• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Figure of Speech That You Dislike The Most

"Suck it up."

I can't tell you how crazy this makes me. I don't appreciate someone belittling any concerns I might have about something. This phrase should be banned.

"Lessons will be learned..."

This phrase has become a cliche in the UK. It was used today at an inquest on a woman who committed suicide after months of abuse and noise nuisance from neighbours. The coroner criticized both the local council and the police for taking no action to deal with the problem and the response from both were the above words.

Annoying expression: "Can I be honest with you?"

Possible responses to keep on-hand:
1. "Uhh...just this once: next time LIE YOUR @$$ OF TO ME LIKE USUAL!"
2. "What; were you lying to me all those other times?!?"
3. " NO WAY!! YOU'D BETTER LIE RIGHT NOW so I can test out this new BULL$#!TOMETER designed by Dizzy, WYV & Soup!"
4. "You can be as honest as you like BUT I'm gonna LIE like a rug!!!"

"It was meant to be..."

And, used by my ex-mother-in-law, "Evidently..." frequently used out of place. She means, "apparently..."

Also, "They say..." WHO ARE THEY?!

I HATE "it was meant to be" unless used sarcastically. How would one determine if something was meant to be and when was this destination determined and who determined it?
Must have been "they."

"You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family."

People say this to underline the importance of family. Um...what? Je ne comprends pas.:sticky_question:

Also for those who hate "at the end of the day" - just remember, at the end of the day, it's 11:59 PM. :tongue:

These might already be noted, but I'm sick of the "tough" phrases like the "suck it up" mentioned above: "man up" "no excuses" "Do Your Job!" and the like. Yeah, no one ever says no excuses to him'herself when they need something--no just say to someone in bad spot (someone you don't like or don't know). I rember one boss who wanted his underlings to be like Lance Armstrong--wonder who the guy's new hero is!
I've been waiting a long time for these ones to go away "It is what it is" and the sarcastic "really" and "seriously" ("You can't fix a flat tire, really, seriously"--sometimes you get both words!)

A REAL ____ would NEVER (or always) _____.

What the hell does that mean: anyone who doesn't react or think in accordance with this expression is suddenly inauthentic or synthetic or something? Many people (dumb ones) use it in debates (like politicians). It is alternatively knows as the 'no true Scotsman' argument.

It makes me nuts when someone answers a question with "Well, yes and no". I get that not everything is black and white, and can certainly understand shades of grey. But when someone says that it usually means that they will not actually answer the question but I have to wait and listen to them not answer it, at length. Maddening.

This bothers me also,,,Actually right now I'm freaking out with this behavior. It seems that people don't answer the question at all, EVER.... I have many Narcissists in my life right now, and this is a ploy used by them. So do you think this is a normal AS trait? I'm really tired of not getting answers. It's killing me right now. I'm finding deceit everywhere, at work, at home, with my family of origin, the government, on and on and on and on and on

This bothers me also,,,Actually right now I'm freaking out with this behavior. It seems that people don't answer the question at all, EVER.... I have many Narcissists in my life right now, and this is a ploy used by them. So do you think this is a normal AS trait? I'm really tired of not getting answers. It's killing me right now. I'm finding deceit everywhere, at work, at home, with my family of origin, the government, on and on and on and on and on
I think that many Aspies find it frustrating when people do not say things straight out (can I get an Amen, brothers and sisters?).

...I've been waiting a long time for these ones to go away...

Yes, at least these irritating idioms are on a linguistic rotation system. Out with "When in Rome..." in with "get with it" or whatever it is nowadays.

One that's been causing me a lot of trouble recently is "Are you going to do that the whole way through." When I was seeing Wreck-It Ralph - great film - with my little brother and sister, and we were chatting during the "pre-show" rather than paying attention to the endless desperate advertisements, a man who was sitting next to us said, "Excuse me!" I looked at him, he looked at me as though he'd just perfectly expressed himself and I should know exactly what was on his mind, then he said, "are you guys gonna talk for the whole movie?"

My first thought was, "no, we're not going to talk through any of it," but my little sister, who's a native NT speaker, said, "sorry." As it turns out, that annoying man was the one who was noisy during the whole film, trying desperately to connect and laugh with his 3-year-old son, who was a far more considerate audience member.

