• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things you miss the most from childhood.

I don't miss much about my childhood... no need in bringing that back up today... : )
I miss my Grams, she was about the only hope I had and would take the time to try and understand me.
The rest of it is basically a solid nightmare that I would never want to go back too.

But in some weird way... I'm still a kid. I still see the wonder in LIFE. I still can get lost in just laying back and daydreaming. I know I have to be a grown up, but I try not to let that crush what's left of me.

There is something in me that will never grow up it seems, and that is a gift that makes me not be a hateful bitter asshole, like most the people who surround me...

I think we can all choose to still be very young at heart and not even appear to be immature or challenged.
I run a corporation, but I don't run it like a stoic hard ass.
I run it like it's an adventure and so far, so good.

I think my best times in LIFE (no matter what they really are) they are RIGHT NOW...
So I can still live what I didn't get to live as a kid and no one ever even realize it...

My hot wheels now have 400+ horsepower and I don't have to make them roar with my mouth!
I don't have to dream of what it is like to fly, I get my drone out and I can see where I fly...
I don't just have to dream about going to the mountains and sleeping under the stars, I go do it.
I don't have to wonder what it is like to go out on the ocean and sail...
I learned from the wind that thoughts are just like that wind... I can go with them, or against them, and in that I will go with the flow, or struggle like hell.

I know I act like a kid... People tell me to grow up all the time... In my stubborness I just say NO... : )
they are unnerved by autism!I wonder when it will get to the point where autistic children are aborted or left to die like children with down syndrome were .

I wonder when it will get to the point where autistic children are aborted or left to die like children with down syndrome were .

As soon as they can isolate the gene(s) that cause it. But as long as it remains elusive. We still have a chance.

Red for forum.jpg
Riding my horse, Red, who was my best friend, through the woods behind our house. Used to love riding him bareback and feeling his warmth. He'd be raring to go and shove his head into the bridle when I finally got home from school . :)

Last edited:
There's a lot about my childhood I don't miss at all and a lot I've chosen not to remember, but ...
I think I miss the freedom kids had in those days.

To walk a mile to the park and climb trees and catch yabbies and just be a kid! No one worried about you or questioned what you'd been doing as long as you got home on time and came home in one piece. I think it's sad that kids these days don't have that luxury.

Some of my memories from childhood are so intense, so exciting, probably because they were new to me.

Like sliding down into a sand pit in a cardboard refrigerator box with other kids screaming as we tumbled around inside, pretending we were in space and waiting for gravity to disappear:>/

Or the way a ripe strawberry tasted, or how juicy a warm apple picked from a tree in the sun was.

To walk a mile to the park and climb trees and catch yabbies and just be a kid! No one worried about you or questioned what you'd been doing as long as you got home on time and came home in one piece. I think it's sad that kids these days don't have that luxury.

That's why kids these days are growing up looking at a screen all their life. Everybody is getting plugged in to The Matrix, and losing their sense of reality.

Did you know that most newer homes, Homes that were built in the last 10 years have little to no yard space? There are 3 story, 5000 sq ft home costing upwards of $800,000 and yet have less then 200 sq ft of yard space. My 1100 sq ft home that was built back in the 1940's has over 20,000 sq ft of yard space. Where do you expect the kids to play? Oh! that's right, they got their XBOX.

living in a smaller world without the awareness of vulnerability or of the complexity of being a self sustaining adult

when i was a kid i had the time and awareness to enjoy the smell of summer grass and warm wind

Grandma! She died 6 days before my 14th. She spoiled the heck out of me. Told me I was her favorite that day before she died.

Video games were more interesting before the internet i.e. when I was a kid. The 90's, and the 80's.

I miss all the chances I had because I didn't realize I have a debilitating disability.

There's a lot about my childhood I don't miss at all and a lot I've chosen not to remember, but ...
I think I miss the freedom kids had in those days.

I walked with two friends to Penshaw Monument from my house in Sunderland ! that was my video game !feeding the horses at the riding school beside the monument .
feeling worried afterwards because the dog we had taken with us slept for two days, it was a Yorkshire terrier called tiny .
I wouldn't walk a dog that size now I'm scarred from that memory.
our council estate back garden was so big we called it the Serengeti ! it became smaller because the residents nearby wanted part of the garden they felt deprived .
I remember a feral cat giving birth and we didn't even know it was there .

I would say that I miss care bears, transformers and my little pony. But they've been rebooted so many times I wonder if toy manufacturers nowadays are capable of original ideas. I want to miss care bears, transformers and my little pony.

I would say that I miss care bears, transformers and my little pony. But they've been rebooted so many times I wonder if toy manufacturers nowadays are capable of original ideas. I want to miss care bears, transformers and my little pony.

You're right. When it came to original ideas for TV and music. The 80's were the best.

I miss the absence of responsibility.

I miss replacing worry and control with excitement, awe, curiosity and absolute wonder.

I miss sprinting like a bolt of lightning after having to sit still for a long period of time (church, lessons, meal times) - no longer have church or lessons and sitting relatively still is easier now I’m older.

I miss the anticipation and imagination involved in the final few days just before Christmas Eve.

I miss the ability to forward roll from the top to the bottom of a small mound. ( not tall enough to be classed as a hill)

I have many more but need to articulate and organise first.

I miss the wide circle of friends I had in Junior school way back in the early to mid 80's. I also miss playing with Lego when it wasn't so stupidly expensive for the good sets.

Also before the Internet was invented way back in the late 80's, things were simpler....

And in some ways, I miss senior school, but only for the few friends I had up there, particular my ex Helen, I even miss her annoying Brother a bit.

I also miss playing with Lego when it wasn't so stupidly expensive for the good sets.

Sales are way down for Legos this last year. Maybe they'll start lowering their prices. I wish the knock-offs like MegaBloks weren't so low-quality.

Also, you can often find large bins of Legos at thrift stores. There's a local Salvation Army here that collects and sells Legos in bulk amounts. A friend of ours goes regularly and often buys about 20 pounds of Legos for $100 to $200 (In non-USA terms, I think that 4.21 gigawatts per millihectare :p).

Miss my child's sense of time, which was simple:

If your sneakers get wet when you step in the grass, it's morning.
If the back of your neck is hot, and you get thirsty it's noon or later.
If the sun is going down and it's getting dark, it's time to go home.

I miss lounging in tall grass, feeling like I had disappeared from the world.
I don’t do that anymore because
A) there’s no tall grass around
B) I don’t have the time to lounge around in the grass
C) I’m so allergic to grass pollen I break out in hives when I plop down in it.

I didn't enjoy being rather powerless. I miss the lack of responsibilities. 6d pocket money to spend on anything i wanted. :hearteyecat:

Miss my child's sense of time, which was simple:

If your sneakers get wet when you step in the grass, it's morning.
If the back of your neck is hot, and you get thirsty it's noon or later.
If the sun is going down and it's getting dark, it's time to go home.
in the UK if the Sun was shining sit outside and die from heat stroke !it might rain in five minutes! take it while you can get it.

New Threads

Top Bottom