• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sweet Stuff

SusanLR

Curiosity's Cat
V.I.P Member
I don't have a desire for eating anything very sweet.
Neither do I snack.

If I do eat anything sweet, such as the rare piece of a really good brand
boxed candy or a cordial, I can only eat one piece.
If someone says take another and I have done that to oblige,
it seems to make me sick to my stomach.

Something not so sweet tasting is more appealing.
I don't even like chocolate unless it is the high cocoa percent that is not sweet to taste.

My Grandfather, austistic also, never ate sweets.
He wasn't diabetic, so that wasn't the reason.
You could offer him cakes, pie, candies, etc. Nope, he didn't like them.

I knew a woman with an autistic child years ago who worried because the boy
would not eat fruit.

I know most people love chocolate and other delightful desserts and eat them
through out the day.

Just wondering if this is typical taste for those on the spectrum.
Do you love your sweeties or really don't have a craving for them?

I love natural sweets, like dates and dried figs. I eat dates every day. I also like Indian sweets, made with milk, sugar, pistachio, almonds, and cardamom. I rarely eat chocolate or drink pop, and did go for ages without eating any processed sugar at all. But I've always had a sweet tooth ever since I was a kid. I just make better choices now, usually.

I also don't care for sweets, unless it's a few really dark chocolate covered almonds. I don't drink soda. Sometimes I'll have a Japanese alcoholic beverage called chu hi which is somewhat sweet. But only one. My son on the other hand will eat sweets until he bursts if you'd let him.

I like sweets okay. Chocolate not so much. It's okay, long as it's tempered with something else lol. But I still got a surprising burst of gender euphoria when my enby then-boyfriend accidentally grabbed both a chocolate and vanilla version of a cupcake, and gave me the chocolate one without asking. It was weird, I was like, I should really be offended they didn't ask but it felt really good. I like being treated like a girl. To a point, I mean, I'm still nonbinary. And uh some forms of treatment need to be abolished. But yes, give me the girl clothes, carry me like a princess, tell me I'm pretty and not handsome and I guess chocolate (but in limited quantities please lol it's like bacon for girls, like just because you're getting gendered messages that say you should want it all over everything or you "don't count" or whatever doesn't mean it makes any culinary sense)

Also, cake sucks. Pie is OBVIOUSLY the superior dessert. There is no reason to eat cake unless it has ice cream all over it. Well, carrot cake is tolerable. Okay, fine, I like it. But other than that, I am 100% a pie supporter.

Pie is OBVIOUSLY the superior dessert.
I agree completely, although give me a good, moist banana cake, even better made with ginger, dates, and walnuts too, and I will deny that pie even exists!

Pie is usually all about the crust for me. Few get it right in the UK. America does pie real good.

I mostly like sweet but not fruit (love vegetables). I am adverse to salty tastes. Also meaty taste and anything like mint is very unpleasant to eat

I don't have a sweet tooth, either, and rarely eat any kind of dessert. I do like a little dark chocolate sometimes but it has to be the expensive, high quality kind, not cheap chocolate. I also like oranges and tangerines sometimes as an afternoon snack because I know they are good for me.

I don't have a desire for eating anything very sweet.
Neither do I snack.

If I do eat anything sweet, such as the rare piece of a really good brand
boxed candy or a cordial, I can only eat one piece.
If someone says take another and I have done that to oblige,
it seems to make me sick to my stomach.

Something not so sweet tasting is more appealing.
I don't even like chocolate unless it is the high cocoa percent that is not sweet to taste.

My Grandfather, austistic also, never ate sweets.
He wasn't diabetic, so that wasn't the reason.
You could offer him cakes, pie, candies, etc. Nope, he didn't like them.

I knew a woman with an autistic child years ago who worried because the boy
would not eat fruit.

I know most people love chocolate and other delightful desserts and eat them
through out the day.

Just wondering if this is typical taste for those on the spectrum.
Do you love your sweeties or really don't have a craving for them?
Josh doesn't really eat a lot of sweets or chocolate, he does like gummy bears sometimes. My other son rarely eats sweets either, doesn't like cakes or chocolate. My husband's brother in law has NEVER eaten candy, pies, cakes, or anything sweet in his entire life. I am not on the spectrum but I will eat anything sweet! lol (only Josh is on the spectrum)

I have eaten sweets (incl drinks soft drinks etc... ) all my life and still do BUT i cant take to much as my digestive system dont like it + id say im a periodical eater (ie when i have the crave i eat it get my punishment after and then im done for while again + i cant affoard to much either of course

I like sweets and chocolate. I eat less sweets than I want to as they are really a waste of calories and rather bad for me and my teeth which are possibly as poor as they are due to my childhood sweet eating. Sometimes I am caught in a rebounding series of sweet snack salty snack sweet snack salty snack etc a spiral I might almost say. Life can be hard....:confused: but I usually succeed in distracting myself.

I do not like sweets. I am more of a meat & potatoes sort of a guy. With lots of salt & pepper.

I have serious issues with food and guts and gut microbes and evolutionary glitches that pertain to eating and food so I have no idea whatsoever what I like and don't. I am just lucky I did not starve to death which I almost did.

I like sweets and chocolate. I eat less sweets than I want to as they are really a waste of calories and rather bad for me and my teeth which are possibly as poor as they are due to my childhood sweet eating. Sometimes I am caught in a rebounding series of sweet snack salty snack sweet snack salty snack etc a spiral I might almost say. Life can be hard....:confused: but I usually succeed in distracting myself.
hahaha I can relate to that. If I have something sweet I need something salty. But I eat way too many snacks.

My diet was atrocious throughout my life. Nonstop sweets and snacks every day. Often replacing meals with just binging on processed food.

I'm one of those types who has stayed thin their entire life, even when the foods they eat should be making them overweight.

In the past month I've attempted to address my diet again. It's moving in the right direction. Replaced the unhealthy snack foods and sweets with healthier items.

Whilst it's an improvement, I feel like it's a long term process as I gradually reduce processed food intake more and more. But addressing the snacking was the first step, as I've been snacking throughout the day for most of my life. Often simply eating due to boredom, or because of how food affects dopamine productions.

After quitting alcohol and then caffeine - I knew diet would be next on the agenda.

Ed

I enjoy sweet stuff, and spicy stuff. However, I don't like bitter stuff that much. Bitter is just off-brand spicy to me.

I have a sweet tooth. I have noticed though that my ability to taste finely has dulled the older I've gotten. Now, a lot of times sweet things just taste "sweet" rather than having nuanced flavors like they used to for me.

I love sweets, but not TOO sweet or rich. I'm less into candy and more into baked goods like cookies, brownies and cakes. And for me, chocolate is LIFE. I have to have something chocolate once everyday, whenever possible. Funny thing is, I'm not a fan of Indian sweets and I'm Indian lol.

New Threads

Top Bottom