• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should love be about MONEY?

This is such an important subject for me! I have been subjected to endless ridicule from my coworkers and friends both, but I will not budge on my beliefs regarding this topic. For me to get married, my husband would have to make at least the same income that I make or more. It doesn't matter to me what job he does (even if he has to have more than one job - I greatly respect someone who is willing to work hard), I just know that I would eventually be resentful if I was the main breadwinner. I'm a realist and I know that the #1 reason for divorce is money problems. People don't want to be seen as shallow individuals and materialistic, but money controls everything and makes life a lot easier. My other reasoning for believing this way about money, is that if I ever got pregnant I want to be able to not worry about if money will be coming in if I were to have complications and I would really like to have the choice of being able to stay at home with my child for the first 4-5 yrs. From what I've read about psychology (guys please correct me if I'm wrong), men want to be the providers of their family - it gives them purpose in life and men like to feel needed and important. Am I wrong? I also believe in both partners pulling their own weight not just in income, but also where housework and children are concerned. They must also devote the same amount of time to each other and the relationship - marriages tend to go south because women tend to spend too much of their time with the children (not a bad thing necessarily), but the marriage has to come first and filter down to the children. I also want to provide my child with the best of things and this requires money. I don't expect to be rich, but I want to have a decent income for my family (if I were to ever get married, that is).

OMG no! This crappy world will force people who love each other to waste enough time worrying, arguing, and spending time apart because of filthy lucre. Why would anyone set out to make it a bigger deal than it unfortunately has to be? Run, don't walk away from any materialistic woman. It's guaranteed misery.

There is nothing wrong with owning property, even being wealthy. The thing is, how important is it to you? What are you willing to suffer and inflict on others to gain money and things?

Money is the strangest thing. Not having any will make you miserable, but no amount of it can make you happy.

Last edited:
Run, don't walk away from any materialistic woman. It's guaranteed misery.

Minor correction: I think you mean to say materialistic person. And for what it's worth, I think most people can be educated about the dangers of coveting money. Running away from the issue, either figuratively or literally, doesn't really solve anything.

One thing for sure, rich or poor I'd think bitterness is something you don't want to bring to any fledgling romance.

This is such an important subject for me! I have been subjected to endless ridicule from my coworkers and friends both, but I will not budge on my beliefs regarding this topic. For me to get married, my husband would have to make at least the same income that I make or more. It doesn't matter to me what job he does (even if he has to have more than one job - I greatly respect someone who is willing to work hard), I just know that I would eventually be resentful if I was the main breadwinner. I'm a realist and I know that the #1 reason for divorce is money problems. People don't want to be seen as shallow individuals and materialistic, but money controls everything and makes life a lot easier. My other reasoning for believing this way about money, is that if I ever got pregnant I want to be able to not worry about if money will be coming in if I were to have complications and I would really like to have the choice of being able to stay at home with my child for the first 4-5 yrs. From what I've read about psychology (guys please correct me if I'm wrong), men want to be the providers of their family - it gives them purpose in life and men like to feel needed and important. Am I wrong? I also believe in both partners pulling their own weight not just in income, but also where housework and children are concerned. They must also devote the same amount of time to each other and the relationship - marriages tend to go south because women tend to spend too much of their time with the children (not a bad thing necessarily), but the marriage has to come first and filter down to the children. I also want to provide my child with the best of things and this requires money. I don't expect to be rich, but I want to have a decent income for my family (if I were to ever get married, that is).

And women wonder why men don't want to get married!! ;)

Sorry, but I know what you are saying here, and I agree. Men want to be the main earners. No income, no self respect, no chance of a decent relationship. I speak from experience here! It is very, VERY, hard to be an adult male with no money or job prospects. It isn't through laziness though, and I do disagree about wanting to prove to a woman how hard I could work. Money is the means of measuring success. Well, it is if you look at the real world. I work hard (aspie brain on hyperdrive level) but it has never translated into money. I have given up on the idea of having kids primarily because of the lack of good employment in the UK anymore. It's just not possible for me to realistically think I could provide for a family for 20 years.

So, love isn't about money, but a successful relationship is. :(

How does everyone feel when the role is reversed and the man needs a woman to make a decent income so it's not all on his shoulders?
No matter what society thinks it's just as unfair to him also. My marriage failed in the long run because my ex
was not willing to do her part to help. I would have no problem with a wife making more than me since I know my income
will always be limited. I would be proud of her!

Last edited:
How does everyone feel when the role is reversed and the man needs a woman to make a decent income so it's not all on his shoulders?
No matter what society thinks it's just as unfair to him also.

I know two guys (both in their early 60s) laid off from the same employer who have been unemployed for nearly three years now. Both have wives gainfully employed, so they haven't gone under in bad times. They're lucky to have such wives and they know it.

