• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

So you think you can dance?

Skittlebisquit

Just keep trying, victory brings glory
V.I.P Member
This one is mostly for @DavidS and fellow crafty folk hiding out.
It's a baby loom, made of hard wood and marked "west germany" I think circa 1970 something.

It looks really easy to reproduce. Straight cuts, some dowels, and a few custom parts. It has pivot pins in it. It will produce 6" wide woven cloth.
20210603_184924.jpg

Can you see the heddle set up?
20210603_184932.jpg

What are you supposed to do with a strip woven 6inches wide?

It is a toy, I think.

A guess is the strip could be used to protect your hand when holding sonething hot in the kitchen. Or if it is long enough (3 feet? + or -?) and made from a soft yarn, a scarf.

I think it is a toy too. I am deeply drawn to looms, and weaving. I found it in a trash pile. I could likely reproduce it, but I would need help on three of the parts, I think

Maybe. Hems are usually less wide than that(?)

Since it was made as a toy, perhaps it could make teensy stuff for dollhouses? lol This is not an area I know anything about. Just fun to visualize how the product of such a loom might be useful.

Also I guess someone could sew or crochet a bunch of these strips together to form a “throw” or a pillowcase, or other larger items.

It's just an old fashioned toy i guess. The current item on it was there when I found it, it's about 1.75 inches wide

xoxoxoxoxoxo! This is the kind of thing I love!

I taught my daughter how to weave after I found a giant picture frame by the dumpster. I laced loops of yarn tightly in a row along the frame to create the warp, and then we used yarn to weave in and out for the weft. It was really fun.

You can rotate the top beam and it moves the handle up and down, switches it back and forth between the two. In order to use it I will have to restring it. I'm not willing to do that,
20210603_184924.jpg
yet

107307029125217MTel.jpg

We bought a very similar toy loom for our daughter about 20 years ago, but it is made in Sweden. Still have it stored for her.

It can make cloth tapes for any size and purpose. Someone like me would take the finished piece, fold the width and sew to the border of a garment for fringing.
803CF006-6F3C-4D50-AC0D-159D3237C226.jpeg
50304225-A8EE-4685-B561-92014838E256.jpeg

This is how most ppl would do cloth tape I think, it's a neat video, but you may vomit from the meme music that repeats throughout

Maybe both are used somehow. The little eyelets for the heddle are a bit rusty, I guess I will treat the rust and put it away for (?) It fascinates me. I like looking at it.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom