• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Some advertizing images make me uncomfortable

More :( the banana one looks fake to me

Attachments

• IMG_4640.jpeg
    IMG_4640.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4082.jpeg
    IMG_4082.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8492.jpeg
    IMG_8492.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8487.jpeg
    IMG_8487.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 37
I feel uncomfortable by this one because the color palette is off. On the shirt, he is grouped near a dead Kenny laying in a cartoonish pool of his own blood. He comes back to life obviously as he’s immortal

Attachments

• IMG_4366.jpeg
    IMG_4366.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 37

This one is pretty annoying. I think it's how fake it looks. And how that fake image is presented as a positive thing. If it was just one of these food items then it wouldn't seem so annoying to me.

That seems like the common trait in all these pictures.

First one isn’t uncomfortable, second one is

Attachments

• IMG_4785.jpeg
    IMG_4785.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4784.jpeg
    IMG_4784.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 38
I find it's more to do with the intent of the ad (the true underlying intent) as vs the outward impression it tries to give (for me). The one's that try to use well established psychological leverages, tend to be the one's that invoke the most incongruity and disturbance.

I find even moderately less (or seemingly less) overtly distasteful ad's can still be most unpleasant to become aware of, sometimes more so because their methods don't jibe with their apparent moral stance - e.g. a charity using disingenuous methods of fund raising. I had to give up watching TV about 20 years ago mostly because of these, though not just that!

At best, for me an advert noticed is a recommendation to avoid that supplier/company! (even at my own loss).
If I want something, it never (knowingly - I'm aware of most subconscious processes with this) comes from an ad, it comes from a need, and when it has, I avoid pretty much any passive information gathering, only do research of my own. e.g. last new PC was about 6 years back. Despite being well versed in PC hardware, and what I was after, and my budget, I spent maybe two/three weeks before even deciding on a supplier. Clearly though our commercial world runs on adverts. there's much more to them than just their appearance and effects. But they are insidious things that seem to have gone from a position of informing, to a position of manipulating. maybe when the choices become so large, most people have little handle on how to choose, so will let their instincts and subconscious decide, and become even more unconsciously externally-motivated. And those that believe they are unaffected by adverts (and so very many people genuinely believe that, which is partly why it works so well :() are the most at risk of being unknowingly affected by it.

IMG_4790.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4793.jpeg
    IMG_4793.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4792.jpeg
    IMG_4792.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4791.jpeg
    IMG_4791.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 29
Paper close ups

Attachments

• IMG_4796.jpeg
    IMG_4796.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4797.jpeg
    IMG_4797.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4798.jpeg
    IMG_4798.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 30
I don't know if this is relevant but I find those commercials irritating where they have very staged, super enhanced Foley sounds. There's one for Lurpak Butter that makes my hair stand on end.

I find staged artificial sound very jarring in general. I think it's used in commercials in particular as a method to evoke the "sensory experience" of a product. But I find it very off putting. Just a montage of sounds turned up unnaturally loud so you can "hear" the rustling of lettuce leaves or asparagus sliding along a chopping board, then chop chop chopping sounds. Yuk!

Last edited:
What about these images do you find disturbing?

It seems like if you could describe in words what is bothersome about them,
that would help.
They’re so up close and I can see the paper detail which makes me feel easy. It feels too unrealistic

I found something that makes me very uncomfortable: my mom using the water droplets emoji despite it having a sensual context
IMG_4952.jpeg

Maybe it's light and shadow details, or their lacking? The ones that you have issue with don't exactly show "dimension" so much, really. That seems to be the constant that I can figure. Just a thought.

New Threads

Top Bottom