I know two guys (both in their early 60s) laid off from the same employer who have been unemployed for nearly three years now. Both have wives gainfully employed, so they haven't gone under in bad times. They're lucky to have such wives and they know it.
Ultimately the burden should be equally shared if my wife made more than me I would just do more at home to help her succeed!
Neither partner should ever feel forced to be the bread winner it should not be a contest.

Nowadays, especially in the US' tanked economy, many women became the main 'bread-winners'. In many families, if both partners are fine with it & the guy doesn't get his ego twisted into a bunch & the woman does not become arrogant & castrating, it can work! I know of a couple here where the wife is a doctor & the husband is a stay-at-home dad with their 3 kids. It is working out well for them since he really is an excellent father & she has a busy practice.

I think what needs to happen is that, somehow, we need to reconsider (& SCRAP!) rigid sociologically based gender roles. Why does being a man at home with kids magically diminish 'manhood' (what: does it cause testicular shrinkage?!?). 'Traditional' roles were unsatisfying for both men & women. They left the overwhelming majority of men, who were paid low salaries by the hour, with tremendous responsibility for an ever-growing family BUT an income that did not increase proportionately (remember: there was no birth control). They left women disenfranchised, infantalized, marginalized & reduced to dependent baby-machines. Although the word 'tradition' conjures up positive images of stability & continuity for many, when examined under the cold light of reality, it did a great disservice to many.

Traditionalism enshrined rigid sex roles, rigid (& grossly unequal) gender roles, excluded sexual diversity, promoted racism & a host of other intolerant attitudes that stymied the progress of entire societies.

Those who refer to money as 'the root of all evil' or 'filthy lucre' are typically those who did not grow up with much of it & do not have any now. It is a socially acceptable prejudice against those whom they have never really met, gotten to know & understand & cannot relate to...so they make generalizations & stereotypes. Filthy rich is one such remark that people bandy about readily. Imagine casually making a remark about 'the dirt poor'? Unacceptable. After the mortgage meltdown & bail-outs in the US, an 'anti 1%' attitude took root. Suddenly, all wealthy people became evil, greedy psychopaths almost overnight! Beneath that 1%, allegedly, are the 99% who are down-trodden by these rich villains. What a crock! Beneath that 1% are many other distinct categories of high income earners.

Money does not make you corrupt & unethical unless you were corrupt & unethical in the first place. If, as a poor person, you were a conniving, bullying little $#!T. Wealth will make you a rich conniving, bullying little $#!T. All that changes is the scale & scope of your reach. Many wealthy people donate the bulk of their vast fortunes to charities (Bill Gates & Warren Buffet). If you are a shopaholic who cannot manage a small income & you live beyond your means putting frivolous items on layaway & you accrete unsecured debt, if you get millions, you'll be that person with heaps of stupid items (gold-plated toilet, gemstone encrusted collar for your dog...).

Many people who were raised in poverty go bananas with the spending when they suddenly get money. Many so-called celebrities are like this. Think of all the rappers, sports starts & other entertainer-types (Oprah) who go stuff-happy. It is almost like they are fulfilling that childhood dream from when they had so little,"One day when I'm rich, I'll have_________ (300 pair of Nikes, 250 designer purses, a diamond as big as Wisconsin...). People who inherit their wealth (NOT celebrity kids!) or who were raised in the upper middle class & then become rich do not do this. THAT is why it is called 'nouveau riche'.

Looking down on richer people & making snarky remarks about wealth will not add a single digit to one's own bottom line. It also is a form of snobbishness peculiar to working/lower middle class people, many of whom are resentful of their own circumstances. THere is also some jealousy/envy evident there too. I have a relative like this. He dropped out of college, never accomplished anything, drank & partied, spent like Rockefeller on a Burger King budget (broke & in debt). He had every opportunity, but in his case, he was selfish & lazy. Now, with 2 kids & an unskilled labour job, he delights in anything that slings mud at more successful people. ANYTHING to draw the eye away from his own mediocrity. This guy does not have Asperger's or any mitigating factor: he was just selfish, lazy & immature. His incredible self-righteousness & judgmental attitude render him one of the snootiest people I've ever encountered.

What money does for you is gives you a tremendous amount of control over your time, your life & your options. You can even create options & not have to choose from amongst those dictated by society or any other body. IF you are an out of control or degenerate person (think Mayor Ford of Toronto, Michael Jackson etc.) you will crash & burn & screw all up. IF you have unclear boundaries & only a vague notion of who you are & what you want & what you value, money will render your boundaries even more porous & you will be subject to all kinds of influences you are better off without. Instead of, maybe, smoking 1 joint too many, you will snort veritable heaps of cocaine!

Money acts as a magnifying glass: it just makes you more of who & whatever it was you already were.

New Threads

Top Bottom