• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trolling people online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why we do things like that to ourselves? Last night I watched a video on signs that one has abandonment issues, and one of the top comments was "how many of us watched this just to affirm what we already know is true?" as though many of us were afraid we didn't really have abandonment wounds, but just wanted to feel that way to justify our issues or something.

Where do you you think those kinds of feelings of self-loathing come from?

What movie was it? Sounds interesting.

I think it may be due to our unconscious programming as well as the nature of our brain. When a child is young, it learns certain things through observation, listening and repetition. If it is taught that it is bad or worthless, or a parasite - or any other degrading notion - it won't start to fully believe it by it will start asking questions if it is true.

I have a theory on why it turns into such self-destructive behaviours actually. You see, a human brain is, more or less, a problem-solving machine. When a child (or an adult but especially a child due to its vulnerability) is degraded or even mistakenly told things (like a wrong type of a compliment), it stands before 2 problems.

Problem 1: Why does the parent/guardian/person say/do the things they do?

Problem 2: Maybe... They're right?

Since even while we're not aware of it the brain keeps solving problems, it uncousciously starts to come up with solutions to them - and because of its vulnerability, the child doesn't have an ability of adult reasoning and will most often trust the words of a guardian - as such it will try to find 'solution' to the Problem 1 by answering positively to Problem 2 and arranging situations to prove it.

Which is why it's so important to make sure our brains, powerful as they are, have proper problems to solve and that the problems they try to solve don't contradict themselves. For example, if someone with a very low self-esteem tries to diet and loose weight, they can have this kind of an unconscious thinking process:

Problem 1: I want to lose weight.

Problem 2: I'm sure that I can't do it. I'm not strong/good enough, too lazy etc. Besides, even losing weight won't make me look good.

The Problem 2 contradicts Problem 1 and causes our own behaviour to destroy the notion of losing weight and solidify view of not being able to.

Dude this stuff is so funny!

Seems just astonishingly childish to me.

Like I said: Makes them look like agitated brat toddlers on a playground (the trolls, not the people they're targeting). This sort of thing is why everyone thinks trolls are so pathetic.

Name other times I was "narcissistic". I can't think of anything.

I can't remember specifics, but I do remember that you had some short replies lacking empathy to some sensitive threads, which seemed vastly different from the others in belief. It seemed to be there as something upsetting but I don't doubt it was honesty. That's why i thought you had no issue with us knowing about it, despite how it sounded. But you are also very young, maybe you don't have the awareness that older members have and don't care to mask your strictly logical opinions and don't know what you may come across like. Im actually trying to be more genuine myself, but of course explaining points of view is more complicated for us.

There were some threads that seemed to have themes that explored things that worried me about your personality, but I also can't name them. Your activity was mainly peaceful, apart from just discussing a sort of things and speaking out your opinion [even if it wouldn't have helped but this is practically what we're supposed to do here, be able to be honest and accepted without being ostracized].

I'm an opportunist. So I will troll absolutely anyone if I see an opportunity, even if the victim is someone who I actually care about which kinda makes things problematic after I become sober again from my euphoria and endless laughter. My mind will have "the plan" completely overshadow everything else I could possibly be thinking about at the moment like nothing else exists and I will not stop until I reach a "success" state or a "failure" state.
Sounds like inability to resist thoughts. That means this place isn't really safe either, despite us being liked by you. You could benefit from psychological help to better resist impulses to do harm and find a better output for enjoyment seeking.

Last edited:
Ive done my share of trolling just to survive on Wrong Planet, ive dealt with the worst trolls online from Encyclopedia Drammatica and 4 chan by trolling back and they backed off, i was very viscious in trolling back, over time i was set up on WP and permabanned from Wrong Planet by falling for the bait, it was a set up. Here i dont troll ive retired from trolling.

Dude this stuff is so funny!

Ah, the moderately harmless kind.

