• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things you miss the most from childhood.

Mia

V.I.P Member
Was thinking about childhood today, and some of things I used to do by myself that I don't do anymore.

Might still climb a tree, or lie in soft clay mud. Or watch birds build nests for hours. Or lie in tall grass in the sun, or roll in snow or jump into the water. Somehow along the way I've lost that joy and become more reserved and less amused by actions that used to be enjoyable.

Thinking as an adult, that this behavior is irresponsible. Perhaps because people have intimated that it is, after they lose their sense of fun. Think the only way to get it back, is to do it again.

What would you do again from childhood now, if you decided to?

Mud fights.
Pottery class.
Being able to try something with no worry about how it, and I, would be judged for my effort.
Cartoons.
Eat and not gain weight.:p
Not have to worry about fashion or makeup.

Climb 200ft tall trees with little effort.
Get in my swim shorts and play and roll round in the mud like a pig in his pigsty.
Being able to play on other people property without it being called trespassing.
Never had to care about how I dressed.

See the Aurora Borealis again.
See friends who I can only see in dreams or photos now.
Enjoy adventuring in nature again.
Ride in the back of a pickup truck all the way down to Florida.
Eat more healthily.
Stay away from online games.

Time meant nothing to me. It was just another day of well, to be honest, struggling, but in the sense of "time meant nothing to me", I do miss that.

Age is a very funny thing, because as we grow older, life seems to zip past us.

Age is a very funny thing, because as we grow older, life seems to zip past us.
So true.
I would go back to when time meant nothing.
Everyday was not a struggle to me as a child, just the
opposite, (it is now).
Do whatever I found enjoyable like sifting through dirt looking for pebbles or treasures!
Swinging as high as I could pretending I was going up into the clouds and how it would look.
Looking at the stars at night, imagining I could see an angel looking back at me.
Playing board games with my Mom.
Exploring in the woods. If I could find a small creek
I felt there was something magical to be found if I followed it. To me there was. Sometimes Fairy Rings of large mushrooms, soft green mounds of moss on a boulder to lay on. Wildflowers. More interesting rocks!
Closely watching and playing with the little water creatures-crayfish, water striders-periwinkles-tadpoles-salamanders and on and on.
Oh to do that again. Just freedom, curiousity, and no thought of time.

And don't forget hours in my rocking chair singing along with my record player. Yeh, the kind that had vinyl discs played by a needle and went round and round.
:p
Thanks for giving me a few minutes of bliss from childhood in my mind.

See the world through a child's eyes.

Looking through my child's eyes, my childhood was free and magical, I used to explore a nearby forest and run through fields. I used to visit kind neighbors who gave me cakes, bread and treats. I assembled my own, quite cool, school uniform out of the lost property box and made it fashionable. I was alone, but I was happy.

Looking through my adult's eyes, I see a paranoid schizophrenic mother full of bitterness and hate, who never worked a day in her life, who smoked her way through my child support and didn't lift a finger for me, never bought me clothes and mostly forgot to feed me. Years later I went back and thanked the neighbors.

I hate viewing the world through an adult's eyes.

I'm still the same person, and still get pleasure from the same things, and can still do many of the things on the list if I want to, but the opportunity to do them is not presented as often, as I have other obligations and restrictions that might make them impossible. I still dress in the same way, like/dislike the same food, etc.

Be able to roam around the countryside at will, and even other people's property.
Being bought treats by my parents like sticky buns.
Play in the snow, roll huge balls of snow, have snow fights, etc.
Going on walks with my parents, exploring nature, investigating the different kinds of plants, insects, etc.
Having frogspawn and watching it turn into tadpoles.
Listening to the same record over and over again, while dancing round in a circle.

I'm still the same person, and still get pleasure from the same things, and can still do many of the things on the list if I want to, but the opportunity to do them is not presented as often, as I have other obligations and restrictions that might make them impossible. I still dress in the same way, like/dislike the same food, etc.

Be able to roam around the countryside at will, and even other people's property.
Being bought treats by my parents like sticky buns.
Play in the snow, roll huge balls of snow, have snow fights, etc.
Going on walks with my parents, exploring nature, investigating the different kinds of plants, insects, etc.
Having frogspawn and watching it turn into tadpoles.
Listening to the same record over and over again, while dancing round in a circle.

What about a canny bag of tudor?

Before they took all the flavour out.

(An advert from the 70's in the uk people)

See the world through a child's eyes.

