• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Turning 35 this August

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
I am going to be 35 this August. After that, I have five more years until I turn 40. This is really weighing on me because I still haven’t accomplished many things in my life and my best efforts aren’t ever enough despite my age. You’d think I would have things figured out after living for three decades but I honestly don’t. I am starting to feel like maybe it’s pathetic I am asking for help at my age?

Im curious, where are these feelings stemming from?
I have four siblings who are all married, have their own families, are liked by people in general, and are living their dreams.

Me? I can’t even get a coffee date, I will probably never have children, I am still bullied to this day, and I can’t achieve what I wish I could do. I have fallen behind and I can’t catch up.

Some of the things i might say will see a bit harsh, and i don't like humiliating people.

Think of it as akin to a parent who has to give their child a stern talking to. If that clarifies things.

Some of the things i might say will see a bit harsh, and i don't like humiliating people.

Think of it as akin to a parent who has to give their child a stern talking to. If that clarifies things.
I have strained relationships with my own parents. Instead of constructive criticism, they screamed at me and even harmed me physically.

Me? I can’t even get a coffee date, I will probably never have children, I am still bullied to this day, and I can’t achieve what I wish I could do. I have fallen behind and I can’t catch up.
Same here. I can't get a coffee date because there are literally no single woman anywhere the places I go. What an embarrassment it would be even if I asked a woman for a coffee which would be a huge step for me as I would be terrified just to find out she has a boyfriend or a husband.

Same here. I can't get a coffee date because there are literally no single woman anywhere the places I go. What an embarrassment it would be even if I asked a woman for a coffee which would be a huge step for me as I would be terrified just to find out she has a boyfriend or a husband.
The fish have all been caught?

That's rough....

The fish have all been caught?

That's rough....
Trust me. For every man that feels this way there is a woman who is still searching for bait. To stay in the analogy. It might be very easy to say as I`m married and have kids. But there are places to meet women that are also still looking for a partner. If it feels like everyone has already found a partner why not go to a place you know that is far less likely to happen. I don't know if they have them near the places you live but sometimes things like speeddating could be a thing. I know Tony does not like online dating. So why not go oldschool and try to get a date via a matchmaker. It basically works the same as online dating but you know the other person truly exist since she also had an intake. Usually matchmakers are very good at their jobs and you end up on a date with someone you are very likely to have things in common with. It might not be your favorite way of going about it. But from what I have seen on these forums both of you are very much afraid to miss the train and are very frustrated you have not found love yet. So it might be time to look towards other ways of finding someone if that is something you truly want to do.
The first couple might be horrible. They might be very triggering and you are most likely get a shutdown or burnout after. But as you gain experience it might just become a fun experience which could match you with a partner. Or an experience which helps you increase your selfesteem to go about it on your own in the future.
It might be a lot. But please give it a good thought.

They are them. You are you. Do not judge yourself by others. Be the best "you" that you can be, and don't worry 'bout being the best "them" you can be.

If you haven't achieved your objectives, consider that those objectives might not be well suited for who you are. They are objectives that someone else told you that you should have. A Ferrari should not aspire to be a great Jeep. The reverse is also true. Neither vehicle should aspire to be a Honda CRV or a Mack truck, which have their own styles of excellence.

I agree to an extent. However. Both these gentlemen have expressed several times what they want their best selves to have. And that is a partner. Nevertheless, it is an nice analogy for many other aspects in their lives.

And please understand to most probably none of the people that tell you this do so to hurt you. If it triggers you, I`m sorry I mentioned it. But none of the people that have mentioned it most likely had no way of knowing they would.

They are them. You are you. Do not judge yourself by others. Be the best "you" that you can be, and don't worry 'bout being the best "them" you can be.

If you haven't achieved your objectives, consider that those objectives might not be well suited for who you are. They are objectives that someone else told you that you should have. A Ferrari should not aspire to be a great Jeep. The reverse is also true. Neither vehicle should aspire to be a Honda CRV or a Mack truck, which have their own styles of excellence.
My parents actually did not want me to ever have a girlfriend or a wife and discouraged me from having children. They just wanted me to be a mindless robot.

Take care of yourself and you will eventually reach the age where 40 is young to you.

You are not a failure just because you are single. Frankly, feeling that way makes you less attractive to potential mates more than your looks or your words would. People love confident mates. I see no reason why you should not have any confidence. You’re still relatively young. You still have time to turn your brainwaves around and become a great potential partner. It is all about the attitude.

I felt like I would be forever single a decade ago. Therapy helped, and while I am currently single, I know I can land a mate when the circumstances come together right. I have a couple of ex boyfriends now and we still get along great with each other.

Lack of confidence is not metal.

I agree to an extent. However. Both these gentlemen have expressed several times what they want their best selves to have. And that is a partner. Nevertheless, it is an nice analogy for many other aspects in their lives.
. . . . want their best selves to have? I have yet to see their best selves. I've seen resentment, I've seen negative bias, I've seen whining. What I have not seen are people confident in who they are, living independent lives, able to express an enjoyment of life.

. . . . want their best selves to have? I have yet to see their best selves. I've seen resentment, I've seen negative bias, I've seen whining. What I have not seen are people confident in who they are, living independent lives, able to express an enjoyment of life.
I`m not claiming they are their best selves yet. Maybe they are, but I refuse to believe that. Your best self is something to work towards. Honostly I have seen the exact same things you have. This does not mean we can still try to help them with advise. Maybe if they discover they too can land a potential partner it will make it easier for them fot reach the goals you mentioned. A partner will not cause those things to happen. But it can make it easier to become confident, and feeling joy. My partner certainly helped me make me my best self.

@Markness,
This is a bit off topic, but do you enjoy celebrating your birthday? If so, are you making any plans for August?

I like to go away to a quiet place if I can, for pensive time with my mutt.

I`m not claiming they are their best selves yet. Maybe they are, but I refuse to believe that. Your best self is something to work towards. Honostly I have seen the exact same things you have. This does not mean we can still try to help them with advise. Maybe if they discover they too can land a potential partner it will make it easier for them fot reach the goals you mentioned. A partner will not cause those things to happen. But it can make it easier to become confident, and feeling joy. My partner certainly helped me make me my best self.
I relate to your idea that an accepting partner will help them grow, but they need to be minimally competent to get somebody to stick around to understand their positives. Part of that is being able to reflect a positive enjoyment of life and I do not see that at all. Instead, @Markness channels being a wind sock, subject to what he thinks others believe about him, rather than being internally driven.

New Threads

Top Bottom