• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Troubles working in healthcare

Utini

Looking for other people that are familiar with a busy job in healthcare or any loud and fast paced job really. Would like to know if you have any of the same problems/feelings.

My biggest concern lately, as I get older is that I don't take care of myself at work. I'm a CNA on a med/surg/neuro floor. I'm on my feet all day in a hospital because I'm afraid to sit down in fear that others would think I am not doing my job. Everybody knows that I do my job so I don't get where this is coming from in my mimd. I don't take breaks for the same reason. I never stand up for myself and I pretty much just throw my body wherever needed. I have bone spurs and chronic pack pain. I don't share this with anybody because in my mind nobody cares or believes that I am in pain. Pain is not something I can show easily.

I think a portion of my problem is that I work extra hard to make up for my lack of empathy with patients and don't know how to small talk.

In the end, I worry that I will end up crippled at an early age of 30 something. Would like to hear some similar experiences or ideas.

Last edited:
I have bone spurs and chronic pack pain. I don't share this with anybody because in my mind nobody cares or believes that I am in pain.
You could go to your doctors and have them confirm about any medical problems you have. That way, they will have to listen and accommodate to your needs.

The fact of life is, no one really cares about anyone else but themselves, especially in the work place, so just do what’s right for you to protect your own health and well-being.

The people who mind don’t matter. And the ones who matter don’t mind. (Quote)

Looking for other people that are familiar with a busy job in healthcare or any loud and fast paced job really. Would like to know if you have any of the same problems/feelings.

My biggest concern lately, as I get older is that I don't take care of myself at work. I'm a CNA on a med/surg/neuro floor. I'm on my feet all day in a hospital because I'm afraid to sit down in fear that others would think I am not doing my job. Everybody knows that I do my job so I don't get where this is coming from in my mimd. I don't take breaks for the same reason. I never stand up for myself and I pretty much just throw my body wherever needed. I have bone spurs and chronic pack pain. I don't share this with anybody because in my mind nobody cares or believes that I am in pain. Pain is not something I can show easily.

I think a portion of my problem is that I work extra hard to make up for my lack of empathy with patients and don't know how to small talk.

In the end, I worry that I will end up crippled at an early age of 30 something. Would like to hear some similar experiences or ideas.
Get a T.E.N.S machine pain relief no side effects .I'm the same as you ,haven't been employed but feel guilty about sit-
ting down .
I have hypermoblity syndrome it's excruciating in my toe ,osteoarthritis down my left side my left thigh goes numb terrifying I cared for my mother who had Pseudo bulbar palsy (motor neurone disease)paralysed completely at 9 months after diagnosis .
Went from 9.5 st to 3.5 stones couldn't :hoist ,weight bare .
Sciatica got worse after caring for her .
M.N.D nurse told us to do 5 getting out of car back stretches .

Put yourself first.
You are, and likely always will be, a healer.
Meet with your primary care doc, get a referral to an orthopedic doc, and get stuff documented.
Take the breaks allowed by law.
Stay hydrated, and use the restroom when you can.
Remember, lots of patients can feel your caring, even if you can’t smalltalk. Your calm attentiveness, your very presence can put them at ease better than chatter. Bring present for someone who us suffering means a lot.

Hot baths and core stretching/core strengthening may ease your back, legs, feet. I’m wishing you peace and wellness. Please take good care of yourself!

You probably are working more than other people!

I am studying industrial design and working on developing spaces/ products that can make the physical and social environment functional for aspies etc. a lot of that is destigmatising not “NT” behavior.

I managed a science research center for three summers and had a boss that was really flexible with my need to sometimes organize things in a dark room/ participate sometime in the background at company events and be a little over anal about the way the schedule/ meeting rooms etc were organized. It made such a huge difference to have open communication, acceptance and appreciation of the PERKS of being on the spectrum.

If you have any ideas about things you think could help you- including regulating rooms, communication systems I am surveying people. I have based a lot of my product research on people’s natural self regulating behaviors and work and gaps in communication. Finding a way to market in a way to destigmatize neurodiverse behavior is important.

You probably are working more than other people!

I am studying industrial design and working on developing spaces/ products that can make the physical and social environment functional for aspies etc. a lot of that is destigmatising not “NT” behavior.

I managed a science research center for three summers and had a boss that was really flexible with my need to sometimes organize things in a dark room/ participate sometime in the background at company events and be a little over anal about the way the schedule/ meeting rooms etc were organized. It made such a huge difference to have open communication, acceptance and appreciation of the PERKS of being on the spectrum.

If you have any ideas about things you think could help you- including regulating rooms, communication systems I am surveying people. I have based a lot of my product research on people’s natural self regulating behaviors and work and gaps in communication. Finding a way to market in a way to destigmatize neurodiverse behavior is important.
Same as for animals that have been injured a dark( higher than body temperature )warm room and a message that says keep your voices very low.
And intercom that filters out high-pitched sound,lighting to lower eye sensitivity( dark green in Hue ).
Cleaning products that clean instantly but have no nauseating odours.
Seating that has universally got memory foam in it .

Ah, the first rule of first aid is to look after yourself. You can't help others and even make things worse if you become a casualty.

That applies to any vocation.

I worked until I dropped into anxiety and depression. It is taking years to recover.

Take care.

I work in healthcare as well. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that you have to take care of yourself, no one else will. I used to skip breaks too (because that's when I'd get most work done, in the quiet, while my colleagues were in the break room). I would basically work non stop from the start of my day till the end. I'd forget to drink because I was too focused on work. I was so worried I would look lazy that I was the first at work in the morning, and the last out the door at night. So worried about looking lazy or incompetent, even though the only one suggesting I might be any of these things was my own self-doubt. Unsurprisingly, I didn't last. Ended up burnt out and depressed, with chronic pain in back, shoulders and neck. It took me a year to return to any job, and almost three years to really start working in patient care again. Not because I wasn't good enough, but because I wasn't good enough at maintaining a healthy balance.

Overworking yourself is not good for you or your patients. When you're in pain, or tired, or dehydrated, that reduces your focus. When you keep going even though you're showing signs of overload, it increases the chance of completely burning out somewhere down the line. Take care of yourself. Take regular breaks, sit down if you don't have to stand, make sure to drink enough fluids during your shift, and don't skip breaks with your colleagues. Even though they might make you a little uncomfortable, this is the time to chitchat with your coworkers and find out they're experiencing the same issues you are.

If you have trouble voicing your own needs, try to think of yourself as a commodity: well-trained healthcare professionals are universally hard to find. It is therefore in your boss' best interest to keep you in proper working condition. However, your employer can't make accomodations for problems they don't know about. It's up to you to speak up about it, so you can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement. There's no need to feel weak, your body is simply showing wear and tear from a job that's both physically and mentally demanding. Many of your colleagues are probably going through the same.

Simple formula you cannot work if you are broken you must be complete to work

If you are the only one who takes care of you, then you have a moral obligation to do so!

You could go to your doctors and have them confirm about any medical problems you have. That way, they will have to listen and accommodate to your needs.

The fact of life is, no one really cares about anyone else but themselves, especially in the work place, so just do what’s right for you to protect your own health and well-being.

The people who mind don’t matter. And the ones who matter don’t mind. (Quote)

I am a 72 vìrgin who has never had a relationship. ....makes me a bitter person. Doctors are useless as are therapists. ..Roy.

New Threads

Top Bottom