Looking through my child's eyes, my childhood was free and magical, I used to explore a nearby forest and run through fields. I used to visit kind neighbors who gave me cakes, bread and treats. I assembled my own, quite cool, school uniform out of the lost property box and made it fashionable. I was alone, but I was happy.

Looking through my adult's eyes, I see a paranoid schizophrenic mother full of bitterness and hate, who never worked a day in her life, who smoked her way through my child support and didn't lift a finger for me, never bought me clothes and mostly forgot to feed me. Years later I went back and thanked the neighbors.

I hate viewing the world through an adult's eyes.

I wonder if being a child ypu are somehow protected from trauma somehow.
Or all of those things remain in the background till you are old enough to understand them... then,as an adult, the trauma begins.
Meanwhile back to some more childish wonder and joy.

The cynical me will say,when I hear 'I had a happy childhood' from someone.
Uh oh, unprocessed trauma!

But happy childhoods did exist, Ive heard :)

Like you, mine was happy till I got older.
I repressed some of those memories for a reason goddamit :)

did you like beefy Bovril crisps I liked them sometimes didn't like tudor crisps all the time.
I liked marathon bars before they became the ridiculous name snickers.

did you like beefy Bovril crisps I liked them sometimes didn't like tudor crisps all the time.
I liked marathon bars before they became the ridiculous name snickers.

Tudor beefy but KP beef was the best.
Bovril very strong,lots of flavor, very good but not my favourite.

Well i dont realy miss my childhood , i have more bad memories ( not traumatic but just not good)

I miss the fact that i didnt understand the limits in a video game, thats weird but, i hope you understand what i mean^^.

I also miss the freedom and the lack of responsibilities i guess, well, i still have no responsibility but at my age this isnt right.

what I miss is seeing my mothers mother being kind to the dog and buying him (bruce)an ice cream from geraldis ice cream van .

Well i dont realy miss my childhood , i have more bad memories ( not traumatic but just not good)

I miss the fact that i didnt understand the limits in a video game, thats weird but, i hope you understand what i mean^^.

I also miss the freedom and the lack of responsibilities i guess, well, i still have no responsibility but at my age this isnt right.
you're taking responsibility you're seeing a therapist it's just one way of taking responsibility .

That is a pleasure I reserve for my visits to the UK (or I would, if they weren't so bad for you and didn't make you fat. I think I'll put on my list, too - being able to eat what I like without worrying about how healthy it is or whether it's going to make me put on weight. Ah, such blissful innocence - I miss the innocence of childhood!!)

That is a pleasure I reserve for my visits to the UK (or I would, if they weren't so bad for you and didn't make you fat. I think I'll put on my list, too - being able to eat what I like without worrying about how healthy it is or whether it's going to make me put on weight. Ah, such blissful innocence - I miss the innocence of childhood!!)

:)

Let me know when you're coming over so I can be sure to avoid you.

(And if that isn't aspie humour I don't know what is)

I miss being uninhibited.
Would love to express joy, happiness, love, sadness. run around with tons of energy and no pain or worry.
Hope that's in the cards for the future.

I don't miss much about my childhood... no need in bringing that back up today... : )
I miss my Grams, she was about the only hope I had and would take the time to try and understand me.
The rest of it is basically a solid nightmare that I would never want to go back too.

But in some weird way... I'm still a kid. I still see the wonder in LIFE. I still can get lost in just laying back and daydreaming. I know I have to be a grown up, but I try not to let that crush what's left of me.

There is something in me that will never grow up it seems, and that is a gift that makes me not be a hateful bitter asshole, like most the people who surround me...

I think we can all choose to still be very young at heart and not even appear to be immature or challenged.
I run a corporation, but I don't run it like a stoic hard ass.
I run it like it's an adventure and so far, so good.

I think my best times in LIFE (no matter what they really are) they are RIGHT NOW...
So I can still live what I didn't get to live as a kid and no one ever even realize it...

My hot wheels now have 400+ horsepower and I don't have to make them roar with my mouth!
I don't have to dream of what it is like to fly, I get my drone out and I can see where I fly...
I don't just have to dream about going to the mountains and sleeping under the stars, I go do it.
I don't have to wonder what it is like to go out on the ocean and sail...
I learned from the wind that thoughts are just like that wind... I can go with them, or against them, and in that I will go with the flow, or struggle like hell.

I know I act like a kid... People tell me to grow up all the time... In my stubborness I just say NO... : )

New Threads

Top Bottom