• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

West Coast / Pacific NW Heat Wave

You're getting our weather, and you're getting ours then. Normally, we get what's called "June Gloom", where the weather is about 60 and rainy until a little after the 4th of July.

LOL. "June Gloom". I like that. Somewhat descriptive of our usual weather patterns sans the rain itself.

Just not this year though. And it appears we're to have yet a third round of triple digits before the end of the month! Crazy....:eek:

Been here for about 13 years and have never recalled so much hot weather this early into the season. :confused:

No cooking for me today. Off to Taco Bell for some grub. Some cheese, onions and diced tomatoes added and heated in the microwave, but that's about it.

Just 96 right now, but I don't think the thermometer is quite done rising today.

The excessive heat warning doesn't start until tomorrow.

199883694_10221224362011929_8313217765087068236_n.jpg

Weird to just wake up and it's already in the 80s, which in my parts is usually a warm summer afternoon.

Looks like 102 today and 105 tomorrow. First time we've had 100+ where I am.

No AC as usually we might get 2-3 days of 90 in a typical summer.

Last edited:
My biggest debate? There is a classic car show on Canada Day (Thursday this week), what could be the first big one since 2019 really (thanks Covid!), with pent up anticipation I think this could be an epic show, but...

Predicted temperature at this point will be anywhere from 95 to perhaps 100 in an open field, I want to go, yet looking at the forecast do I really want to go? :eek: Yet more of that dreaded fear of missing out that I've always struggled with, yet I'll admit I'm going through major withdrawal...

I'm really sorry about that. I know what it's like to live under tight lockdowns.

Actually July 1 (Canada Day) is when Alberta really opens up, just that 2020 had no car shows for obvious reasons, it's just going to be a very hot day to be outside anywhere this week!

We are still locked down here, few more weeks, probably to the end of july, only good thing weather not to bad.

Is that a space ship?
That is a home weather station. You can see today's high and last night's low, "Feels like" temp., actual temp, relative humidity, indoor temp, indoor relative humidity. In the circle is current wind speed and the highest recent gust.

This is the weather for today. It was a bit hotter. Still 110F well after 5 pm. A little warm inside. We don't have AC, just an evaporative cooler.

temperature.jpg

That is very cool. I don't have a cooler here, never needed one. I am remembering how to deal with it all. Take the vitamins! Measure water intake! And cold water baths at around 3pm. The last one helps alot. In my youth we used to stand in shorts and bare feet and spray the lower legs with a water hose.
20210627_182831.jpg

My biggest debate? There is a classic car show on Canada Day (Thursday this week), what could be the first big one since 2019 really (thanks Covid!), with pent up anticipation I think this could be an epic show, but...

Predicted temperature at this point will be anywhere from 95 to perhaps 100 in an open field, I want to go, yet looking at the forecast do I really want to go? :eek: Yet more of that dreaded fear of missing out that I've always struggled with, yet I'll admit I'm going through major withdrawal...
As long as you are in good health you could still go. Wear a wide brim straw hat, bring water and get somewhere shady for 10 min every hour. I was cutting brush today, I almost passed out

Ahh. I just took a very late night cold bath. I ran the water as cold as I could stand it, with just a bit of warm water, so it wouldn't be "screaming" cold. I feel like a million bucks now!
The cold water bath is turning into an every day thing for me now

Yesterday around 5:00pm it was 101 with 11 percent humidity. More of the same today. Makes us all nervous given the inherent fire danger. So much cheat grass all around.

Thank goodness for air conditioning, but further north I know there are so many in Oregon and Washington without it. Hope they can get by somehow under the circumstances. Mighty rough for those folks. Living in Washington many years ago, we never had any real need for air conditioning.

Yesterday around 5:00pm it was 101 with 11 percent humidity. More of the same today. Makes us all nervous given the inherent fire danger. So much cheat grass all around.

Thank goodness for air conditioning, but further north I know there are so many in Oregon and Washington without it. Hope they can get by somehow under the circumstances. Mighty rough for those folks. Living in Washington many years ago, we never had any real need for air conditioning.

Here in Calgary, according to weather records being talked about on the news, we have never had this much hot weather for this many days in a row, it's more the length of the heat wave that is the concern...

Talking to some friends yesterday from South Africa (who live here now), they said where they used to live this would be an average summer temperature, it's all a matter of perspective and also what we're used to...

Here in Calgary, according to weather records being talked about on the news, we have never had this much hot weather for this many days in a row, it's more the length of the heat wave that is the concern...

Talking to some friends yesterday from South Africa (who live here now), they said where they used to live this would be an average summer temperature, it's all a matter of perspective and also what we're used to...

True. Equally we're getting triple-digit temps earlier this year, but the temperatures themselves are nothing new for the High Desert. But it's starting to give new meaning to that that phrase, "The Long, Hot Summer".

Yet this can be perilous for so many locales that don't normally require air conditioning. And it's generally a very expensive proposition for most people. Though if you're elderly it may be a worthwhile investment rather than just another painful expense.

It's when you just have to turn a blind eye to your next utilities bill. :oops:

Listening to the news this morning and the fire department had to go out on multiple search and rescue missions yesterday. People who think they can "handle a little heat" and then keel over when maybe they really can't do strenuous things like hiking up mountains in 110F weather. And then rescue people (sometimes volunteers) have to do things like hiking up mountains in 110F weather with 40 lbs of gear. Some of them end up in the hospital too.

We took the dogs up to the top of Mt. Pinos, about an hour's drive from here. It was 76F and partly cloudy with a gentle breeze. We thought it would be a total zoo but there were only a few cars there. Walked around, had a picnic, took a snooze, walked some more, and then headed back home.

The parking area is at roughly 8300 ft. elevation. I worship at the alter of the dry adiabatic lapse rate during hot weather.

Dry Adiabatic Lapse Rate
The rate at which the temperature of a parcel of dry air decreases as the parcel is lifted in the atmosphere. The dry adiabatic lapse rate (abbreviated DALR) is 5.5°F per 1000 ft or 9.8°C per km.
Source: National Weather Service

I thought you guys might appreciate watching this.

It's a two hour video of a blizzard in the forest. The only sound is the whipping of icy wind and the crackle of ice in the tree branches.

A little toastier today in the desert. And the temperature sensor is in the shade.

With only 10% humidity, this place is a tinderbox. And so close to July 4th. :eek:

I think the "forecast" feature of this device is busted. No rain I see. :rolleyes:

MPF_1492.jpg

Last edited:
It's closer to 120 in the city. Be careful, our weather is heading your way.

Yeah, just heard it was 117 in Salem today. That's as high as I've ever experienced a few times in Walnut Creek, California. Dangerous to be outside for any reason. But even there pretty much everyone has air conditioning.

Not sure what to expect tomorrow. Supposedly our numbers will drop, but I'll believe it when I feel it.

New Threads

Top Bottom