• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

West Coast / Pacific NW Heat Wave

After two days of 104, looks like today's high will be in the upper 80s, and the rest of the week will be a more moderate low 80s. Glad this is over with.

Is still not over here in BC. 41C/104.5F this afternoon.
We have no AC, so I turned the kitchen table into a swamp cooler. It's been keeping the temperature inside steady in the high 70s, at the expense of making it more humid in here. I open the windows at night to let out the humidity.
Today's supposed to be our peak day. So hopefully it starts to get better soon.

Lots of pine forests where I live (Southern Europe), wildfires are always a big danger in such heat.

The weirdness continues. Four straight days with 100+ temps. Clear and hot in the morning and early afternoon, then thundershowers in the late afternoon. Can't recall a pattern like this in the past.

But we sure need the rain. Whatever we can get to mitigate lightning strikes that can set the whole desert on fire so easily. And it usually brings down the temperature by at least 15 degrees over a few hours. Win-win. :)

1. it is still hot. In addition to the heat, 2. smoke is filtering in from fires to the west. And 3. people are blowing off fireworks, which is supposedly legal but adds another layer to the sensory overload of this night.

1. it is still hot. In addition to the heat, 2. smoke is filtering in from fires to the west. And 3. people are blowing off fireworks, which is supposedly legal but adds another layer to the sensory overload of this night.

It's what makes July 4th a bit of a downer each year. The fire risk, along with all the noise people make setting off fireworks that remain patently illegal here in the desert. But people do it anyways. Tough on many of us on the spectrum and especially our pets.

Finally. At least today it appears it won't get to 100 degrees and beyond. But at 92 degrees I don't see it raining either.

@Yeshuasdaughter - Are you trying to make the suggestion with all the solar flare/sun cycle stuff that climate change is related to the sun, not human activity?

I'm not going to argue with you about it either way, I'm just curious. I wasn't sure if you were intending to imply that, or if I'm reading more in to your posts than intended.

Looking like yet another day of 105+ temps. But I won't be staying indoors because of the heat, so much as the smoke from the Beckwourth Fire. Winds have shifted, and the smell of smoke is terrible at the moment.

Right now the western horizon is now dark grey- all smoke and few clouds. :(

Looking like yet another day of 105+ temps. But I won't be staying indoors because of the heat, so much as the smoke from the Beckwourth Fire. Winds have shifted, and the smell of smoke is terrible at the moment.

Right now the western horizon is now dark grey- all smoke and no clouds. :(

It's smoky up here too. Not as bad though it sounds like. I can't really smell it much. But it's visible, so I'm sure breathing it isn't so great for the lungs. I'm still trying to get some work done outside anyhow. At least in small increments. It's still pretty warm here too (high 80s) so I don't last long before I have to come in and cool off and drink more water.

It's smoky up here too. Not as bad though it sounds like. I can't really smell it much. But it's visible, so I'm sure breathing it isn't so great for the lungs. I'm still trying to get some work done outside anyhow. At least in small increments. It's still pretty warm here too (high 80s) so I don't last long before I have to come in and cool off and drink more water.

Yes. Reminds me of how some of our thunderstorm systems were headed in a northwest direction passing right over your border. And with it, all that smoke from the Beckwourth fire.

Though this direction of wind is probably the least common for us. Under more normal circumstances the air quality of Reno would be catastrophic with the wind going in an east to southeastern direction. Which could easily happen at this point. But then fires in California and Nevada are a usual occurrence here each summer. Still it's always frustrating to discover that fires like this were man-made. Usually accidents that did not have to happen.

Indeed. I'm not sure where the smoke is from. We've got a pile of fires now too cause of the thunderstorms you mentioned.
Apparently just last Thursday, the BC interior got 26000 lightning strikes.
After all this heat, it's a tinderbox for such storms.
And yet, despite that.. So far the most destructive fires to peoples' homes have all been started by humans.. :/

Indeed. I'm not sure where the smoke is from. We've got a pile of fires now too cause of the thunderstorms you mentioned.
Apparently just last Thursday, the BC interior got 26000 lightning strikes.
After all this heat, it's a tinderbox for such storms.
And yet, despite that.. So far the most destructive fires to peoples' homes have all been started by humans.. :/

Yeah- I didn't even factor in fires in central and eastern Washington. I hear about them usually from my brother who lives in the Spokane area. They often have similar conditions to ours, although the fire load with all their forestation is potentially much worse year-to-year. East of the Sierras here and the fire load is mostly cheat grass- not lush forestation.

Though I'd think the wind patterns in both BC and Washington are even more consistent given offshore weather patterns. (I lived in Washington twice many years ago.) That when you get smoke from our fires I'd think it would be a rare occurrence.

Yet these days everything seems bizarre and rare when it comes to the weather. :eek:

Last edited:
Yeah- I didn't even factor in fires in central and eastern Washington. I hear about them usually from my brother who lives in the Spokane area. They often have similar conditions to ours, although the fire load with all their forestation is potentially much worse year-to-year. East of the Sierras here and the fire load is mostly cheat grass- not lush forestation.

Though I'd think the wind patterns in both BC and Washington are even more consistent given offshore weather patterns. (I lived in Washington twice many years ago.) That when you get smoke from our fires I'd think it would be a rare occurrence.

Yet these days everything seems bizarre and rare when it comes to the weather. :eek:

I think we get most of our weather coming in from the southwest. Seems often that whatever Seattle/Portland gets, we'll get a day later. But of course if it's rain, we'll still get less as most of it already fell on the coast.

I miss visiting Spokane. Pre-covid border closures, we used to go there probably monthly at least. It's our closest large city. Seems like a very friendly city.

The Washington fire(s) are sending a lot of smoke into the Missoula area and the Bitterroot V.
In this weather with this level of fire danger, I now keep a couple of bags packed.
We were evacuated for a couple of days back in 2013. I want to have some essentials ready so as to not have to make too many decisions if worse comes to worst.

New Threads

Top Bottom