• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory overload, dreaming, or hallucination

Rasputin

ASD / Aspie
V.I.P Member
This is something I noticed last night. I don' know if anyone else has experienced it, but thought I would ask.

I woke up in the middle of the night as I always do, but for about three minutes heard this loud amplified sound that seemed to be electromechanical in nature. It sounded like steel pendulum balls swinging and striking rapidly in a constant rythmic fashion. After a few minutes the volume began to decrease until it faded away. I then got up around 3:30 AM to inspect the house, and found nothing unusual.

I asked my wife if she heard anything, but she didn't. I sometimes hear electrical sounds that others do not hear. I don't know if an inaudible sound was somehow isolated and amplified, if I was dreaming, or if I was hallucinating.

Has anyone else experienced this. I have a chronic insomnia problem and do not take any drugs that would cause hallucinations. I don't know if the sound I heard was real or dreamed while in a semi-conscious state. Does this sound like something ASD related that I should discuss with my doctor?

When I was younger and spent a long time in the bathroom, I swear there was some ringing noise happening. Now that I have a smartphone, I often play youtube videos or a show while there. Not sure if it's the same thing you are describing. Maybe some calming music at night would help.

I've never heard anything like that, but I hear a lot of other sounds most can't. It's hard to say if it was a dream, something real or a hallucination really.

My first guess would be you were still dreaming as you transitioned from sleep to wakefulness. I have had similar experiences on occasion and as far as I could tell it always was that.

I had severe chronical sleeping disorders all my life and like you im on NO meds

And like you i often hear sounds others dont or that dont exist (last time last night) so yeah it does happen . and i was still wide awake i should add

I don't think any of these apply to what I experienced. I also think it was real, because I was awake and tried to wake up my wife.

I live in a ranch style townhouse with three adjoining units. It is supposed to be soundproof, but I have a neighbor with a pendulum grandfather clock. Normally one would not hear anything, but as I mention I hear electrical sounds that other people do not hear. It's like my brain locked onto this pendulum sound from my neighbors clock, and the sound was amplified. I already sleep with a mask to block out light; I guess.I will have to start wearing earbuds too.

Rather then sleeping with ear pluggs which i STRONGLY would Dissuade from EVER on the count on you NEED to be able to hear if something is happening around you (incl fire larm ,breaking, ,acident, etc.... ) try to have a small radio by youre side on LOW level and again NO ear phones (i have it since MANY years ) i also wear sleeping mask btw.

I had severe chronical sleeping disorders all my life and like you im on NO meds

And like you i often hear sounds others dont or that dont exist (last time last night) so yeah it does happen . and i was still wide awake i should add

I have unusually sensitive hearing, which is why I do not handle large family gatherings well. I can not hear when people talk to me because I hear all nearby conversations taking place at the same time. At work I sit two aisles away from anyone else to avoid distractions.

I have unusually sensitive hearing, which is why I do not handle large family gatherings well. I can not hear when people talk to me because I hear all conversation taking place at the same time. At work I sit two aisles away from anyone else to avoid distractions.

A well lucklily i havent gotten that one just a MEGA load of all else Tics . Good and sensitive (less then you obviesly ) hearing yes i have that tho.

that sounds terrible i have to say . Im the same with to much noice or talking around me .same with the family or crowd gatherings massive oveloading (in my case more from ADHD tho but also added from my ASD )

Sounds like what likely amounts to a hypnopompic hallucination. A relatively common issue of insomnia, but not autism.

That point where one is slowly coming out of REM (Rapid Eye Movement) deep sleep and beginning to acknowledge the conscious world. Sometimes this transition can be even more disconcerting as it may involve sleep paralysis and a loss of the sense of time as one slowly awakens, where they are temporarily unable to distinguish the fantasies of one's dream from the reality of awakening.

While this experience can be anything from disconcerting to outright frightening, it's ultimately no big deal. Something I've experienced a number of times at points in my life where I was dealing with varying amounts of insomnia.

Hypnopompic - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Last edited:
This sounds like hypnagogic hallucination to me. I experience this sometimes....There's also something called, I think, "exploding head syndrome" where people hear explosions etc when they're half awake.

I hallucinate flying spiders in such a state LOL.

I also hear sounds that others don't hear. But those are real sounds and not "half asleep weird stuff" sounds.

Rather then sleeping with ear pluggs which i STRONGLY would Dissuade from EVER on the count on you NEED to be able to hear if something is happening around you (incl fire larm ,breaking, ,acident, etc.... ) try to have a small radio by youre side on LOW level and again NO ear phones (i have it since MANY years ) i also wear sleeping mask btw.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will see if we have a small radio I can use to drown out the sound.

This sounds like hypnagogic hallucination to me. I experience this sometimes....There's also something called, I think, "exploding head syndrome" where people hear explosions etc when they're half awake.

I hallucinate flying spiders in such a state LOL.

I also hear sounds that others don't hear. But those are real sounds and not "half asleep weird stuff" sounds.

I guess I can not rule out hallucinations. I never heard of what you described.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will see if we have a small radio I can use to drown out the sound.

I cant even sleep without it on my self and what the radio do is to drain out all other possible sounds. and youre wellcome :)

One of the last most vivid hypnopompic hallucinations I had was where I was caught in sleep paralysis while being chased by dogs.

What was really happening was that my cousins two dogs were right outside my bedroom door barking and playing with each other. But my mind was locked in this weird transition state where it took time to truly awaken and distinguish reality from fantasy. Moments of terror until I was completely awake, only to chuckle at what was really happening in the real world rather than only my mind. ;)

Of course for one to go from consciousness to REM sleep and experience such a hallucination is more vivid, which is called a hypnogogic hallucination. Much more intense given that you are going further into a dream state rather than awakening from it.

I guess I can not rule out hallucinations. I never heard of what you described.

Hallucinations is also a part of insomnia i belive and most defenetly in my case ADHD.

I have had the NOT so pleasant experince of waking up in the middle of the night with snakes / rats in my bed (and im not even closely afraid of either of them BUT in bed at night NOT so good ) as well as people or if you want to call it that ghosts /spirits (havent a clue if im able to see or feel them BUT we do have it in the family and i have fealt "something " before :confused:

One of the last most vivid hypnopompic hallucinations I had was where I was caught in sleep paralysis while being chased by dogs.

What was really happening was that my cousins two dogs were right outside my bedroom door barking and playing with each other. But my mind was locked in this weird transition state where it took time to truly awaken and distinguish reality from fantasy. Moments of terror until I was completely awake, only to chuckle at what was really happening in the real world rather than only my mind. ;)

Of course for one to go from consciousness to REM sleep and experience such a hallucination is more vivid, which is called a hypnogogic hallucination. Much more intense given that you are going further into a dream state rather than awakening from it.

What I experienced was vivid and distinct. So, it could have been hypnogogic.

Hallucinations is also a part of insomnia i belive and most defenetly in my case ADHD.

I have had the NOT so pleasant experince of waking up in the middle of the night with snakes / rats in my bed (and im not even closely afraid of either of them BUT in bed at night NOT so good ) as well as people or if you want to call it that ghosts /spirits (havent a clue if im able to see or feel them BUT we do have it in the family and i have fealt "something " before :confused:

When people have described what they thought might amount to a genuine paranormal experience, my first question is always pretty basic. Whether or not this occurred while the person was in a complete state of consciousness, or in the process of sleep or relaxation, usually in bed.

Hallucinations in various stages of sleep or relaxation are quite common and relative to sleep disturbances compared to vivid paranormal experiences encountered in the daylight hours while being totally awake and alert.

New Threads

Top Bottom