• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Toys you wanted as kids but never got...

Usually wanted a chemistry set for christmas but never got one, as well as anything related to making candy, books on candy, a candy thermometer, old fashioned candy moulds. My childhood wish was to open a candy store, where they made their own candy canes, caramels, fudge, and peppermints. My maternal grandmother's hobby was making candy and selling it at fairs and fundraisers. The best fudge you've ever tasted. Slightly crisp and shiny on the outside, soft inside, still dream about it on occasion.

Too bad. You seem so creative on any number of levels. That chemistry set might have been a lot of fun for you. Though clearly you made up for it over the years. :)

Last edited:
That chemistry set might have been a lot of fun for you.

Cooking is essentially chemistry, if you consider it that way. Temperature, chemical reactions, boiling points. I made candy and bribed my brother, who let me use his. ;)

Cooking is essentially chemistry, if you consider it that way. Temperature, chemical reactions, boiling points. I made candy and bribed my brother, who let me use his. ;)

LOL...Absolutely.

Though seriously, probably the most useful thing I've learned is how altitude can mitigate baking time. Had I stuck to instructions on boxes I probably would have burned the house down.

Last edited:
you meant - lazilass
:)

it couldn't be black. A racist cube wouldn't sell these days...
Why would a black cube be racist? It's not a race, it's just a color.
I do remember as a kid seeing joke versions of Rubik's Cube being all one color, but it was never black (I think). When I was a kid I found out I could solve the cube by peeling the colored squares off and then re-sticking them in the same color on each side.:D

i wanted a barbie dreamhouse so bad as a kid. it was ridiculous. i would always go to toys'r'us and look at the barbie dreamhouse display for as long as i could before my mom/aunt/grandparents dragged me away.

Just thought of another toy I wanted. When I was younger I was really into Beast Wars. While the 3rd series was never shown in the UK (I would watch it later online), I did see the form that Optimus Primal would take in the 3rd series as a toy - known as "Optimal Optimus" - and wanted it because I thought it looked cool:

BWtoy-OpOp.jpg

Here's the episode where he first appeared (and one for any Transformers Generation One fans):

Sadly, I never got the "Optimal Optimus" toy and instead got the 3rd series character "Depth Charge", which I still enjoyed playing with for a very long time until one of his wings broke off:

BW-toy_Depthcharge.jpg

My younger brother got Protoform X - better known as "Rampage".

BW_Rampage_toy.jpg

Last edited:
i wanted a barbie dreamhouse so bad as a kid. it was ridiculous. i would always go to toys'r'us and look at the barbie dreamhouse display for as long as i could before my mom/aunt/grandparents dragged me away.
I wonder if Ken's Dreamhouse is cheaper...?
Toy Story 3: Groovin' with Ken!

I wanted so many dolls as a kid but being a boy, I would have been denied getting them and I never asked for them. They were mostly Barbie’s that did something interesting such as talking or color change of some sort and baby dolls that did something that peaked my curiosity and I only wanted them to see how they worked. I remember there was this one baby doll I was extremely curious about because she came with this box of cereal, a spoon with some pretend milk in it, and a bowl with the same pretend milk. The gimmick of the doll was that you held the box of cereal and shook it (the box actually would make a noise similar to cereal moving inside the box) and cereal would suddenly appear floating in the bowl. You then took the spoon and somehow the cereal would appear in the spoon and would disappear when you fed the doll. Eventually the bowl would be “empty” and you could do it again. I have never figured out how they did it and wanted to see how it was done. There was also a baby doll that could do a headstand and another by the same company that could do a full tumble.

I can still remember chucking a tantrum over this, I was about 6 years old.

Mum took us to a pet shop and she bought my sister Skinny Pigs (guinnea pigs) but she wouldn't let me have a pet crocodile.

Talk Boy

Creepy crawlers

Baby doll that pees.

I used to have a Talkboy; it was fun recording myself pretending to be drunk and then playing it back in slow-mo, while if you recorded in slow-mo and played it back at normal speed, you sounded like a chipmunk. :D

As for the dolls that pee, I never understood why girls would want that.

I wanted so many dolls as a kid but being a boy, I would have been denied getting them and I never asked for them. They were mostly Barbie’s that did something interesting such as talking or color change of some sort and baby dolls that did something that peaked my curiosity and I only wanted them to see how they worked. I remember there was this one baby doll I was extremely curious about because she came with this box of cereal, a spoon with some pretend milk in it, and a bowl with the same pretend milk. The gimmick of the doll was that you held the box of cereal and shook it (the box actually would make a noise similar to cereal moving inside the box) and cereal would suddenly appear floating in the bowl. You then took the spoon and somehow the cereal would appear in the spoon and would disappear when you fed the doll. Eventually the bowl would be “empty” and you could do it again. I have never figured out how they did it and wanted to see how it was done. There was also a baby doll that could do a headstand and another by the same company that could do a full tumble.
A baby doll is not gendered. You as a young boy playing with a baby doll isn’t gonna turn you “gay” as some delusIonal ppl claim. In fact, young boys playing with baby dolls is found to help them develop observational skills/empathy through pretend play. If a girl can play with what society deems as “boy toys” and turn out just fine, why can’t a boy play with what society deems as “girl toys”?

Another analogy: hair, clothes, makeup, and accessories aren’t gendered. Why is it when a girl wears what is stereotypically defined as “boy clothes” she doesn’t get any looks but when a boy wears anything that’s viewed as “too girly” they get weird looks because they’re “turning into a girl” or “they’re gonna become gay” by delusional ppl. If I can wear my hair short and interact with males that have long hair, then you can grow your hair out too regardless of your gender identity. Hair, clothes, and accessories are meant to provide warmth and expression.

A baby doll is not gendered. You as a young boy playing with a baby doll isn’t gonna turn you “gay” as some delusIonal ppl claim. In fact, young boys playing with baby dolls is found to help them develop observational skills/empathy through pretend play. If a girl can play with what society deems as “boy toys” and turn out just fine, why can’t a boy play with what society deems as “girl toys”?

Another analogy: hair, clothes, makeup, and accessories aren’t gendered. Why is it when a girl wears what is stereotypically defined as “boy clothes” she doesn’t get any looks but when a boy wears anything that’s viewed as “too girly” they get weird looks because they’re “turning into a girl” or “they’re gonna become gay” by delusional ppl. If I can wear my hair short and interact with males that have long hair, then you can grow your hair out too regardless of your gender identity. Hair, clothes, and accessories are meant to provide warmth and expression.
You’re right but adults and society definitely didn’t think this way during the 90s. Toys being marketed as being more gender neutral really didn’t start to happen until about ten years ago when boys were started to be put on boxes for the Baby Alive dolls. In the 90s, the only toys that weren’t aimed exclusively for one gender were stuffed animals/Beanie Babies, Furby, puzzles, board games, and video games. Almost every craft making toy out there were marketed for girls with Creepy Crawlers being the one exception and all Super Soakers and Nerf guns were for boys. I grew up at a time where there were still gender based expectations and honesty that was not as long ago as people would like to think. Even in the group home where I lived for two and a half years I wasn’t allowed to buy dolls because it wasn’t “gender appropriate” but a female resident my age could if she had wanted to and this was in 2004-2006. Even if I wore a shirt that a woman would wear, I’d be written up for breaking the rules that I wear appropriate clothing.

New Threads

Top Bottom