I remember some of the boys in my old class doing something similar during classes (without masks though, there weren't any at the time), throwing stuff, doing pranks, dancing, even singing - I remember not understanding them at all. They didn't annoy me, because classes were boring anyway, their little jokes or no jokes, and I would simply keep working on further lessons or read, ignoring them as much as anyone else.

When I think about it now, most of the time they were children from poor families or with very low grades/skills/'defects' (as perceived by other students and staff), one boy also, I think, had abusive parents. They would act out in such ways to get any kind of attention they could so as to seem 'included' in the group at school, even if momentarily and even if they would receive only negative or mocking perception in turn. I suspect that negative perception was the only thing some of them knew.

It's fascinating how differently you see things that happened to you or around you when you get older. It makes me a bit sad as well, because these were the kids that needed friends the most, but never got them. Their behaviour that was to lead to 'inclusion' into the group, would also lead them to becoming labelled as clowns by other students (and brats by the teachers) and, in the end, ignored or punished.

as such it will try to find 'solution' to the Problem 1 by answering positively to Problem 2 and arranging situations to prove it.

This is interesting! A reinforced internal bias would cloud attempts to improve it. Could you modify the bias either via repeated positive reinforcement or behavior therapy and THEN try and solve 1? But especially in kids, I'd imagine the situation causing 1 does not lend itself to identifying and fixing in this way.

This is interesting! A reinforced internal bias would cloud attempts to improve it. Could you modify the bias either via repeated positive reinforcement or behavior therapy and THEN try and solve 1? But especially in kids, I'd imagine the situation causing 1 does not lend itself to identifying and fixing in this way.

I believe that this is what CBT is based on - identification of problems, then a conscious attempt of changing the problems in a healthy way. This is also one of the ways of achieving a growth mindset in comparison to a fixed one. Example would be a thought 'I am worthless' where you look for reasons for such a thought, as well as a logical and objective explanation of your current situation instead of agreeing with the biased view you hold.

And I agree, I don't believe children can easily identify a problem, especially young children. Each child goes through a 'hero' (/'villain') phase where they perceive their guardian as all-knowing and omnipotent, so only after reaching adulthood and realising their own individuality can they start working on forming the 'right problems' without help. Yet even then it can be simply not enough - if one has a persistent thought/problem of not deserving help and not being good enough, one also will not look into solutions to contradict these thoughts, since brain is quite like water in this regard and will always go the path of least resistance.

I think the most important thing to realise is to know that we are not our thoughts and that thoughts, in fact, can be quite like children themselves, coming and going, very difficult to control at times. It depends on us what thoughts we allow ourselves to think - as Buddhists would say, the mind is a great garden where it depends on us as the gardener to shelter and tend to the plants or allow the weeds to grow. Another thing to remember would be that we think about 60 000 (up to 80 000) thoughts per day on average and that every day 95% of these thoughts are exactly the same ones as those we thought before in our lives - which is what makes it so important to make sure you receive a regular stream of new ideas, be it through videos, books or experiences.

But I think we came quite a bit off topic here. I hope OP doesn't mind but in case you're interested in further discussion, I recommend creating a specific thread for it.

Last edited:
I don’t see going somewhere that has mass agreement in one direction and having an honest disagreement or differing opinion or different experiences against the masses as trolling, though these things tend to get punished as trolling because it’s convenient for the majority in power to punish others with any excuse, and trolling is a convenient excuse

In reality, trolling without consequences tends to be basically bullying. Adding on more and more ridiculous accusations to inconvenient experiences and minority opinions to make the strange individual be defeated or get upset which can also be made light of. It’s classic bullying without fear of consequences where joining with a gang tormenting someone else makes member feel like they are powerful and part of a community by tormenting someone without allies

Like I do not see disagreeing with the masses or questioning mass agreement going on as trolling, but I do see joining a gang to torment even more someone who cannot win against as an online gang going after someone as not only trolling but bullying

Last edited:
It depends on how people take it. Ultimately, people can be snide and joke around for fun, so as long as the people on the receiving end of it are aware that that's all it is. You know? However, I've been the victim of genuine abuse. There's obviously a difference between having fun and harassing somebody. Believe me. I've been followed around a lot online, and gotten majorly pestered. So yeah. Just remember that it's not necessarily all that fun to put up with that hassle from strangers online. You also have to be careful about what you post online, as it's kind of there forever, eh?

