• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weird things you did when you were little

Lots of things... like suddenly rushing from one end of the room to the other, when someone was talking to me, eating food in a certain order... though my sister did this too, so maybe it isn't so unusual. Lining up Smarties from the tube and eating them in order of light colours to dark ones.

Immediately after breakfast I grabbed my "good Spoom" and ran outside to dig in the dirt at a certain spot
in the yard where I just knew there was something good waiting for me. Never found it.
No wonder I got the same obsession with Oak Island as Rick Lagina at the same age from that Reader's digest story! At least he dug up a granite stone in his yard!
Had to have a certain plate/cup/ chair when I ate.
Played with my plastic child's record player (a stack of 45 rpms) most of the day while pretending
I was Tuggy the Tug Boat when I hid under my baby bed.
Born in AZ, I've been collecting rocks ever since.
Probably too many strange things to even mention.

hmm; not too strange, but I used to like Blues Clues when I was little, and when I would be out with my parents I'd occasionally point to random stuff and be like "a clue! a clue!"

Here's mine:
I would say something, then whisper the same thing I just said multiple times over

It is called Palilalia and I had that aswell until my early teenage years. This is actually the thing that objectivly oriented me toward a asd diagnosis, I was looking at a lot of things online but couldnt realy relate to anything about mental health until I found someone talking about that.

Other than that...what is considered weird or not its hard to tell...

Feeling the urge to jump above furnitures like armchair in the living room? And doing it kek.

When I was a kid I organised stuff like playing a video game IRL , like re acting what I Saw on video games,then I stuffed notebook with some games like little RPG with labyrinth lv and boss fights.

Ho also when I was a kid I always wanted to stick to a wall when I was sleeping, like sleeping on my side and facing the wall.

And also taking my socks off once and only I was i my bed, I had an argument with my mother about it years ago, I do it less often but when I do I often feel pure bliss when I do so xD

Where do I start?
I had an obsession with sorting things into alphabetical order. All the bookshelves in the house for a start. All my toys, including Lego bricks (using colour as the deciding alphabetical factor) and even kitchen cupboards.
I taught myself to read before I started school (which upset my first school no end - they accused my mum of being "irresponsible" and said I would have to "unlearn" and then be "taught properly") using Ladybird picture dictionaries. At the age of 3 1/2 I took a biro and wrote the word "Fire" hundreds of times all over my wallpaper in my bedroom, as far as I could reach, because I thought the picture of the fire engine in the dictionary was so exciting.
I did NOT grow up to be a pyromaniac btw ;)

Weird stuff would be the headbanging for sure. It was more like bashing my head into the pillow. I did it so hard and so long that my crib would inch all the way across the room! I did that till I was about ten. I ought to do it again. I bet it would help with sleep. Also, major sensory issues. Could not sleep anywhere but my crib. Over stimulated easily. Cried at birthdays, etc.

But my parents were smart and when they saw all the energy, they got me into gymnastics pretty quickly. Later I lost the ability to eat and speak in public and acquired all the other things, like around 14. Then I got the dxes.

Chewing the wires on game controllers when frustrated.
Got in trouble for that so started chewing the controller instead.

Hand flapping when excited, I guess you could call it a "stim", and I still do it sometimes.

Last edited:
I really liked to make rivers using the hose and I was particularly obsessed with making different types of mud. I wouldn't actually play with the mud, I was more interested in making unique visual textures using different types of soil/different amounts of water. I considered it of utmost importance not to touch the mud, or else the beauty would be ruined.

Would wear a pink bunny costume my mom made me for Halloween any time of year, for several years, and would go outside and hop around pretending to be a bunny. Costume got torn from age and my outgrowing it and it would need to be sewn up, so I must have looked more like a Frankenbunny.

Once saw construction machines tearing apart an old house from across the street. Got so scared of them I hid in my bed for the rest of the day.

Had an abnormal fear of using public bathrooms or toilets in unfamiliar places. Had no problem going to the bathroom at home, school, or at a house I frequently visited, but stores and campgrounds were a nightmare.

Would wear a pink bunny costume

Now I can't help but imagine you being the female Ralphie from A Christmas Story at the time :p

bunny1.jpg

I ate a lot of grass and paper for some reason, the actual food I ate consisted 90% of spaghetti o's and peanut butter and jelly (and still does HAHA), and I was obsessed with time and saving time so I'd do things like tie my shoes into a dozen knots until it was this giant, floppy knot-mess so I could save time by not tying them again, among many other weird "time-saving" things, and I started playing piano because I felt like time kept passing and I had nothing tangible to show for it.

I once ate the hat from a Playmobil Nurse figure, and then it *ahem* came out fully intact when I had an *ahem* number 2 in the bath....

Let's see as much as I can remember:

Hitting my head with my hands like my they were talking to me through my mind. (I was stupid..)

Hitting my head when I got frustrated cause I couldn't talk and had to get speech therapy.

Couldn't sit in chair, touch a table, or walk on carpet as I didn't like the texture or feeling of it. (Yeah, I might have been a little mistake..)

Acted like an animal, dressed, and ate like one. (people said I took it too far)

I used to stim by bouncing while laying down in the bed or swing my leg and hit it against the bed.

I used to try to "sooth" myself by scratching a spot where something I didn't like touched me. I still kind of do that when I end up touching sticky nasty texture (like gum some asshole left under the seat). When I walk on a sticky floor, I end up scratching at my feet to relieve and get rid of that sticky feeling.

Had an abnormal fear of NOT the spider, but the spider's WEB! I could NOT touch a web to save my life! That sticky, stringy texture, -shudders- I really can't touch something like that!

Now I could just have sensory processing disorder because my mother said I always screamed or cried when something touched me. I noticed I always had a more sensitive sense of smell than everyone else does as I tend to use air freshener a lot and even spray it in my face when I smell an odor just to rid my nose of the odor. My sensitive hearing didn't come til my ears opened up at 14, and here I am, suffering a life of torture from just that! If only I had been diagnosed when I was little, maybe my childhood wouldn't have been so bad.. The bad step father mostly ruined it because he would always try to get me in trouble. Me and him met again, so he could see his son--my little brother--recently when my friend spent the night, but he gave me $15 for my birthday, and I thanked him. So now Idk what to feel about him. I could just forget it, but my childhood mostly involved him. But then again, it probably wouldn't have been so horrible if I had been diagnosed at an early age..

Wet the bed until pretty old.

I couldn't bring myself to watch most t.v. programs because all the conflict upset me. Wound up watching a lot of documentaries, because they were calming.

Daydreamed constantly and avoided socialization. Hid in the bathroom to avoid interacting with people.

Dressed strangely. Wore mismatched socks, age inappropriate clothing, pigtails askew or badly parted.

Pretended to be younger than I was. Hid my period. Wore multiple clothes layers and sweaters even in summer to hide my chest.

Slept too much.

I collected all the spent fireworks on the 5th of July.

Last edited:
My Halloween hijinks: I was more interested in sorting my candy than in eating it. Was told that I ate sticks of butter and margerine like candy bars.

New Threads

Top Bottom