• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The drawback of staying more at home, than going out and a question to ask?

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I have just seen my dr and to be honest, it was more than the usual surreal sensation, due to rarely going out now, but going out and circulating with others, causes untold horrors as well.

Anyway, am in a bit of shock and anxiety on a high. He checked my tension and it is a bit high, enough that I have to test it on my own for 3 days. I am imagining all kinds of horrors and now feel sure it is due to thyroid, but will find that out, when I have blood tests and for once, needles do not cause me grief.

Anyone else have high blood pressure and if so, how do you deal with it?

I dunno about high blood pressure, but I know about the anxiety bit and staying home too much.

I had a huge anxiety attack a few weeks back. It was awful. After talking with my father about it... him being far wiser than I am... the idea was that I spend waaaaayyyyyyyy too much time in my own stupid little bubble... my supposed "safe zone". And when I thought about that, I realized he was right... all the signs were there. Less and less time out of the house, less going over to friends' houses when I used to go frequently, repeated activities when at home.... and during all of that, increased paranoia and random fears and none of it actually logical. Heck, when I pointed out the thing that was scaring me (I wont go into it here) my father responded with this long string of info and logic that completely countered it... and I left that conversation thinking "wow... I've been such an idiot this whole time. And all because I've been so stuck in a rut without noticing..." In fact, when I REALLY sit down and properly logic my way through various things I've been scared of... they start to just seem ridiculous. Like "Wait... that bit there doesnt even make logical sense. Where did I even get that from? I've got this totally backwards, how could I get scared of that?" And Im the sort where normally, I pride myself on my logical way of thinking and how I normally DONT fall for that sort of thing. Yet there, I'd gone and failed at that completely.

I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum that I've gotten into a new hobby recently, and that's one of the reasons why. Change up my routine with something completely different. And I'm being encouraged to get OUT of the house more... even if I'm just driving around randomly.

Not that all of that is an immediate cure mind you. I still have moments where those fears randomly come back to haunt me, and I will usually sit down and think to myself "okay, just calm down... remember the things he's been teaching me and think this out carefully instead of freaking out". Usually I'll then force myself to go DO something, usually one of my hobbies, or maybe walk the dog or something.

Being sedentary is REALLY not good for us. But those on the spectrum are even more likely to get stuck in a rut like that due to our tendency to avoid situations and repeat actions without variation.

THe main things I'd suggest: 1, get outside more. Even if it's just a walk up and down the street... whatever. 2. Whatever your special interests are, force yourself to do them more, particularly when you're feeling anxious and nervous. and finally, 3. when imagining horrors... sit down and ask "Why? Why am I imagining this? Is it actually logical, and what am I basing it on?" Carefully analyzing stuff goes a long way.

Also the final thing: Above all else, DO NOT try to find a solution on the internet, or research things you're scared of. It wont help. I often refer to the internet as "a bastion of lies and treachery" and that idea is born out of so very, very many years of experience. Ask people you know for help if you must, but... yeah. Dont try to use the Net to get info.

avoid salt/sodium - and remember that canned foods and frozen foods have a lot of sodium to keep them fresh. Best thing is fresh vegetables. Of course, avoiding stress. But, I think the salt will make the biggest difference.

Anxiety does and will cause high blood pressure... At least it does for me. Lately I've been extremely anxious to the point that just about anything sets me off - even had to go to A&E a week ago because a panic attack was beyond what I ever imagined one could be like; and was unlike other panic attacks I had previously. They did tests on my heart, x-rayed my lungs, did blood tests.. everything was normal pretty much - except for the blood pressure.

But as @Misery rightly pointed out in their example - I think I was spending too much time in my safe zone. Not going out as much as I should, keeping isolated. That creates a fear of the outside and also creates other irrational fears. It all contributes to the creation of anxiety and physical symptoms which are actually very real (blood pressure, indigestion, headaches, chest pain, muscle tension etc.).

