• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Today’s diagnosis-ish

Momofboys

So today I got an ”official” diagnosis of ASD from my psychiatrist but I really put it in quotes because it was very… anticlimactic. I’ll try to make this as brief as possible since it’s just an intro post.

I’m 31. I have a one and a half year old who isn’t fully talking yet so his pediatrician recommended a speech eval. The results? His motor and cognitive skills are through the roof, he’s just too busy absorbing everything to bother learning actual words. But during the autism questionnaire, it got me thinking about my own life and how possible it could be, especially since I already have ADHD and a mess of other disorders.

So this morning when I was FaceTiming with my psych just to get med refills I also talked to her about the possibility. She did a quick questionnaire and basically said “well it sounds like you’re definitely on the spectrum, but what do you expect to get out of this?” Since according to her there’s really not any sort of treatment or whatever at this stage in life aside from support groups.

Sooooo here I am. Hi! I’m Momofboys. I’m new here!

1698104880173.png

Hello and welcome.

I’m glad you found us and hope that you can find some support and camaraderie here.

Welcome! I myself got a lot out of it, as it answered questions I had about myself. I feel better about my mind and behavior and feel like I "fit in", so to speak, with a group of people for the first time.

So today I got an ”official” diagnosis of ASD from my psychiatrist but I really put it in quotes because it was very… anticlimactic. I’ll try to make this as brief as possible since it’s just an intro post.

I’m 31. I have a one and a half year old who isn’t fully talking yet so his pediatrician recommended a speech eval. The results? His motor and cognitive skills are through the roof, he’s just too busy absorbing everything to bother learning actual words. But during the autism questionnaire, it got me thinking about my own life and how possible it could be, especially since I already have ADHD and a mess of other disorders.

So this morning when I was FaceTiming with my psych just to get med refills I also talked to her about the possibility. She did a quick questionnaire and basically said “well it sounds like you’re definitely on the spectrum, but what do you expect to get out of this?” Since according to her there’s really not any sort of treatment or whatever at this stage in life aside from support groups.

Welcome.

Hi there

There surely is something amiss ( not your post). Regards to ADHD and ASD.

I have a friend who's daughter has ADHD and not mild either and when my friend asked for her daughter to be tested for ASD, she was told that no, because she does not have ASD. She has ADHD. Now, I can see why they get merged, due to the similaries, but from what I have been reading, ADHD have no concept of time and yet, one of the subtle "symptoms" of ASD is great time management! I, myself am known for being complete with my timing.

Again, there are overlaps with both; but to my mind, one just cannot have both at the same time.

My friend's daughter is a great subject to me, to prove that they cannot be clubbed together under one umbrella.

When I was being tested for ASD, that was a key element in my diagnosis regarding time management and my friend said that with ADHD, there is no concept of time. In fact, she has to constantly remind her daughter to pay attention to the time.

Ohmygodddd I love that! Mind if I use it if the topic comes up again?

And thank you all for the welcome!
Hi and welcome @Momofboys

Beware there is occasional talk in here of donuts in the kitchen. So far I have never found the donuts.

Do hang around here and get to know us all

Hi there

I have a friend who's daughter has ADHD and not mild either and when my friend asked for her daughter to be tested for ASD, she was told that no, because she does not have ASD. She has ADHD. Now, I can see why they get merged, due to the similaries, but from what I have been reading, ADHD have no concept of time and yet, one of the subtle "symptoms" of ASD is great time management! I, myself am known for being complete with my timing.

Again, there are overlaps with both; but to my mind, one just cannot have both at the same time.

My friend's daughter is a great subject to me, to prove that they cannot be clubbed together under one umbrella.

When I was being tested for ASD, that was a key element in my diagnosis regarding time management and my friend said that with ADHD, there is no concept of time. In fact, she has to constantly remind her daughter to pay attention to the time.
See I have zero concept of time. Granted, I know much more about ADHD (my own especially) than I do ASD, but I’m also in no way claiming to be any sort of medical professional.

But there are several other issues that just don’t quite fit in with my ADHD diagnosis. And I’d consider time management to be one of the “lesser” diagnostic symptoms. Not lesser in severity, but rather not as… high a priority as others.

I know there’s a lot of overlap, and I know everyone experiences illnesses differently, which is why once I get my (US private) insurance sorted out I’m going to find a therapist who specializes in both. My psych didn’t really do any sort of in depth anything since our sessions are only 10-15 minutes on FaceTime.

Hi there

I'm always interested to read what doctors in France tell you about autism as it sometimes is different than what doctors in the USA say.

It appears that autism is different for everyone. My autistic sister-in-law, who does not have ADD or ADHD behaviors, is chronically late for everything. We always tell her that dinner at our house will be served 30 minutes earlier than we really intend to serve it. We do that in hope that she will actually arrive on time.

If she doesn't arrive on time, we go ahead and start eating without her because there is no legitimate reason - in fact, it is rude - for the rest of us to eat cold or over-cooked food just because she cannot get her act together to leave her house on time.

I think her problem is lack of executive functioning due to autism.

Hello.
What do you hope to get out of it... an official diagnosis might open up the possibility of welfare payments and you can ask employers to make adjustments (depending your location). Also, I've found the support groups to be quite helpful - in limited but meaningful ways.

Hello.
What do you hope to get out of it... an official diagnosis might open up the possibility of welfare payments and you can ask employers to make adjustments (depending your location). Also, I've found the support groups to be quite helpful - in limited but meaningful ways.
I currently work for a very small local jewelry store and even though the owner knows about my ADHD she… doesn’t really care. I hope that if I tell my manager (who’s a little more sympathetic) it’ll go over a bit better, but who knows.

I currently work for a very small local jewelry store and even though the owner knows about my ADHD she… doesn’t really care. I hope that if I tell my manager (who’s a little more sympathetic) it’ll go over a bit better, but who knows.
Annnnd…. I got fired. I posted that on my lunch and as soon as I walked back in she let me go. I’ve known for a very long time sales wasn’t my thing but I thought it was the stepping stone to becoming a jeweler.

You will find that while most of us here are ASD (well DUH), a great many of us have also been diagnosed with ADHD. It seems to be a fairly common co-morbidity. I am ASD1 and AD(no H)D. You will find that your diagnosis (provisional as it is at this point) is a first step in a journey of finding out about yourself. And you are the only person who can make this journey. You will always find support and answers here. Good Luck.

New Threads

Top Bottom