• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Figure of Speech That You Dislike The Most

Oh, why didn't I think of this one before. "same difference" it's just pathetic. With the "difference" part, you're admitting that there's a difference, and contradicting yourself after you've denied the difference by saying "same". Everyone can see you'e in denial.

Doesn't it make you wonder who really needs help & support? Aspies really need to open a school or some kind of outreach programme for clueless NTs so they can learn how to recognize & apply logic, how to make sense, avoid crazy-making situations & think independently. Skills like NOT CONTRADICTING YOURSELF & TOLERANCE/ACCEPTANCE & SEEING THINGS AS THEY ARE could be core elements of the curriculum.

here's a few-you know I love you..but... the news channels in UK use extraordinary after just about every event-can't they explore the English language further. others i hate; you are so sweet.. I like you, but just as a friend... although that doesn't happen anymore.

Doesn't it make you wonder who really needs help & support? Aspies really need to open a school or some kind of outreach programme for clueless NTs so they can learn how to recognize & apply logic, how to make sense, avoid crazy-making situations & think independently. Skills like NOT CONTRADICTING YOURSELF & TOLERANCE/ACCEPTANCE & SEEING THINGS AS THEY ARE could be core elements of the curriculum.
I hope that was not in reply to my thread-

Found it Soup- thanks I wish i had not put it there now its definately in the wrong place!

"how are you?" yep definitely on my most annoying list-most of the time its completely insincere and they never like my answers.

Heard another one today:

The "rule of thumb" is (followed by blablabla) The origin of this saying dates to England in the 1780s where a law was made saying that a man may lawfully beat his wife so long as the stick he used didn't exceed the width of his thumb. Even if we ignore the absurdity of supporting wife battery of any kind, some guys have hands like hams & their thumbs are thicker than metal re-bar! Whenever I hear this expression, I cringe a little at the suffering women endured in its name.

The "rule of thumb" is (followed by blablabla) The origin of this saying dates to England in the 1780s where a law was made saying that a man may lawfully beat his wife so long as the stick he used didn't exceed the width of his thumb. Even if we ignore the absurdity of supporting wife battery of any kind, some guys have hands like hams & their thumbs are thicker than metal re-bar! Whenever I hear this expression, I cringe a little at the suffering women endured in its name.

Fair enough - I now have the same reaction the old nursery rhyme "ring around the rosies" because of its origins in the black plague. The truth can be disturbing.

Another stupid metaphor is "there's more than 1 way to skin a cat". What a creepy disgusting expression! Really. Who thinks about doing this kind of thing at all-let alone in multiple ways; Hannibal Lecter? Jack the Ripper? Anyone who uses this expression around me is NEVER going anywhere near my cat (or my dogs). Makes my skin crawl.

Indeed. I also hate "kill 2 birds with one stone", such sadism. I hope one day it becomes a metaphor for one wrong choice claiming 2 victims, acknowledging that a bird's death is not a happy event. Although I don't mind "let's not flog a dead horse" so much, but if you removed the "dead" and made it refer to horses in general, it would be an even better piece of advice.

"New and improved"

Either it's new, because there's never been one before, OR it's improved, becaues there has been one before.

Either it's new, because there's never been one before, OR it's improved, becaues there has been one before.

You don't say - that figure of speech makes no sense.

You don't say what? - you don't say that it's either new or improved (just using what you said as an example of something you could say this to)

Okay then, well, no, you don't say that on a regular basis, but let's just excuse the verb tense there, even though "you didn't say that..." makes more sense

I can accept that "you didn't say that" expresses disbelief, but when people just use it to mean "that's interesting" it makes no sense.

I can believe perfectly well that you said that about "new and improved" and that your statement is true. I don't doubt that's what you've said.

Unless you've grown up hearing and/or using this phrase frequently, it is absurdly illogical. What do non-native English speakers think (if any are following this thread)?

The expression "the best ever" in whatever context it's being used.

1. according to whom is this the best?
2. by now I kinda expected that people learned that something will be superceded on rather short term. So the concept of something being the best ever is outdated really, really fast. (on a smallsidenote; it's the same sillyness for world records. Nowadays there's always a "bigger fish" and we can't deal in absolutes anymore)

The expression "the best ever" in whatever context it's being used.

1. according to whom is this the best?
2. by now I kinda expected that people learned that something will be superceded on rather short term. So the concept of something being the best ever is outdated really, really fast. (on a smallsidenote; it's the same sillyness for world records. Nowadays there's always a "bigger fish" and we can't deal in absolutes anymore)

You're right, it is subjective, and presumptuous. I think, though, that people really men "the best in history"/"the best that's ever been" which has been shortened rather illogically to "the best ever".

You're right, it is subjective, and presumptuous. I think, though, that people really men "the best in history"/"the best that's ever been" which has been shortened rather illogically to "the best ever".

I understand how it shortenend, however, this year a movie comes out as "the most expensive ever"... next year one comes out that tops that. So how is it "ever". At least use "most expensive to date"... and by all means cite a source and a date.

I can just see how some stuff gets advertised years after as "the best to date"... but if something came out in 2012, and was "the best to date" why am I still thinking this is "the best to date" in 2015?

On the other hand, I'm quite sure that not everyone is so into checking sources and all... must've been something that's both a bit of my asperger's as well as something that got stuck with me when I attended university a few years back.

I don't really think it becoming outdated is too much of a problem, especially in advertising, which is all about the present, and not really meant to be durable.

But with something like the Titanic being called the "biggest shipwreck ever" I really do think we have to recognise that there have been even more damaging shipwrecks since then, even they don't contain the romance of the Titanic.

Last edited:
Like referring to all photocopying as Xeroxing & all cola drinks as Coke. Here, all paper towels are typically referred to as 'des Scott Towels' . In A French-Canadian accent.

New Threads

Top Bottom