I've been working on trying to be as calm as humanly possible and avoid any stimulation while the high anxiety state is here... With it, blood pressure has been steadily going back to normal. I've been eating bland food - i.e. low fat, low sugar, no caffeine, no spice etc as well which probably helps some too. No stimulation from anywhere, internal or external. At least while the worst of the anxiety passes. I'm also trying to go out a little more, go for small walks, trying to break that fear. Talking to people more online. Having a purpose, doing stuff that is useful for someone else. Keeping occupied. Anxiety always gets worse when I'm sitting idle and overthinking things...

avoid salt/sodium - and remember that canned foods and frozen foods have a lot of sodium to keep them fresh. Best thing is fresh vegetables. Of course, avoiding stress. But, I think the salt will make the biggest difference.
unless it specifically says no added salt

Last edited:
Anxiety does and will cause high blood pressure... At least it does for me. Lately I've been extremely anxious to the point that just about anything sets me off - even had to go to A&E a week ago because a panic attack was beyond what I ever imagined one could be like; and was unlike other panic attacks I had previously. They did tests on my heart, x-rayed my lungs, did blood tests.. everything was normal pretty much - except for the blood pressure.

But as @Misery rightly pointed out in their example - I think I was spending too much time in my safe zone. Not going out as much as I should, keeping isolated. That creates a fear of the outside and also creates other irrational fears. It all contributes to the creation of anxiety and physical symptoms which are actually very real (blood pressure, indigestion, headaches, chest pain, muscle tension etc.).

I've been working on trying to be as calm as humanly possible and avoid any stimulation while the high anxiety state is here... With it, blood pressure has been steadily going back to normal. I've been eating bland food - i.e. low fat, low sugar, no caffeine, no spice etc as well which probably helps some too. No stimulation from anywhere, internal or external. At least while the worst of the anxiety passes. I'm also trying to go out a little more, go for small walks, trying to break that fear. Talking to people more online. Having a purpose, doing stuff that is useful for someone else. Keeping occupied. Anxiety always gets worse when I'm sitting idle and overthinking things...

Ah, yeah, that's a good thing to mention, is that anxiety really does cause all sorts of screwball symptoms.

Sensory lunacy is one of those... when I have a bad anxiety attack I get this nasty tingling feeling around my back/shoulders. It is maddening, and it doesnt go away till I calm down. Talk about overload.

I'll stress again though the importance of DOING something when in that high-anxiety state though. I've been having a rather anxious day myself for... nothing resembling a reason. Starting to feel kinda off as a result. So I went downstairs, set up one of my board games, and got going with that. Specifically one that is difficult and creates lots of tension. The anxiety was just gone as I was enthralled and/or irritated by the rolling of many dice and things. I feel much better now. That's how it usually goes.

Really does help alot. Regardless of what the specific activity is.

l love staying at home and some of us have to stay at home due to finances. l read, l watch movies, l love home-bound zen. There are millions of people on the planet that are home-bound for one reason or another.

l love staying at home and some of us have to stay at home due to finances. l read, l watch movies, l love home-bound zen. There are millions of people on the planet that are home-bound for one reason or another.
It would be wonderful if you had pets. I hope you have a dog at least.

Home is where the heart is...

I've had hypertension for a couple of years - age, stress, diet, lack of exercise mainly. I can't get any younger and aerobic exercise is next to impossible with my joints, so I try to limit the stress and watch my diet these days. I'm on Ramipril from the doctor too but only a low dose.

I am home MOST of the time, keyword MOST. I do go out for random drives, albeit short ones since gas is very expensive here, and I patronize such businesses as the dollar store and supermarket and the grungy minimart down in the barrio that plays rap music over the store loudspeakers (now THAT is ghetto!) because they're one of the few convenient places in the area to get a candy bar that isn't half melted. I was at my favorite thrift store for an hour today looking at books. That is about all the human interaction I can handle, but it is far better than being a total hikikomori.

When I'm up in the Jefferson backcountry on my land I may only go to Yreka once a week, but I will have the plants and creatures of the wild for company. Look up the Metallica song "Wherever I May Roam" on youtube. Humans were meant to be one with Nature, and the best hunters lived in near solitude for many weeks chasing prey. Even today Navajo hunters will trek across vast deserts to find meat and plants.

