• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should love be about MONEY?

Mr_Alex

I have noticed that nowadays when it comes to dating a lot of women are after money and I have been dating some women in my hometown which is Hong Kong and a lot of women are money minded and when I travelled with my family to Japan,I have noticed the women in Japan are not always after money when it comes to love.

How many forum members find it as a major deal breaker when they find that their potential date or girlfriend is after money or money minded?

Should love be about MONEY at all?

Hello, Alex.

While I don't think love should involve money, it's only recently in history that people have begun to feel that way. Historically, the parents of a potential bride wanted the husband to be able to pay for the woman's dowry, and from a young age, the women were raised to be homemakers and . Upper-class alliances were also made to secure political power or to preserve a "royal" bloodline (and look at what the latter motivation did to the Habsburgs!).

And people today still think of money, particularly in countries and cultures where women are still expected to be little more than wives and mothers. While I am American, it is my understanding that the old cultural norms in China are still largely expected to be followed, particularly in rural areas with less access to education (especially for girls).

Culturally-bound motivations aside, some people will always have a taste for money (trust me, there are plenty of men and women here in the U.S. who marry for money and status too).

Actually the previous female classmate I used to court isn't money minded. The reason why she rejected me because we're just until friends. I would treat her but not treat me haha, especially that she is cash strapped.

Absolutely not! I have always found it extremely insulting! Not just dating but any relationship if I were being judged on income
I would not even want to know them.

Throughout our history women have needed a man with resources so she wouldn't die of starvation while pregnant with a partially developed baby inside of her. Try hunting or foraging when heavily pregnant...

So yeah, it's instinct. The man has to provide. Maybe not now, with more women in careers.. but to be honest it seems more logical to have the main as a provider. Pregnancy takes 9 months, then there's breast feeding and raising the kid. A woman may choose to dump the baby in day care and not breast feed it but that's not really desirable... So yes they need a man with money(resources).

I'm saying all this as a dude who has never worked and has no moneyz. :(

Throughout our history women have needed a man with resources so she wouldn't die of starvation while pregnant with a partially developed baby inside of her. Try hunting or foraging when heavily pregnant...

So yeah, it's instinct. The man has to provide. Maybe not now, with more women in careers.. but to be honest it seems more logical to have the main as a provider. Pregnancy takes 9 months, then there's breast feeding and raising the kid. A woman may choose to dump the baby in day care and not breast feed it but that's not really desirable... So yes they need a man with money(resources).

I guess in a sense this is true...

But we're forgetting one thing here; it's not love that is about money, in history. It's, moreso "common sense". Humanity as a race wants to survive and it seems that it's the most viable way to start a family. Especially in the past. Nowadays, people live their lives alone AND happy and have no desire to procreate and preserve the human race.

I often wonder if this entire notion of starting a family is outdated, since this concept seems to heavily conflict with a lot of things in contemporary society. I mean; people often can't make ends meet on their own, thus they need to both get a job. Some people don't have the finances to raise a child. But a lot of people still start a family because... that's what "everyone" does. I could argue how marriage is an outdated concept to some, but I'll leave that for what it is right now.

I think, if you're going resources, and purely that, then yes... it might come down to women getting involved with men for money. But with a lot of countries having some kind of social security (at least a lot of western countries; quite sure some members are from countries are left behind) the drive to get together and "love" someone for the fact that he has money seems faulty reasoning. What one can argue is that some people just want more luxury than what they "deserve". Some people just want to adhere to that ideal of being rich and owning stuff (materialism and capitalism go hand in hand here) and some people just can't seem to get it right and end up in such a privileged position themselves and thus they'll hook up with some rich guy, whom, at times seems like he's in full control to what the female does and wears all the time. But apparently people settle with this kind of... well, I guess "slavery". They can give it up, but the wealth is too much to pass up on.

So you can wonder yourself, how exactly is "love" involved here, opposed to taking something to an advantage. "This person likes me and has money... I can deal with this person on a daily basis, I should hook up with him/her". Some people will clearly go out of their way and rather date or marry some wealthy guy with different principles and values or even unattractive, just to be around the money, not the person.

As for myself... and my relationship (and any others in the past). I'm broke mostly, so anyone in it for the money will pull a short straw. But in general I'm quite open about my financial status, thus people in it for the money wont spend a lot of time with me in general. The times money was an issue in relationships was mostly a "I don't want to worry on a daily basis if there's food on the table or a collection agency coming at the door". That's more common sense I guess. No one wants to spend nights tossing and turning over financial worries. But then again; I don't know if I would want to date someone who would depend on the money I make (or get through social security). Nor do I know I'd want to date someone in debts so big he/she can't get out of it. I'm not talking about a monthly payment for a loan... some people have such high debts, that they couldn't even pay them off if they'd sell their kidneys.

