• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Figure of Speech That You Dislike The Most

this thread is making me very happy now! I also always intuitively provide many sentences when responding to almost any inquiry. you just leave most people behind because they are uninterested in listening or learning, and that's what irritates me the most when dealing with bullcrap figures of speech that people use to further their opt out of critical thought and what I consider to be simple intellectualism.

TLDR: my favorite definition of intellectual individual recently popped up on Penn Jillette's podcast - someone who can/will change their mind when presented with information!

When people misuse the word "ironic".
"I was walking over to the fridge and I stubbed my toe on the cat litter box, how ironic lolz"

Also, "That awkward moment when ..." followed by a non-awkward moment.
"That awkward moment when you realise you have to go to work soon."

I don't understand many figures of speech.

I also believe figures of speech, beyond confusing vocal exchange, are wastes of time and a lazy way of communicating.

People rely on mundane, comical and provincial statements to get a point across? Just speak your mind without the camouflage.

I don't understand many figures of speech.

I also believe figures of speech, beyond confusing vocal exchange, are wastes of time and a lazy way of communicating.

People rely on mundane, comical and provincial statements to get a point across? Just speak your mind without the camouflage.

That's pretty much whenever people claim they "speak" in sarcasm IMO.

Using sarcasm extensively looks more like people want to make up their own insecurities by joking around in a cynical way. Don't get me wrong... sarcasm is ok... to some extent. But people sometimes claim to talk nothing but sarcasm, and as such they are never understood by me, and as a result get mad because I claim I have no clue what they're saying.

The biggest problem with figures of speech is that you have to be aware that not everyone knows those figures of speech, and you'll end up explaining that and actually lose more time rather than communicate effectively (which sometimes ends up in people blaming you for not knowing THEIR figures of speech, no matter how obscure they might be).

I also believe figures of speech, beyond confusing vocal exchange, are wastes of time and a lazy way of communicating...People rely on mundane, comical and provincial statements to get a point across? Just speak your mind without the camouflage.

People do it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, they are lazy; they have no original ideas of their own, so they borrow other people's. Secondly, they think that using a cliched or hackneyed expression makes them sound erudite.

I can't stand figurative speech. I remember when I was in school before I was diagnosed with aspergers and the teachers were teaching us figurative speech. I never could understand why they would use personification and idioms because they seemed like such a waste of time...its like using 3 words when one word would suffice.

One of the ones I hate the most is "going through the door" or something like that....I can never remember the exact wording. I just dont understand it...It's supposed to be something about stepping outside of where you feel comfortable but it's weird...People try to explain it to me over and over but it just doesnt make sense to me.

and theres another one I cant stand but for some reason I cant think of it right now so I'll post it when I remember :)

Oh, I came up with two more:
First is the way people like to use synonyms for death. It's like they're uncomfortable saying that someone died. They have to say passed away, passed on, or is no longer with us. I don't get it. Do they think that the death will not be real if they just keep from saying the word dead?

The second is the best. "Don't beat around the bush". This essentially means just say what your trying to say. It's so ironic because in saying that, they are, to use the phrase, "Beating around the bush" because they are not directly saying what they are trying to say.

One of the ones I hate the most is "going through the door" or something like that....I can never remember the exact wording. I just dont understand it

Is it "stepping outside your comfort zone" that you're looking for?

For an aspie, I'm actually pretty well versed in figures of speech, and have an interest in them since I like linguistics. I also enjoy genuinely poetic figurative language, like Shakespeare's. However, I do find cliches annoying, I do often prefer concise terms rather than long-winded sayings, and I do think that the subjectivity of figurative language needs to be more widely acknowledged.

On one occasion, I was talking to 2 friends of mine (a hard feat in itself for me - I do find conversing with multiple people confusing) and one was explaining why they hated one of our classmates, person A. Then my other friend, person B, condemned him for "back-stabbing". I contested, and person B asked patronisingly "do you know what back-stabbing is?"

