• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Figure of Speech That You Dislike The Most

eon

Jimmy The Neurotypical
"That really makes you think!"

Just aggravates me beyond all others because it reminds me how much people are afraid to use their minds and they treat getting their thought provoked as a chance occurrence that reminds them how often they forget to think things through. i hate cognitive laziness and i am surrounded by it every day, by the disregard for any type of rational behavior. i navigate the roadways to my work wondering how everyone can so easily disregard safety.. what is so important? wake up and use your brain please... it's really a shame against the inheritance of such consciousness and mental ability that is granted to every new member of this species right now.

I just watched "Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance" at the recommendation of someone I believe it was on WP in the aspie music thread. i have some certain favorite mood films that cognitively lazy people tend to hate and this is joining the list to be frequently re-watched when I am in that mood. (for example a few others are waking life, slacker, and punch drunk love). its portrayal of the earth and what people have chosen to do with it is a strong statement on this mental laziness. it's 27 years later now after it was made and it doesn't seem that the majorities in power have had any significant intention of moving toward the different way of living called for by the current one.

Last edited:
"Well, what I was trying to say before I was so rudely interrupted is..."

This is a figure of speech that my mother has used on me to varying effect over the years and I lately have discovered that I am actually using it now myself.
Having said that shames me, because I hate those words used on me as she more often says that phrase even when I haven’t interrupted her!

It makes me nuts when someone answers a question with "Well, yes and no". I get that not everything is black and white, and can certainly understand shades of grey. But when someone says that it usually means that they will not actually answer the question but I have to wait and listen to them not answer it, at length. Maddening.

"do you understand?"

I suppose that could be considered a figure of speech. In any case it annoys me to the point where I refuse to actually answer that question most of the time. People, as I came to figure out early in life are generally not actually meaning to ask you we understand or not. They typically assume we do, and are mearly asking in order to hold their power over others.

I hate the phrase "moving forward". It was used to excess in Australian politics fairly recently, and I'm pretty sure it was borrowed from US politics. It is such a completely useless filler phrase, essentially meaning "in the future" but it is always superfluous to the sentence, which would sound better without it; as in "We will be returning the budget to surplus, moving forward". Whenever I hear it used by a politician, I'm on the lookout for spin. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. I expect that as opinion polls reflect the public's hatred of politician's meaningless drivel, we will be hearing less of this phrase "moving forward" moving forward. :D

Last edited:
I don't recall this specific phrase used in excess here in the States, but it might just be a drop in the sea of blather that is political life here.

I don't recall this specific phrase used in excess here in the States, but it might just be a drop in the sea of blather that is political life here.

I'm pretty sure your President Osama [sic] Obama used it a fair bit along with "yes we can" but I could be wrong.

But at the end of the day, I'd have to say I hate the expression "at the end of the day".

And "I think there's a lesson in that for all of us".

I don't know if I dislike it most, but pretty much all variants of "and that's the way the cookie crumbles"... or in general "that's the way it is".

Yes, some things are like that, but they're not like that for NO reason. So there is no "way". I even feel that the expression lacks the word "just". "that's just the way it is".. and even then... why is it "just that way"?

Besides... cookies don't crumble because it's like that... cookies most likely crumble because of gravity, and the inability to keep together in a solid form as such.

I'm a person that wants to see arguments, facts and the whole nine... even if that requires reading up on background information. Thus someone telling me "that's the way it is"... please, give me your sources so I can see why its "the way it is". Can't be bothered to use sourcematerial... good, I'm not considering you part of the argument and that half-assed figure of speech not either.

I don't hate it enough to never use it myself though... but, like pretty much everything I talk about with anyone (including posts on forums) I like to elaborate on stuff and make more valid points if possible instead of going for single sentence answers.

So in that way I think the biggest issue lies in using any figure of speech which actually requires a follow up with citation and sources, as to a near philosophical debate on why it even is "just like that" is actually which bothers me over the use of the superficial expression.

Oh, and another one of those expressions I hate... since I feel it's pretty much everytime directed towards, me. "TL;DR" for people not into contemporary internetculture/slang, it means; Too long, didn't read.

It's something that happens on forums a lot, where someone makes a post, that might or may not have quality arguments in it, but some people are a bunch of ignoramuses that reply to such extensive posts with a short TL;DR and a short irrelevant comment. Granted, I see this more on boards with little to no moderators. And obviously it's just trolling. But in general the expression, it makes me cringe because people, to my understanding, go on a forum to read and discuss things. If you're unable to read a long post and just want to be funny all the time, I feel you don't belong in such discussions. Especially since you're actually trolling towards a post/user and not in general... and in that way it feels more personal.

All of the sudden

I drank a water (Seriously, you drank 3 atoms?)

Leverage (My construction co-workers think this word can be used in place of any other word it seems)

When people refer to any MP3 player as an iPod. It's not an iPod. That's like saying I drove my Honda to the gas station. It's not a Honda its a damn Chevrolet, there's differences.

i don't know if i dislike it most, but pretty much all variants of "and that's the way the cookie crumbles"... Or in general "that's the way it is".

Yes, some things are like that, but they're not like that for no reason. So there is no "way". I even feel that the expression lacks the word "just". "that's just the way it is".. And even then... Why is it "just that way"?

Besides... Cookies don't crumble because it's like that... Cookies most likely crumble because of gravity, and the inability to keep together in a solid form as such.

I'm a person that wants to see arguments, facts and the whole nine... Even if that requires reading up on background information. Thus someone telling me "that's the way it is"... Please, give me your sources so i can see why its "the way it is". Can't be bothered to use sourcematerial... Good, i'm not considering you part of the argument and that half-assed figure of speech not either.

I don't hate it enough to never use it myself though... But, like pretty much everything i talk about with anyone (including posts on forums) i like to elaborate on stuff and make more valid points if possible instead of going for single sentence answers.

So in that way i think the biggest issue lies in using any figure of speech which actually requires a follow up with citation and sources, as to a near philosophical debate on why it even is "just like that" is actually which bothers me over the use of the superficial expression.

oh, and another one of those expressions i hate... Since i feel it's pretty much everytime directed towards, me. "tl;dr" for people not into contemporary internetculture/slang, it means; too long, didn't read.

It's something that happens on forums a lot, where someone makes a post, that might or may not have quality arguments in it, but some people are a bunch of ignoramuses that reply to such extensive posts with a short tl;dr and a short irrelevant comment. Granted, i see this more on boards with little to no moderators. And obviously it's just trolling. But in general the expression, it makes me cringe because people, to my understanding, go on a forum to read and discuss things. If you're unable to read a long post and just want to be funny all the time, i feel you don't belong in such discussions. Especially since you're actually trolling towards a post/user and not in general... And in that way it feels more personal.

tl;dr - jk ;)

All of the sudden

I drank a water (Seriously, you drank 3 atoms?)

Leverage (My construction co-workers think this word can be used in place of any other word it seems)

When people refer to any MP3 player as an iPod. It's not an iPod. That's like saying I drove my Honda to the gas station. It's not a Honda its a damn Chevrolet, there's differences.

Anyway, I was driving my Honda pickup from the gas station the other day, whilst listening to my Sony iPod, when all of a sudden I got thirsty. I could have just bought a water, but figured I could get it cheaper if I bought a carton, you know, used a bit of leverage. Not having enough cash on me I stopped at the bank to get some money from the ATM machine...Is this what you mean?:D

I used to find the phrase "you're seeing things" pretty annoying, because it doesn't really makes sense. We see objects all the time.

I also get annoyed at the inexhaustible amount of crude euphemisms that keep flooding in and dominating the language.
I remember once reading an old book about two good friends enjoying a fencing contest, and it was described as something like, "Fred and I enjoyed gay intercourse with our hard, pointed sticks". You definitely couldn't say that today!

"Honestly,..."

Why would you need to say that unless you normally lie? And if you normally lie, why am I going to trust you more just because you say you're going to tell the truth. You could be lying about that!

A stitch in time saves nine. How can you put a stitch in time? I was an adult before I figured out what this was supposed to mean, and I still don't like it.

A stitch in time saves nine. How can you put a stitch in time? I was an adult before I figured out what this was supposed to mean, and I still don't like it.

You're not the only one that had trouble getting sayings. And when it suddenly dawns on you, how do you feel? I believe this is a common problem for Aspies. I often had problems with assignment questions; I couldn't get the gist of what the lecturer was wanting; couldn't get the big picture.:H

New Threads

Top Bottom