It's funny though, since when I look at my parents. My mom has zero income. My dad supports her. If my dad would die, my mom would have a slight problem going on and had to figure out how to get money. She's nearing retirement age, uses a walker to get around, thus employment isn't in the cards for her... and clearly relying on family (which would probably be me) isn't an option, since I'm dependent on below minimum wage income myself. However, my mom had jobs in the past, and she didn't really marry my dad for the money. My dad dropped out of high school, thus he got jobs in contruction amongst other things. My parents used to be the life of the party, going to bars a lot when they were younger, so in that regard I guess my mom got together with him over a mutual interested to get hammered as well as providing some security for her since she divorced before due to domestic abuse amongst other things.

This is my personal experience in NZ and Hong Kong as well,I have found some women in NZ and Hong Kong to be money minded and qualification/status minded,both are a major deal breakers or enough to put me off from furthering a relationship with the lady that I want to date and for me I decided to try Japan at the suggestion of a friend who lives in Wellington and they tell me I am well suited for a lady in Japan

I don't think country of origin should make or break the deal, but I understand your frustration if you've come across money-minded women more frequently. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can find someone right under your nose as easily as you can by looking elsewhere. :)

NZ's economic and unemployment situation is a major contributing factor to some of the women acting as money minded,not far from my house in Lower Hutt there used to be a wool/cotton mill well that closed and a majority of the staff was women and some have since been on the Benefit line and suffice to say on the Unemployment Benefit,its peanuts per week and I can see why people in NZ can be money minded

Absolutely not! I have always found it extremely insulting! Not just dating but any relationship if I were being judged on income
I would not even want to know them.

How about during the dating stage, her friends are asking them to treat you more than the one you are courting??? :furious:

I usually ask the girl not to include them especially that in the Philippines, before you gain approval, you must treat the girl's friends haha

If you are referring to genuine money-grubbing gold-diggers, these women are NOT in love with the guys that they target: they are in love with these men's bank balances, yachts, prestige & credit cards. The guy could drop dead, for all they care (so long as THEY inherit the estate!). People like this (male or female) who pretend that they are anything more than greedy parasites are deceiving themselves. One such women wrote a best-seller 'how to' manual for wanna-be gold diggers!

Money and income have to be considered when it comes to a serious relationship since, as a couple, you have to live somewhere (preferably NOT a trailer or a ghetto apartment). If a couple plans to have kids, they cost a fortune & deserve to not be born into dire poverty due to their parent's desperate situation (or selfishness). If one partner comes into the relationship eye-ball deep into debt, this can seriously affect the other partner. Aside from normal fiscal responsibility & accountability, money & love are best kept in completely separate accounts!

I would not pretend to love a guy for his money, however, if I genuinely loved a guy, for his own sake, and wanted to start a family with me, money would be a consideration just because it would be pragmatically necessary. He wouldn't have to have a lot, we would just have to be able to support ourselves, even if that meant living very frugally.

It is either marrying for love OR money but not both. if you truly love someone, it should not matter if they have money. My grandpa had told my mom to marry for money instead of love and she wishes she had done that. I would rather marry someone with money then to marry for love. I have been hurt too many times and I don't want to love a man any more. I would rather just find someone with some things in common with money that I could tolerate. I am so sick of being broke all the time. I don't want to broke my entire life and I have very little hope that anything will change no matter what "optimism" Nolan has about things changing. He can't change the way I feel about this.

Men want sex, women want money. We debated this on E.Harmony/Advice, Yahoo Dating groups & lots dating FORUMs. Anything else SAID is ********. But it's fun to watch em color it in all kinds of PC language... ;) Feminists freak out it shouldn't be about living arrangements. But in reality per the "new" feminists IT IS about living arrangements [MONEY.] Every real man knows what I mean. Every woman denies the Sun Shines... ;) But how many feminists do you know have married a homeless man? Right...exactly...

Shalom. This message is accepted by me & I'm Jewish.

I have noticed that nowadays when it comes to dating a lot of women are after money and I have been dating some women in my hometown which is Hong Kong and a lot of women are money minded and when I travelled with my family to Japan,I have noticed the women in Japan are not always after money when it comes to love.

How many forum members find it as a major deal breaker when they find that their potential date or girlfriend is after money or money minded?

Should love be about MONEY at all?

Last edited:
Avoid women who care more about money than the HUMAN BEING they are thinking of marrying.

[edited in] and Women avoid men who hurt/abuse you...

Last edited:
Stop that! I'm in a bad mood and you are making me laugh! "Oh bother..." True many working & poor class women have fallen in love and married their working class/poor man. Oh krikey, I have lost this argument...to true love...give me another honey cookie Winnie...

Luckily my name is not Winnie the Pooh...

New Threads

Top Bottom