What movie was it? Sounds interesting.

I think it may be due to our unconscious programming as well as the nature of our brain. When a child is young, it learns certain things through observation, listening and repetition. If it is taught that it is bad or worthless, or a parasite - or any other degrading notion - it won't start to fully believe it by it will start asking questions if it is true.

I have a theory on why it turns into such self-destructive behaviours actually. You see, a human brain is, more or less, a problem-solving machine. When a child (or an adult but especially a child due to its vulnerability) is degraded or even mistakenly told things (like a wrong type of a compliment), it stands before 2 problems.

Problem 1: Why does the parent/guardian/person say/do the things they do?

Problem 2: Maybe... They're right?

Since even while we're not aware of it the brain keeps solving problems, it uncousciously starts to come up with solutions to them - and because of its vulnerability, the child doesn't have an ability of adult reasoning and will most often trust the words of a guardian - as such it will try to find 'solution' to the Problem 1 by answering positively to Problem 2 and arranging situations to prove it.

Which is why it's so important to make sure our brains, powerful as they are, have proper problems to solve and that the problems they try to solve don't contradict themselves. For example, if someone with a very low self-esteem tries to diet and loose weight, they can have this kind of an unconscious thinking process:

Problem 1: I want to lose weight.

Problem 2: I'm sure that I can't do it. I'm not strong/good enough, too lazy etc. Besides, even losing weight won't make me look good.

The Problem 2 contradicts Problem 1 and causes our own behaviour to destroy the notion of losing weight and solidify view of not being able to.
I see, interesting insight.

It was a Youtube video, a short one, by "comment" I meant a comment in the comment section. (the word "comment" three times in one sentence?) I've gotten these videos a lot in my Youtube feed, due my search for a therapist about a year or two ago. This group is actually based in my own Province of British Columbia it turns out:

Ive done my share of trolling just to survive on Wrong Planet, ive dealt with the worst trolls online from Encyclopedia Drammatica and 4 chan by trolling back and they backed off, i was very viscious in trolling back, over time i was set up on WP and permabanned from Wrong Planet by falling for the bait, it was a set up. Here i dont troll ive retired from trolling.

It's mighty easy to retire from trolling here. This is a place where it doesn't exist. In the months I have been more active here there has only been a couple of times my aggressive side came out due to one well known WP troll starting his routine over here, and one person spamming and trolling nonsense about autism and his do it yourself cure (very much like another well known WP troll). Other than that it's all been pleasant folks and smooth sailing. This is a high class joint.

It's mighty easy to retire from trolling here. This is a place where it doesn't exist. In the months I have been more active here there has only been a couple of times my aggressive side came out due to one well known WP troll starting his routine over here, and one person spamming and trolling nonsense about autism and his do it yourself cure (very much like another well known WP troll). Other than that it's all been pleasant folks and smooth sailing. This is a high class joint.
Why is there so much trolls in Wrong Planet? I mean, I know it's a garbage website but still.

Seems just astonishingly childish to me.

Like I said: Makes them look like agitated brat toddlers on a playground (the trolls, not the people they're targeting). This sort of thing is why everyone thinks trolls are so pathetic.

Trolls run away from me.
Seriously.
I am not sure if I should feel insulted. :D

Yup, you don't get the nonsense here that happens over on WP.
But it is more active there, perhaps because it allows more questionable content.

Why is there so much trolls in Wrong Planet? I mean, I know it's a garbage website but still.

People troll there because they know they can. That's the atmosphere of the place. You'd probably get far trolling on WP, whereas here you would get nowhere fast. It's all about environment.

I have a kid your age and all I can say is "Knock it off and grow up!" Put yourself in their shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom