• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Talking to yourself?

Laura

Does anybody talk to themselves? I often have full-on conversations when alone, usually about what I'm watching on TV, I'll launch into these monologues expressing my opinion and structuring arguments to support it. If I had an audience I think I'd make for an excellent politician! Anyway, I was wondering if this is something most of us do, or just a few? If you do do it, how long have you done it for?

I have always talked to myself. It helps me structure my thoughts, but I do it just as an instinct, not for a logic reason. Sometimes when I am in the shower, I draw graphs on the steamy walls to support my argument.

I've been doing this since I was a kid. And in an arrange of different languages, lol

I think it partially is because I don't feel connected to anyone but myself for a big part. Then add up that I can easier arrange thoughts when information is audible. I have extensive "arguments" with myself before I have important appointments to get my thoughts clear after which I will write it down. Especially since I tend to forget stuff as well sometimes, so it's well needed I write important arguments on paper.

I should add that I'm not only discussing "important" stuff with myself... I also come up with jokes, wordplay and anything on a lighter note like that. I just can't live within a "silent" mind like that.

Perhaps it's also why I prefer to go out at night sometimes. Talking to yourself in the quiet night doesn't make me appear as weird (and as such wont make people think they need to call the men in white coats) and I won't be brought out of my train of thought as easy.

Of course I talk to myself. I am practically the only one who understands me!

Although I can't always, I have the highest success rate of anyone I know when it comes to following my train of thought.

Gandalf says, probably in TTT, something about how old wise men like himself tend to pick the wisest person in the room to discuss important matters with – and in the majority of cases that just happens to be himself. I'm not saying I can't get wiser counsel than myself, but at the very least I have to have an inner discussion first about whom and what to ask.

@ Laura: I do the same thing in the same manner BUT only not aloud since I don't like noise & even the sound of my own voice can give me a start. When I call my husband's business line by mistake, I get a recorded message. I always jump & get creeped-out at the low, monotonous hazy & carefully articulate female voice message & say to myself, "What the hell kind of a voice IS that?!? It sounds like the evil robot computer voice in a sci fi film that says, "8.0 seconds until this unit self-destructs. Please prepare to face vaporization."

The hilarious thing is that IT IS MY FREAKIN' VOICE!!!! I know I don't sound anything near normal but if I try to vary my tone & sound...alive & cheerful...it comes out even worse: then, it sounds like the computer robot developed schizophrenia- so talking to even only myself aloud is not an option.

I do talk to myself but I always try to hide it. So only doing it when I'm alone. My grandmother on my dad's side was known for this also. I find it helps me to work out a problem. Sometimes it has caused me issues. When I talk out loud while doing something with someone else some people have taken it the wrong way like I'm critising them. Which is not true. I often like to chew on words to make sure they sound right or to process them.

I feel like that's what 99% of my facebook posts are. Then the other 1% is when I make someone mad or they tell me that I was wrong or rude. :banghead:

Sometimes I talk to myself a bit,like when I'm cleaning and organizing my room. not really whole conversations though.

I think I do it as kind of a coping mechanism, a way of organising my brain, sorting out problems and maybe combatting loneliness, as I only do it when I'm alone (unless something really juicy comes up that I can chat about and nobody wants to talk about it!)

When I'm under stress the inner voice leaks out.

"no no that's not right"
"that's stupid"
"oh come on"

Or more creepily "sorry. I didn't mean..." in a moment of anxiety remembering some incident that happened years ago.

Little fragments that must confuse people who hear them.

I at least understand what I mean, most of the time.

Just found I even growl at myself. At some of my thoughts, anyway.

Has anyone noticed that thoughts are a lot like dreams?

I talk to myself all the time, always have. And I laugh at my own jokes too. That is one good thing about have pets - my daughter says "who were you talking to mommy?" and I say "the dog."

I'm doing it right now :D personally I think talking to animals can be a form of talking to yourself, can't it? :)

I do carry out not only monologues, but also, for what I can recall, third member conversations out loud, with same monotonic voice what I believe cold be really disturbing for anyone else to hear. That is highly interesting, as I hardly get to discuss my ideas with anyone else that'll keep up. Entertaining it can be too, but wanting to giggle on a public transportation device's not that great.

Has anyone noticed that thoughts are a lot like dreams?

I'm not that sure what you meant by that, but it's true that own thoughts can always go further than anything that person really can obtain as words. That is why I enjoy it in my world inside my head so much.

I'm not that sure what you meant by that, but it's true that own thoughts can always go further than anything that person really can obtain as words. That is why I enjoy it in my world inside my head so much.

That's what I mean: entering the world inside my head is just like entering the world of dreams each night, except that I have some more control over the former. :)

Also, scientists say the brain is not able to tell the difference between imagined events and real events. They both seem experienced, and the brain will treat them as such. And it makes sense that the person having the thought/experience has to react to it either way.

New Threads

Top Bottom