• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

West Coast / Pacific NW Heat Wave

@ Judge did you "get" to feel the earthquake? My brother lives in Gardnerville and it was pretty interesting for him and his wife.

@ Judge did you "get" to feel the earthquake? My brother lives in Gardnerville and it was pretty interesting for him and his wife.

LOL. You could say that! :eek: But then they always seem more intense when I'm sitting down in front of the television rather than moving around at the time.

Egad....Gardnerville was the one place where I wouldn't want to be during that one. It wasn't bad here, but it seemed to last a long time. Much more than any others I've experienced in quite a long time.

It's interesting how heatwaves in the NW Pacific seem to be coinciding with heatwaves in Southern Europe.

The triple digit temps have tapered off a little in the last week. But the Tamarack Fire smoke we're getting now is some of the worst I've even seen or breathed. Sure hope the wind direction changes.

It's really awful and continuing to blow towards the northwest. Wondering if those of you as far as Portland are getting some of this.

I feel trapped in my apartment, where opening the door even for a few seconds is a bad idea. And forget going out anywhere in the car.

At this point I'll take the heat over the smoke. :oops:

@Judge Smoke has for the moment backed off for my area. Daughter lives just across the river from Portland in Vancouver; she said the air is & had been clear and fresh.
Hope you have an air purifier &/or hepa filter on the a/c intake.
I keep waiting to hear how my brother & wife are doing on their place, 3 acres, in Gardnerville. Last time I spoke to him, they were outside cleaning & raking up as much as possible. Black ash falling there. A terrible fire. Grover H.S. used to be one of my favorite little getaways.

@Judge Smoke has for the moment backed off for my area. Daughter lives just across the river from Portland in Vancouver; she said the air is & had been clear and fresh.
Hope you have an air purifier &/or hepa filter on the a/c intake.
I keep waiting to hear how my brother & wife are doing on their place, 3 acres, in Gardnerville. Last time I spoke to him, they were outside cleaning & raking up as much as possible. Black ash falling there. A terrible fire. Grover H.S. used to be one of my favorite little getaways.

The Tamarack Fire getting a little too close for comfort towards Gardnerville Ranchos. On the map it looks like around 2 miles from the perimeter. And we were planning to visit Minden in another 10 days. Maybe not.

Only 27% contained as of today. And if the wind changes, we may start getting smoke from the Dixie Fire. :(

Minden is likely off limits for a while. I was going to make the loop down to Death Valley this autumn. Then across to Lone Pine (great place for an overnight) & staying mostly on 395, with side trips to June Lake and my favorite ghost town (not going to name it here), slowly making my way north to visit them. Perhaps another year. :(
The whole area is deep in my roots and so this wildfire epidemic ticks me off. If they wanted to throw more resources toward stopping them, they could do so.

and my favorite ghost town

Would this place be in the vicinity? ;)

Untitled-2.jpg

Or this one?

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone else been dealing with power outages? Last night we had the second one in 3 days.

Has anyone else been dealing with power outages? Last night we had the second one in 3 days.

Momentarily here last night. I'm pretty sure we had a power surge as well. Lights came on that were not supposed to be on. Yet the number of devices that came on and off were not consistent. Very strange.
Luckily my computers were not on at the time. Though Internet access through my router went down. Had to reboot it and my modem to get it all back. But because of the thunderstorm I opted to keep it all off for the evening.

We sure needed that rain though.

The west coast states really need to start thinning out the undergrowth again. Well-meaning governors stopped the practice a few years ago, and that's how we're getting these megafires.

Most of that undergrowth is invasive anyway. If we do controlled burns like we used to, we can get rid of that undergrowth, and healthy, slow growing native plants will have a chance to thrive in their place. It also creates healthier habitats for wildlife.

#Ilikeblueskiesandbreathing

Anyone else wake up to orange skies today?

Be gentle on yourselves, this is bad air to be exercising in. Also there's another heat wave coming for some people, next week it looks like.

I am so thankful for my little window air conditioner. It's the little engine that could!

I need to buy the sky some lotion, because it sure is looking ashy!

Had some smoky sun earlier in the week but okay now. Looks like it's going to be an interesting summer. Still lots of 80s and lots of fires.

Fires burning where I live (Southern Europe) out of control, houses and forest are burning. Very soon there'll be nothing left :(
No people casualties, but all the forest wildlife, people who leave their homes and abandon their pets :(
At least they managed to round up the horses from the riding schools and take them to safety.

Fires burning where I live out of control, houses and forest are burning. Very soon there'll be nothing left :(
No people casualties, but all the forest wildlife, people who leave their homes and abandon their pets :(
I'm sorry. We had terrible fires like that in my area last year. Where do you live?

In Greece.
That's amazing, I didn't know you were Greek. I am in Oregon. There are a lot of forests here, and they don't thin out the invasive under growth like they used to, so it's created mega fires in the last couple years.

New Threads

Top Bottom