeing the ones that are my age get diagnosed. Obviously I don't believe the oft-cited gender ratio of 4:1 is accurate.

I've always been fairly obsessed and controlling with food, hence the recent EDNOS diagnosis, but it never got out of control. I found other ways of displacing the reality of my social difficulties (running off to France and Ecuador to mask my cluelessness as cultural difference and hiding in the grammar of a foreign language). I guess, I find it interesting since I've met a few anorectics who have had strangely parallel childhood experiences. It's upsetting though: I feel like we're failing our estranged aspie-anorectic sisters. Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of all psychiatric disorders, with AS-comorbids being the most "treatment resistant"; they are most likely to die from their disorder. NOT FAIR.

Long answer, sorry. :)

when i was your age i would [during summer breaks] watch TOS several times daily to the point where i had seen every episode several times, and could recite lines of TOS dialogue without thinking about it.
other than that, my present obsessions are not fit for inclusion in a general forum.:unsure:

If that "when I was your age" was directed toward me, then in the words of Dr. McCoy (RIP DeForest Kelley), "How old do you think I am, anyway??" :)

My current obsession would be the "Dead Island" trailer, which is an upcoming RPG computer game. I've listened to, watched it and had it on in the background all night and that will probably be the case for the next week or two.

i have a question for ROBERTWNEILSEN..........what was the name of the very old starship that was featured in the episode 'tin man' sttng?

no cheating!

My latest obsessions are the CGI animated films How to Train Your Dragon and Rango.

My obsession with Tim Burton movies has died, which made me really sad for a little while since I expected it to last a lot longer than a year.

Cigars. I plan on trying out some of the highest-regarded cigars out there ATM. I don't care about cigarettes anymore (I used to smoke), but I think I'll always be fond of cigars. It's just best not to smoke them too often.

Cigars. I plan on trying out some of the highest-regarded cigars out there ATM. I don't care about cigarettes anymore (I used to smoke), but I think I'll always be fond of cigars. It's just best not to smoke them too often.

Ever had a Cuban cigar? I think you can get them legally in Canada.

IdahoRose said:
My latest obsessions are the CGI animated films How to Train Your Dragon and Rango.

I tried to go see Rango yesterday, but it was sold out. Maybe next weekend. I keep hearing good things about it.

One of my biggest current obsessions is comics. In a way, it seems only natural for aspies to have an affinity for comics (and other forms of visual narrative) since we tend to be visual thinkers. I got to hear Art Spiegelman give a lecture called "What the $^&# Happened to Comics?" a couple of weeks ago, and it was amazing.

If you're wondering why comics are worth obsessing over, have a look at the book Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud.

Last edited:
Animation, especially right now hand-drawn style. In addition to watching animated movies I get from the library, I also got my hands on some transparency sheets, which I can use to make hand-animation-style figures. After some fun just drawing characters on them (example), now I am trying to make a sequence, animating a flying fantastic creature that mostly looks like a pterodactyl coming in for a landing.

And I've become notably obsessed with the second half (books 4,5, and 6) of L.E. Modesitt's Corean Chronicles. I feel rather embarrassed about this, and I can't discuss them with anyone because I don't know anybody who's read them and even if they had they probably didn't like them nearly as much as I do. Shucks.

The cartoon Adventure Time with Finn & Jake. I went back to obsessing over my favorite Tim Burton movies as well. I like daydreaming about what would happen if my favorite characters from Tim Burton movies were in the world of Adventure Time and how all the characters would interact with each other. I've pretty much thought of how everybody's relationship to each other would be. For example, Finn and the Mad Hatter would get along great because they both like hats, whereas Willy Wonka and Princess Bubblegum would not, because Willy hates gum.

New Threads

Top Bottom