The other time was when I was giving a Power Point presentation in drama class about an Italian theatre director, and when I cam to reading the first Italian play title, a very jovial member of the class gave on of his purposefully awful pronunciations. I found it amusing, and asked him, "are you going to do that the whole way through? Because there's lots of them in here." Meaning, very sincerely, "are we going to have the pleasure of such hilarity during the whole thing?" I even said it laughingly, but he remained quiet for the rest of it. It was only the day after as I was reflecting on the event that I realised the meaning he'd taken from it.

I can't wait for that simple question to return to being just that, and not a sarcastic remark. I did clear it up with him two days later though, but he didn't really care too much about it anymore. I just didn't want them all to keep thinking of me as the no-nonsense teacher's pet.

When someone says something meant to be rude or sarcastic or funny, followed by a "just sayin'."

Yes, I can tell you are talking. How does pointing it out make it funnier?

It really annoys me that people use slang like "YOLO" and "LOL".

These abbreviations could mean anything, and you don't even have a clue what people are saying to you.

It really annoys me that people use slang like "YOLO" and "LOL".

These abbreviations could mean anything, and you don't even have a clue what people are saying to you.

Unless you've been living under a rock or aren't as much online as say... my parents, you've heard either phrase quite often.

Especially LOL is so embedded in contemporary (pop)culture I find it hard to believe that anyone under 35 doesn't know what this means. YOLO... while it's a relatively new "expression" is something most people that end up online will hear about.

And since they're part of said contemporary culture, these things will end up on Urban dictionairy, which by now is my first go to place when I read a new abreviation.

But speaking about slang as such... if YOLO and LOL are considered "what the F are you talking about", how about any slang. Even expressions like quid (as in British currency) or bucks (as in Dollars) started out as slang and they're part of everyday language now. Some of these internet abbreviations and slang will make a bigger mark in language in say... the next 20 to 50 years (and that might even be a stretch).

Don't take it as a personal attack though.

Yeah I do believe that any slang would be labelled as "What the F are you talking about" - But the thing is that it really annoys me that people say that in the day-to-day life instead of saying it's funny it's LOL, and instead of saying the actual phrase "You only live once" people make it easier and say "YOLO"

It's cool that we have these traits, but for some people, it's a difficulty in actually understanding the phrase.

Edit: Forgot to mention that YOLO and LOL were only two examples, there are more that people don't understand, or have never even heard of yet.

What I find a little strange is when people use an acronym in speech in place of the actual words when it takes more syllables to say the acronym. I thought the whole point of substituting letters for words was to save time. Acronyms make a lot of sense for written language, but don't always translate so well into the spoken language. For example, saying "WWW" (or "www") takes 9 syllables, 6 more than verbalising "world wide web". It only really makes sense to verbalise it when one is telling someone an Internet address (although mercifully these days the "www" part is becoming obsolete). On the other hand saying "NATO" makes sense because it uses less syllables than "North Atlantic Treaty Organisation."

It's bizarre, IMO, to verbalise "L.O.L." (pronounced "el oh el") (3 syllables) instead of saying something such as "ha ha" (2 syllables). Of course, I don't dispute that writing lol or LOL is a handy time saver, but I'm not a fan of verbalising "lol" (pronounced "loll") especially since the word "loll" means something else. It seems to me that people who verbalise lol are trying to be trendy or sarcastic.

However, I don't allow myself to get too hung up on these things. Language is an organic, living thing that tends to sort itself out as it evolves.

However, I don't allow myself to get too hung up on these things. Language is an organic, living thing that tends to sort itself out as it evolves.

Very, very well put. Modern English is at least the fourth version of the language that has been evolving with time, social changes, foreign invasions and technological changes for thousands of years. There's no need to fawn over something that's been looking after itself for so long, so well.

Might just add, though, that an abbreviation is only an acronym if it is said as a word. "NETO" is an acronym, but "www" isn't. It is very inefficient and unusual that we've chosen to read it as three three-syllable letters, rather than three one-syllable words, but that's because "w" is the only letter with three syllables, I suppose. I think it's even more odd that we call it "double u" and haven't given it its own concise, independent name. We don't call "m" "double n". I find this a very interesting thing to observe.

I'm reading a book at the moment - "Spell it Out" - about the history of English Spelling.

A fascinating book.

However, someone said to me that they should scrap Autism diagnoses tests and just ask, "Would you enjoy reading a book about the history of English spelling?" :)

New Threads

Top Bottom