Well, if you claim to be dealing with cold-hard logic, as they were, then the answer really is "when you take a sharp object and use it penetrate someone's back."

They both read the metaphor as meaning to criticise someone unbeknownst to them, whereas I saw it as an active betrayal.

It was one of the worst conversations of my life, they were both pompously stubborn in their interpretations and were trying to school me on what it "really" means. I hate it when neurotypicals are like this, and unfortunately they are this way very often.

I don't get it. Do they think that the death will not be real if they just keep from saying the word dead?

As I understand it, they're not delusional, they just can't face the reality of it. They're too scared to approach it without the protection of a euphemism. Also, I suppose "passed on" makes the death seem less tragic and more of a natural release from the struggles of life.

Although personally I don't think these euphemisms are healthy. Aspies are often told that constant solitude and a limited variety of passtime activities are not good for them, and that they should bravely face the real world outside. I find it extremely hypocritical because neurotypicals can be just as scared and sheltered from the gritty outer world, if not more so.

Lastly: nice observation of "beating about the bush".

I don't mind figures of speech, particularly. What really bothers me is when people mess them up. It is very, very hard not to correct them constantly. Ones I hear most are:

"Wreck havoc" instead of "wreak" (if you wreck havoc, does that mean you negated it, and there's no havoc, actually? confused...)
"Step foot" instead of "set" (you don't step foot places, you set your foot down)
and in writing, people simply cannot spell "amok", as in "run amok", they spell it "a muck" or "amuck".

Since my job involves instructing others, I often have to use metaphors or similes quite a bit, and I'm pretty comfortable with language in general. But when people use things improperly it just makes me shudder inside, like my brain itches...

"Oh that's Normal"

Say what; come again, once more and slowly this time... how the hell is that "normal"?
If I comment on something I find odd, disagreeable or uncomfortable then it is not normal for me and therefore only normal by majority, what you are insinuating is that I am not normal for finding something off about a supposedly normal thing or situation!

Bah ; ]

1. Can I say something?
2. Do you mind if I ask you a question?
3. LOL

1,2--How would I know? I haven't heard it yet, and if I had, it would be too late for me to answer effectively.
3. Very little is that funny, certainly nothing one has to call attention to by using LOL after it.

I don't mind figures of speech, particularly. What really bothers me is when people mess them up. It is very, very hard not to correct them constantly. Ones I hear most are:

"Wreck havoc" instead of "wreak" (if you wreck havoc, does that mean you negated it, and there's no havoc, actually? confused...)
"Step foot" instead of "set" (you don't step foot places, you set your foot down)
and in writing, people simply cannot spell "amok", as in "run amok", they spell it "a muck" or "amuck".

Since my job involves instructing others, I often have to use metaphors or similes quite a bit, and I'm pretty comfortable with language in general. But when people use things improperly it just makes me shudder inside, like my brain itches...

I wish some people would take a moment to realise what they're actually saying, like when people say "I could of done it".

When people say "I could care less." Oh, you could? Tell me more about how you're trying to say you don't care.
"I COULDN'T care less" is the correct format.

I really hate "at the end of the day." No, you don't know what's going to happen at the end of the day. You're likely not even talking about the end of the day, you're speaking about the supposed end of a scenario!

When people say "I could care less." Oh, you could? Tell me more about how you're trying to say you don't care.
"I COULDN'T care less" is the correct format.

I really hate "at the end of the day." No, you don't know what's going to happen at the end of the day. You're likely not even talking about the end of the day, you're speaking about the supposed end of a scenario!

Fortunately I've never actually heard someone say "I could care less" but the very thought of it annoys me. If someone could care less, it means that they must care at least a little bit, so it actually almost means the exact opposite.

And I also hate cliches like "at the end of the day", they've been beaten senseless against people's pens and mouths.

New Threads

Top Bottom