• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

This OR that?

SimonSays

Van Dweller
V.I.P Member
Sometimes I get caught in having to decide whether what happens next should be this OR that. Sometimes it just isn’t easy to weigh one thing over another. To have to make a decision when I can see value in both things. And then I remember it doesn’t have to be this or that, it can be this AND that. It is a simple conceptual solution. This AND that feels so much easier to deal with, free from the anxiety of having to choose between this or that. Trouble is I don’t always remember though. Sometimes it takes me quite a while of considering this or that before the idea of this and that returns.

But then I discovered there is a whole other level to it, more difficult to truly come to terms with and get my head around. But true nevertheless.

In a bigger picture way of seeing things...

This IS that. The journey IS the destination. None of it really matters.

Last edited:
I thought I was saying what I thought you were saying.

(I'm prepared for you to explain I wasn't.)

Here's a bit more:

Yet, many hypotheses is the lifeblood of our conceptual mapping (and brilliant brain exercise). The key to tranquility is to distinguish between a hypothesis and an outcome. If we plan (in small ways) for several hypotheses (doing homework), we can pick out the right (small) plan as soon as we know what is now when now arrives.

Last edited:
Less poetic looking version
I have a red apple and a green apple and I need to decide whether I should eat the red one OR the green one. But I like both varieties and I can’t decide. But if I realise that I can have the red apple AND the green apple, it makes things a whole lot easier.

As long as I get the nutrition from an apple, it doesn’t really matter which Apple I have. So essentially the red apple IS the green apple as far as my body is concerned.

The key to tranquility is to distinguish between a hypothesis and an outcome.
This I like.
If we plan (in small ways) for several hypotheses (doing homework), we can pick out the right (small) plan as soon as we know what is now when now arrives.
So you’re saying that as soon as you know what is right you know longer have to hold the hypotheses you can just act on it?

This I like.

So you’re saying that as soon as you know what is right you know longer have to hold the hypotheses you can just act on it?

If it's a repeatable event - as almost everything is, with slight variations - you can keep that hypothesis; you can add extra ones if you like, also.

Did you know you can cook eating apples? You can put them in a bread & butter pudding.

If you get all the apples down the hatch, you can live an apple free life for a bit.

When my trifle and creme caramel deliveries arrive, they take precedence over the yoghurts!

You might enjoy reading Kierkegaard's "Either/Or" Describes that on a huge scale and all the ramifications of choice........

You might enjoy reading Kierkegaard's "Either/Or" Describes that on a huge scale and all the ramifications of choice........
You know I suspect I might, but I know that I could never read such intellectual academic stuff, it is too much for my brain. If there was a documentary examining it in a way that was accessible I could try that. I’ve taken a look at the philosophers from time to time and I find that I just can’t read the ideas; it’s too intellectual for me. I’m not an intellectual. I’ve never been academic.

It takes me ages to polish something I write into a coherent ‘well written’ piece. Just can’t get things out like I used to.

I appreciate the thought though. I just have to remain in the raw so to speak. Can’t be a philosopher. Only a Simon.

You know I suspect I might, but I know that I could never read such intellectual academic stuff, it is too much for my brain. If there was a documentary examining it in a way that was accessible I could try that. I’ve taken a look at the philosophers from time to time and I find that I just can’t read the ideas; it’s too intellectual for me. I’m not an intellectual. I’ve never been academic.

It takes me ages to polish something I write into a coherent ‘well written’ piece. Just can’t get things out like I used to.

I appreciate the thought though. I just have to remain in the raw so to speak. Can’t be a philosopher. Only a Simon.

You may not be academic but you certainly are intellectual and I would say you are a mystic as well. Is there a difference between a mystic and an intellectual?

You may not be academic but you certainly are intellectual and I would say you are a mystic as well. Is there a difference between a mystic and an intellectual?
They seem different to me. Mystic right brain. Intellectual left brain.

person who seeks by contemplation and self-surrender to obtain unity with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or who believes in the spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect...google
I would add to that assumes a supernatural cause or connection in most situations

New Threads

Top Bottom