• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sports you love to do

Sasha22

No surrender
V.I.P Member
Hi, every time something makes me overly anxious, I refer to weightlifting or I go do a couple of pull-ups to remind myself that I can lift myself, lift heavy weights, and carry them around. Running is nice too, especially sprinting.
I wanted to know if anybody here used physical activity to do better in life, or had a dedication to a sport in particular.

I love cycling! I have a vintage Raleigh roadster that I restored and have been riding places. I also like shooting shotguns, riding horseback (not good at that but I am at a barn that teaches English riding and it's pretty cool how precision and care is emphasized in that discipline) and I love walking.

(Most of my outdoor sports are about going places, and shooting is different but still.)

It's probably because I do a little bit of physical labor at my job that I'm not playing ball, but I agree that getting out of the house and doing things is good for you.

I loved powerlifting and I hope I can go back to it (I didn't use any enhancement drugs other than whey and pre-work outs)

I really liked doing track back in highschool and was pretty good at it

Running I liked too but I don't like going out much anymore

I've been using the elliptical trainer and it's ok, I enjoy it, anything that gets my heart pumping. I'm a big fan of cardio

I don't like team sports at all, I don't even watch them on tv because they bore me

I also like shooting shotguns
I love shooting but haven't used shotguns yet, only handguns and a rifle once. I don't think I'd be allowed to use a shotgun indoors at my range. But I really like the precision and the sound.
I don't like team sports at all, I don't even watch them on tv because they bore me
Me neither. I think that's an autistic thing?

Thanks for the replies - they made me super happy :)

I also really like CrossFit - it's very efficient and practical when you do it properly (and with friendly people).

I like personal sports. I've always enjoyed canoeing and kayaking so started training for Solo open canoe whitewater paddling. I have run some of America's classic Class IV drops; swum one when I could not roll. I like cycling and have a recumbent tadpole trike that I enjoy . . . no e-assist for me yet. Then there is diving. I started late so my bottom time amounts to only about 450 hours, but I have training for overhead environments like wrecks and caves. All of this has given me confidence in my abilities. Here is me in my low volume Flashback in Zoom Flume on the Arkansas, through Brown's Canyon, Colorado. This is why the space I am not taking up is filled with air bags.
432a7-1044654893-L.jpg

I'm an outlier, I've never liked sports too much.

I could never keep up with Basketball, or football, etc.

As for the people watching sports, It never made sense to me, Why watch a bunch overpaid people who sweat all day?

I have training for overhead environments like wrecks and caves.
Wow, impressed :) I have to say, caves scare me. Water sports must be a lot of fun though.

I'm an outlier, I've never liked sports too much.

I could never keep up with Basketball, or football, etc.

As for the people watching sports, It never made sense to me, Why watch a bunch overpaid people who sweat all day?
Is it sports you don't like, or team sports? Anytime I have to do sports in a team, I'm just really bad. I can handle team workouts if we're each doing our own thing - and even then, I'm always uncomfortable if I have to adjust to other people's rhythm.

I rarely watch sports too, except if it's an exceptional feat or some very symbolic "can't miss" event, but that happens very rarely.

I was athletic from an early age and used to be heavily into skiing. Cross-country, downhill and snowboard. I still love it but I do it less now. Used to do it all the time.

It can be fun, like the Olympics for example. I watch our national teams during the winter Olympics and it can be intense and interesting. There's something called the 50 kilometer cross-country classical race, that's a lot of fun.

Soccer, walking/running, street hockey, endurance hiking, boating, and horseback riding.

I used to figure skate and do gymnastics, a long time ago lol

My dogs are athletes too, we compete in rally obedience, agility, field trials, dock diving, flyball, and FITdog.

This is probably underrated, but I love badminton. I have such a fun time hitting the puck over the net and the sound it makes is so satisfying. I also like tennis as well. Both are great to participate in.

