• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Anime Are You Watching?

Do you watch anime?

• yes

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • never have

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • rarely

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

Have you been watching any or... seen clips of an anime you found interesting?

For me, watching HunterXHunter(2011) set the bar too high, but now and then I get the craving to watch anime. I think the last thing I was watching was... The Black Butler/Kuroshitsuji. I enjoy the Victorian aesthetic, and it can be so freaken weird.

I’ve been trying to keep up with Mob Psycho 100 recently, it’s very good. Same author as One Punch Man I think, and some similar themes but taken in different directions.
I watched Kuroshitsuji back in highschool and enjoyed a lot of it. Ive got mixed feelings about the second season but i kind of love both endings.
Promare is something I want to watch soon, since I liked gurren lagan and klk and studio trigger seems to be treating them like a loosely connected universe.

I've been watching Dragon Ball again, started it last month or the month before and currently in the middle of DBZ Kai; I'm watching Kai rather than the original DBZ since it's more compact so to speak. I dislike the change in Bulma's VA though, but I'll live with it.

I’ve been trying to keep up with Mob Psycho 100 recently, it’s very good. Same author as One Punch Man I think, and some similar themes but taken in different directions.
I watched Kuroshitsuji back in highschool and enjoyed a lot of it. Ive got mixed feelings about the second season but i kind of love both endings.
Promare is something I want to watch soon, since I liked gurren lagan and klk and studio trigger seems to be treating them like a loosely connected universe.
I saw Mob Psycho ranked high on crunchyroll. Based on the picture it reminded me of One Punch Man. I watched once punch man and I liked the concept of a comedy about an overpowered guy. It was quite funny. Haven't seen any of the others, but I've definitely seen that girl from gurren langan, lol. Seems to have a nice animation style.

I've been watching Dragon Ball again, started it last month or the month before and currently in the middle of DBZ Kai; I'm watching Kai rather than the original DBZ since it's more compact so to speak. I dislike the change in Bulma's VA though, but I'll live with it.

Despite it being a classic I've never seen any Dragon Ball. Didn't know it was still ongoing, interesting.

Have you been watching any or... seen clips of an anime you found interesting?

For me, watching HunterXHunter(2011) set the bar too high, but now and then I get the craving to watch anime. I think the last thing I was watching was... The Black Butler/Kuroshitsuji. I enjoy the Victorian aesthetic, and it can be so freaken weird.
only one 'the cat returns' hilarious

I've always hated anime and manga - mostly because of the art, it's extremely ugly and I have a very hard time distinguishing one character from another when the only difference is a hair strand or eye colour.

BUT, having said that, I did enjoy 'Spirited Away' and 'Howl's Moving Castle'.
More recently my partner who watches anime stuff, convinced me to watch a few. Once I got past my art style hatred, the stories were actually quite enjoyable.

'Attack on Titan' - quite confusing story - jumps all over the place
'Fullmetal Alchemist - Brotherhood' - really enjoyed this one, I can see why it's a cult classic
'A Silent Voice' - really sad and beautiful
'Violet Evergarden' - meh, kinda boring in my opinion, but people seem to praise it

There were a few others, but they didn't leave a lasting impression.

I've always hated anime and manga - mostly because of the art, it's extremely ugly and I have a very hard time distinguishing one character from another when the only difference is a hair strand or eye colour.

BUT, having said that, I did enjoy 'Spirited Away' and 'Howl's Moving Castle'.
More recently my partner who watches anime stuff, convinced me to watch a few. Once I got past my art style hatred, the stories were actually quite enjoyable.

'Attack on Titan' - quite confusing story - jumps all over the place
'Fullmetal Alchemist - Brotherhood' - really enjoyed this one, I can see why it's a cult classic
'A Silent Voice' - really sad and beautiful
'Violet Evergarden' - meh, kinda boring in my opinion, but people seem to praise it

There were a few others, but they didn't leave a lasting impression.
I sort of understand! but I think if you watch the animators and the amount of time it takes to produce ,you'd like it a lot more

@Monachopia

Haha I'm the opposite, I'm pretty drawn to the general anime style. I do wish to see more where characters vary in appearance. Like different body types, and facial features. I think sometimes simplicity suits some types of shows, like lighthearted comedies. and yeah it seems like anime is mass produced in a way, and I sympathize with animators. But yeah it can be a downside. Or feel like I see the same repetitive thing.

I can't recommend HunterxHunter enough. The beginning may not seem too special but it gets quite good, I think it's considered critically acclaimed.

@Streetwise I do appreciate and know that animation takes forever to produce, I just don't like the form the drawing takes, I know manga/anime have some different styles, but generally the templates are the same. It's the templating and then all artists out there working from that template that irritates me the most. I could see a drawing from two different artists and not know that they are done by two people.

