• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The first time I am going out for more than an afternoon with friends

Nath

Hey! So in a nutshell, my friend group consisting of 9 people that I met while playing Final Fantasy 14, are coming from all sorts of places to visit a city near me. I have agreed to go because it is close. Now, I have never done anything like this in my life and I am beyond terrified. I'm scared of living in the same house as them for 4 days, I'm scared of the things we would potentially be doing, scared of having to be my own voice and order my own food and stuff (although one of these friends said he would order food at restaurants for me if I felt I couldn't do it).

I'm scared of having to basically, buy myself stuff and be my own voice. Usually the anxiety for doing such things is so great that my parents usually do all this stuff for me. I'm also scared of meeting 6 of them for the first time (2 of them I went to school with and the other 2 I have met previously. I have been so scared in fact that I have been tempted to simply say I'm not going, because the stress and anxiety I have felt since the moment I have said I'm going is so immense.

This is happening tomorrow by the way so I'm even more scared now than I was, say, 2 months ago.

I guess I'm just voicing this here as a form of venting.

This sounds like a thing you really want to do. It sounds like your friends understand, and are willing & able to help you through the rough spots.

Go with the flow, have fun, lean on friends.

Enjoy!

Pack well, (clothes, toiletries, meds, food, snacks) and you won't need to buy very much.

I can understand why it is scary if you have never done something like that before, it is good that at least one of them said he would help you order food.

And you know some of the others too, I'm sure you will get a great experience from it.

Remember that it is ok to take some time by yourself to recharge, it can be draining to be with others, especially new people, for days - someone advised me to tell my best friend, "I'm taking a break, not because I don't want to spend time with you, but because I want to spend time with you" and that was just for a weekend trip the two of us.

I think it is really cool you are up for trying new things like this, let us know how it goes :)

There will always be those select times in which deep down we know that we MUST PUSH OURSELVES.

Whatever it takes to overcome our own toxic forms of social anxiety. Good luck and have fun. ;)

Thanks guys :) I shall make an attempt to enjoy it. Although with each passing minute my anxiety about the whole thing does get worse, and the temptation to not go gets greater and greater. It's almost as if I don't like feeling anxiety to a point where I will avoid anything that even remotely initiates the feeling of it, which is basically going out and doing stuff fullstop.

Scary but maybe a "good scary step out of my norm scary." That's normal. But if you don't go, you may feel more sad. Just have an exit plan, to reassure yourself, like if l feel really uncomfortable, l can do this....

New Threads

Top Bottom