• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The drawback of staying more at home, than going out and a question to ask?

I have higher blood pressure, but I also suffer from a variety of serious health conditions so it could be caused by any of them or one of the 18 different meds I'm on.

More relevant - I am a hermit and have been a long time. I can literally go weeks without stepping a foot outside my home or seeing another person besides my wife and our cats.

However, my health is dependent on exercise, and so to avoid going outside I have an indoor process. I developed a walk path through my house, that includes going up and down the stairs, and I just walk back and forth in my house for half an hour to an hour a day.

Some days I skip the stairs, and some days I exclusively go up and down the stairs - usually if I don't have half an hour to spend, since if I go up and down the stairs 15 times I'm going to be on the floor trying to catch my breath.

Another good thing you can do to increase the difficulty is to carry something heavy while you do it, such as filling a backpack with books.

Obviously, if you don't have stairs in your home this would be less effective, but even if you just have space for pacing ... like a table you could walk around and around ... then I can't see how walking around your neighborhood would be much different from an exercise standpoint ... walking is walking ... the benefit of going outside would be vitamin D from the sun and that the scenery might be more interesting ... however, if you don't like the outside, then that's not necessarily going to matter.

If you are physically capable of going outside, even if you don't like it, do it for your own good! Even if it's just circling around your house/building or your neighborhood, that is okay. You can also look up stretches and try to do those. Any movement can help. Even walking for starters. If you have a smart phone, consider downloading Google Fit app.

Last edited:
I have a thyroid disorder, and at diagnosis it was the worst they had ever seen. I felt TERRIBLE. But it took a long time for it to get to that point. Even if the thyroid is off by a little bit, it can make you feel terrible.

You should definitely get it checked out by one or two people just so in case you do have it you can get that fixed as soon as possible and start feeling better. I say two different doctors because sometimes they miss it if the first says it's not your thyroid.

But like I said above, it took a long time for mine to get bad (months/years). I remember feeling really fatigued and low energy around 7th grade, but not getting the diagnosis until sophomore year of high school.

It is possible for it to get bad enough that it is life threatening, but you would be getting help by doctors by then because like I said, you would feel TERRIBLE and the results would definitely show you have a thyroid problem.

New Threads

Top Bottom