• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Talking to yourself?

I love conversing with myself when i'm at home! I have learnt to tone it down though... what would the neighbours think? (oh wait... I know)

I think just about everyone talks to themselves somewhat, but I suppose we do it more. I do debates, interviews, and conversations with myself. The conversations help to combat the loneliness. It's social activity without the unpleasantness of other people.

They say that Mirrors are the eyes of your soul... If that's the case, i can safely say that i've been talking to the mirror (Or even straight up looking at one), talking to myself 10 up to 30 minutes :). I usually talk about how people misgudge anything that there is to see in life because they're not "Digging deeper" into a certain topic i'm particularly fond of (Case in point: Videogames) :)

I have full on conversations with myself all the time. Almost like im two people, two different names and criticizing the other and everything. Im probably crazy in some nations diagnosis books.

I have never figured out why, I pronounce words to myself backwards. This is probably even strange in the Aspie world.
I used to pronounce words backwards to myself when I was younger too Judge, nowadays I swap letters in words, Spoonerisms.
Yes, I have full blown conversations, mainly when I've been alone a while, or when I'm stressed. I also joke with myself.. and laugh at the jokes :oops:

I often talk to myself when I catch myself in a near faux-pas whether I am going to say something that is out of place or do something that is completely inappropriate. "Rob," I say, "better be careful - don't say that or you'll pay for that! Guaranteed!" Sometimes, I almost forget something and I say, "Ugh! I almost forgot to set the alarm in the store!" or, "Aha! The fuel survey!" Many times I say, "Here comes trouble!"

On a more positive note I do tell jokes to myself when the opportunity arises, and I get a great laugh at my own jokes!

I am always talking to myself. It's how I better understand my thoughts, my beliefs, my feelings, and my interests. I see it as no different from journaling in a notebook. I also like the conversations I have with myself.

I also will replay past social interactions in my head and act out the parts. I've done this for as long as I can remember.

I will also imagine conversations and speak my part aloud or inside my head. Doing this in public is no good, lol, because my facial expressions can be quite telling and I may silently mouth the words I am saying internally.

Last edited:
I am always talking to myself. It's how I better understand my thoughts, my beliefs, my feelings, and my interests. I see it as no different from journaling in a notebook. I also like the conversations I have with myself.

I also will replay past social interactions in my head and act out the parts. I've done this for as long as I can remember.

I will also imagine conversations and speak my part aloud or inside my head. Doing this in public is no good, lol, because my facial expressions can be quite telling and I may silently mouth the words I am saying internally.
I do this too lol. No one knows I act out parts or go over and over conversations in my head wishing I could of coped better at the time. I could, though, depending on my mood and confidence levels. Of course, it's done in private, but it's sometimes hard not to look like I'm talking to myself in public. I've had some weird looks in the past (not much thankfully) when I get lost in a script in my head. Lol

These days I think I almost use it as a tool. To rehearse- script important things I need to say.

Does it make me appear balmy ? Hey....I don't really care. It works.

Besides, when you live in relative isolation, your voice could use the exercise. :p

I am always talking to myself, so much so that I often do not even realise it anymore.
I talk to myself while out in public as well, which can bring some strange looks.
I tend to automatically verbalise strong thoughts on things.

lol I always criticized my mom for talking to herself when she was behind a closed door ever sicne I was a kid (sounded like a witch chanting over a caldron or something!) Then I suddenly gave it a try when I found I was driving to my college each day. My goodness it is such a helpful tool! I'm a writer and voice actor on the side and it's a super helpful way to just get ideas out of my head or try out character voices I've been pondering about. I've even developed the habit of keeping my voice recorder in the car in incase I come up with some spurting new idea!

Yes! Most definitely do. I shout at myself all the way to work. Its very embarrassing because i do it at work too and everyone thinks I am crazy. I have also done it on trains, buses and other public places. I wish it would stop

I very rarely talk outloud to myself, but I have been known to carry on full conversations with myself, gestures, facial expressions, and all, but without the mouth movements or sound.

I know you posted this last year, but I can't help answer!

Indeed, I do talk to myself but have never felt comfortable doing so ( I guess the fear of being judged). Sometimes, my husband says: what did you say? Or catches me with my lips moving but no sound and says: is my wife talking to herself and I feel so embarrassed.

I became obsessed with Taylor Swift (not in a sexual way) and so, talking to myself sort of stopped! Well you can't talk to yourself easily and be overhead, by music being loud ;) but find that I have started it up again!

New Threads

Top Bottom