Your blood pressure may have been high due to anxiety. Don't stress about it as it may result in an inaccurate reading as you test yourself. Eat a clove of garlic with your meal everyday and make sure you drink plenty of water. Try reading up on a detox diet and after consulting your gp about it, perhaps try it out. As others have pointed out - avoid processed food. I hope this helps.

Oh, and try to exercise. I know leaving home is difficult for people like us, but a 30 min walk in your neighbourhood will make a huge difference.

Last edited:
Also be careful with sugar. Enough of it will really mess you up. Currently on a sugar diet. Limiting my intake.

I'm a candidate for high blood pressure, but I concern myself with stress and anxiety beyond any other afflictions. I am trying a method known as "mindfulness". It isn't magic and it is easy to grasp. It's about producing a sense of calm by stopping, implementing a few simple breathing exercises, and using focus to calmly get through a task or routine. The method is aptly named because it requires you to focus on exactly what you are doing, calmly. The one drawback is that it slows me down, quite literally, but that helps me remain calm and focused.

I also agree with the idea of a pet. And, it isn't healthy to be homebound by choice. Give yourself an excuse to go somewhere. Stop in a park and do some simple stretching exercises. A little bit of all ideas can make a noticeable difference. I also agree with the low-salt/no-salt options. Most of the adults I know are dealing with some sort of high blood pressure issue. They cope, but they have to manage their food and/or medication. Do what works best for you. Good luck.

Sorry for not "thumbing" each one up, but see this answer as that "thumbing".

I think it is either due to the usual amount of anxiety I have been suffering from or my thyroid, which apparently causes anxiety anyway.

I obviously have health anxiety back ( it calmed down considerably), because I practised taking my blood pressure last night and was frightened out of my wits, when the reading was very high. Panic hit me hard! I then, decided that I should take it again ( I have to take it 3 times late morning and again, evening), so I did and honestly, relief just ran through my body. Although high still, had gone down quite a bit and that was an aid in me not panicking during the night.

My husband pointed out that if it was that serious, instead of asking me to check myself, I would have been sent straight to the hospital and that calmed me a bit.

I do not eat a lot of salt and actually, very rarely use salt in cooking, as I like the natural flavours to work instead.

No choice with frozen foods. But we are growing some veggies and have been eating those.

Do eat a little processed foods, because I am not a savy in the kitchen and so motivation is missing; but I do my best.

Suffered anxiety since I was 7 upwards and never suffered high blood pressure. Well, each time seeing a dr, blood pressure was normal, but saying that, I do think this time, anxiety is playing a huge part in my elavated tension.

I really have a huge struggle with unknown places and believe it or not, but living in a foreign country, brings all that struggle to the fore, because no matter how many times, I walk the same street, it still feels "unknown" to me and thus, panic.

I do sense though, that with what is happening in the eu, that I might well be ordered to return to my country and although huge anxieties will attack me and it will be hard to leave my home ( as it is established now), I think I would be better in my own country. Familarity is a big deal to me, but heck, I have learned a lot due to being in a different country and will train myself to feel gratified for that lesson.

Huh, talking as if it is "set in stone", but I have to be realist and think would could happen.

to put your mind at ease and mine you can apply for French citizenship it costs €55 you’ll have dual citizenship with the UK ,Foods rich in iodine eggs cheese fish seaweed is hugely rich in iodine you can buy seaweed tablets if you try this diet see if your blood pressure comes down hope this helps

Before I was diagnosed autistic my thyroid was long suspected to be the cause of my different behaviour, though repeated tests showed nothing.

Stress and therefore anxiety has a huge impact on blood pressure, hence why the automated voice on my BP monitor always advises to relax, keep calm, and not to speak whilst taking a reading. Underlying BP tends to increase with age too. Managing it requires that we address our stressors or our reaction to them. For some, therapy can help reduce the stress reaction, for others like myself, reducing the number of stressful situations and people is the best way.

In a weird twist of fate, my wife has low blood pressure and postural hypotension, so whilst I keep added salt out of our food as much as possible for my sake, she's advised to slap it on liberally. She even has her own salt grinder by her seat.

New Threads

Top Bottom