Hi, every time something makes me overly anxious, I refer to weightlifting or I go do a couple of pull-ups to remind myself that I can lift myself, lift heavy weights, and carry them around. Running is nice too, especially sprinting.
I wanted to know if anybody here used physical activity to do better in life, or had a dedication to a sport in particular.

I have played in the past tennis and squash, table tennis, mini golf, ten pin bowling, pool
I also used to kick the football with my dad and brother as well as play backyard cricket.
I always used to love getting outside with them and if we were bored, we always played table tennis or went outside and played cricket in particular. Even my mum played she might have had bowl or done something or watched and she is the least sporty of us all in terms of ability.
I am not that good either but at least I could hit a cricket ball or table tennis ball back even if I lost to my dad and brother.
I used to be a bit lazy too in sports. But I am not excellent and in terms of running well I always came last. And I did not understand how I was so slow when I thought I was going so fast but everyone else in school was super sporty as well.
I used to do jump rope too and hopscotch sometimes especially in grade 2.
I do not mind sports and if I ever could may have a hit of tennis again or go to the basketball courts and shoot some hoops.
I played hockey once as well.

I have to say, caves scare me. Water sports must be a lot of fun though.
I have combined water sports and caves by diving the flooded caves in the Yucatan. One carries redundant equipment and boyancy control is paramount. The amazing thing there is that at around 60 to 100 feet one reaches the halocline, where fresh water sits atop salt water. The temperature changes as one penetrates the halocline and disturbing that halocline results in schlieren, like when oil on water is disturbed. I was proud of stretching my limits.

Forgot to mention bowling and tennis. I can’t believe I didn’t say bowling, considering how many times I’ve posted on here about going bowling with my friends lol

Swimming, diving, boating, fishing, figure skating, roller skating, yoga, and competitive reading. :)

I used to do long-distance cycling and hard-core XC Mountain Biking in the Rockies, Appalachians, Laurentians and Pennines before my strokes.

When I was younger I spent a lot of time snowmobiling.

I also ran track and field, and studied ballet, tap, and gymnastics.

Cycling :bicyclist: & disc golf ₍⭖⁾⍒ here.
I have turned my old-school spin cycle into an upper body ergometer. ⛮
I also have an old-school rowing machine that I use in its bench press mode.
Shock Press
full

DP BodyTone 300 (in press mode)
I don't use them so much currently because I am dealing with sleep issues right now.

Last edited:
I don't know if it counts, but I love weightlifting, stationary cycling and treadmilling. If I weren't 30+, I'd love to get back into skateboarding (which I mostly stopped when I was ~20), but I can't afford to break bones.

I also want to get better at hula hooping but I don't really have a good practice space, unfortunately. I also don't want to do it in my front yard where neighbors can see me because that's embarrassing, lol.

Thanks for your replies, it's very cool to read.
A few years ago I kind of fell down because everything was just more than I could cope with - kind of like in movies where the contender falls on his knees and braces for the final blow. I think intensifying my workouts plus the autism self-diagnosis contributed to lighting a fire under my b*tt and finding a lot of solutions, one way or another.
Everybody talks about how important it is to exercise, but I think physical activity is still seriously underrated.

I still reminisce over a bicycle ride I used to enjoy in the 80s. Downtown Victoria, BC, is built on a hill. Starting from the south end of the main street, I could accelerate in low gear, but not easily. As the slope eased, I could then accelerate slowly in 2nd, and so on. It took a long time to get into the mid ranges, but then the downhill began, and I could blast out the north side at top speed. Incredibly, the lights were timed to permit this.
I had never had any interest in organized sports or exercise, but dicing with the traffic took my mind off any fatigue, and I discovered the benefits of fitness. Bicycling is also a very rewarding sport for thinkers. An experienced commuter can follow a beginner, keeping the same pace, on HALF the oxygen, even including the constant overhead.

Sports?
Zip, zero, nada.

I enjoy camping, hiking, cycling, canoeing, and sailing, but these are passtimes, not sports to me

New Threads

Top Bottom