@8398 While I have a problem with the general art simplicity, I do actually agree that within that there is a fantastic range of expression and caricature, some shows seem to incorporate it really well and it adds to the enjoyment. I'll have a look at HunterxHunter :)

There’s a lot of terrible anime out there, and some of the art styles can be really off putting, but it’s a medium not a genre, and there’s a ton of variety when you know where to look. Like, I find a lot of 90’s nickelodeon cartoons unpleasant to look at. Ren and stimpy, rugrats, wild thornberries. The style puts me off. But I would miss out on a lot if I thought all western animation looked like that and didn’t try other things.
Mononoke (not to be confused with ghibli’s Princess Mononoke) has a really distinctive visual style
As does Gankutsuo, which is a retelling of the Count of Monte Cristo. They both play with stationary textures in a lovely way.
Mob Psycho 100 and One Punch Man have some beautiful and experimental animation, unique style, and also gave a platform to a pioneer of painting on glass as an artform, Miyo Sato- they have whole sequences animated through paint on glass.
Madoka Magica, in addition to turning the magical girl genre on its head, also utilized some gorgeous and unsettling techniques in the design of their witches, who are basically animated collages, their bodies and worlds made up of cut out magazines and photos
Jojo’s Bizzare Adventure is a popular one with a very distinct style, nothing else looks like jojo.
Fooly Cooly (FLCL) is a classic that got me into anime and is known for its unique visuals and beautiful animation.

Like books, I truly think there’s an anime out there for everyone who cares enough to keep looking!

@Monachopia
I think the director of studio Ghibli movies, Hayao miyazaki, brought up this point: how most anime creations are inspired by other anime, rather than real life.

I think this maybe causes the repetitiveness I often see. I think people would really like to see an evolution.

@Hareofhrair
That's a nice post. I went through a phase of trying to watch all the seasonal anime, which was kinda redundant. Now I find it's mostly only worth finding hidden gems, maybe some good old ones, or ones like you mention that stand out. Soul Eater might have my favorite style.
But hey, sometimes I just feel like watching something regular, typical and funny.

Last edited:
I have two right now.
The Ancient Magnus Bride. Which has a lot to like.
And Dog and Scissors which is hilarious.

@Wolf Prince
Dog and Scissors sounds interesting. I wonder if it's about dogs and scissors. Probably could be about anything.
Okay I read the wiki page. Okay I should watch it. For a few reasons, including my dog being a long hair dachshund.

I have two right now.
The Ancient Magnus Bride. Which has a lot to like.
And Dog and Scissors which is hilarious.

Ancient Magus Bride, I've been reading the manga of that. *Mostly* the same but I think the ending to the anime is different, though not in a drastic way.

Easily my favorite manga right now.

Now, as for anime...

Yeah, there's a sort of "sexy" aspect to the opening, but the anime itself, though short, is a very serious sort. And more than a little violent and disturbing. This is old-school anime (which is the sort I like most, and what I grew up with)... this was LONG before everything had to be harems and fanservice. Despite how she is dressed and the nature of the opening, the series has zero focus on that. It actually deals with elements of prejudice and similar things. Zero comedy whatsoever. The main villain is very... disconcerting. This series, I saw it back in highschool, and while it isnt THE one that got me into anime, it's one of the ones that sure helped.

And this is more recent. I watched through this series (though not the recent season that FINALLY happened) and quite liked it despite that I tend to dislike certain trends in recent anime. This was my favorite scene in the whole thing. I like that character, and it was one heck of a total curb-stomp fight. And that giant clock thing is just awesome. I love anything with lots of spinning gears or chains. Or spinning gears attached to chains. No, I dont know why. Also her abilities are just so freaking odd. Not many characters fight by repeatedly shooting themselves. And usually when they do shoot themselves, it doesnt summon time clones (though she doesnt do that in this clip as it's not the entire fight). Whole series is quite strange.

There's also Tokyo Ghoul. Recent, and another serious one. I'd show a clip, but that's a bad idea. It's a *very* bloody and dark series. I tend to like horror series, but they're oddly rare, when it comes to anime. There was one particular scene, which I wont describe, that I frankly could barely even look at. Normally I *never* get affected by blood/gore in anime. But that scene was a special exception even though it wasnt very bloody. Ugh. I get anxiety just thinking about it. But other than that unholy nightmare of a scene, it's a good series. Depressing as heck, but good. I havent gone all the way through it yet.

Despite it being a classic I've never seen any Dragon Ball. Didn't know it was still ongoing, interesting.

Yup! They came out with Dragon Ball Super last year I believe which continues shortly after Dragon Ball Z/Z Kai and it also incorporated the movies Resurrection of F and Battle of the Gods into the show as well.

The last one i watched was あずまんが大王, and that was back in January.
Been quite busy lately, and have little priority in watching anything in at the moment.

New Threads

Top Bottom