• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory overload, dreaming, or hallucination

What I experienced was vivid and distinct. So, it could have been hypnogogic.

Do you mean when you were transitioning from REM sleep to consciousness, or from consciousness to REM sleep? The former is hypnopompic, the latter is hypnogogic.

I'd think in most instances that it's a hypnopompic hallucination that can be the most vivid, simply because outside- and very real sensory issues can accompany and amplify one's dream state. Also that it's a state where one is far more apt to recall the dream as they reenter a conscious state in real time.

In hypnogogic hallucination, one is losing awareness of real-world sensory concerns into their own mind. It might be vivid, but that's assuming that at a later time one can even recall the dream itself, as opposed to abruptly coming out of a dream.

Last edited:
="Judge, post: 676537, member: 2593"]When people have described what they thought might amount to a genuine paranormal experience, my first question is always pretty basic. Whether or not this occurred while the person was in a complete state of consciousness, or in the process of sleep or relaxation, usually in bed.

" Both awake day and night as well as you so accurately say when waking up all of the sudden Judge "

Hallucinations in various stages of sleep or relaxation are quite common and relative to sleep disturbances compared to vivid paranormal experiences encountered in the daylight hours while being totally awake and alert.

" I agree 101 % and this is also why i add i get most of mien from my ADHD and in this its VERY common with weird dreams as well as TERIBLE nightmares and waking up from them ( in my case often reel persons invoulved dead or alive and in the worst tragical or scary dreams you can possibly imagine "

" I agree 101 % and this is also why i add i get most of mien from my ADHD and in this its VERY common with weird dreams as well as TERIBLE nightmares and waking up from them ( in my case often reel persons invoulved dead or alive and in the worst tragical or scary dreams you can possibly imagine "

Nightmares are really in a different category given that they occur in REM sleep and can be sustained over time compared to a hypnopompic or hypnogogic hallucination that usually amounts to occurring over a short duration of time in comparison.

Though dream states also offer the possibility of paranormal "visitations". Something I've experienced as well, but that I can only recall them in part and never in whole.

Do you mean when you were transitioning from REM sleep to consciousness, or from consciousness to REM sleep? The former is hypnopompic, the latter is hypnogogic.

I'd think in most instances that it's a hypnopompic hallucination that can be the most vivid, simply because outside- and very real sensory issues can accompany and amplify one's dream state. Also that it's a state where one is far more apt to recall the dream as they reenter a conscious state in real time.

In hypnogogic hallucination, one is losing awareness of real-world sensory concerns into their own mind. It might be vivid, but that's assuming that at a later time one can even recall the dream itself, as opposed to abruptly coming out of a dream.

It was hypnopompic. I was confused earlier.

I have also sleepwalked in the past, and recalled waking up one time while trying to brew coffee. The only problem is I forgot to put coffee in the Brew basket.

="Judge, post: 676542, member: 2593"]Nightmares are really in a different category given that they occur in REM sleep and can be sustained over time compared to a hypnopompic or hypnogogic hallucination that usually amounts to occurring over a short duration of time in comparison.

Corect and when you have ADHD youre brain is pretty much never sleeping as it should (i talked to docs about this who explained this when i was young) so its always mixing and mess with youre head when you as you say are in Rem sleep. sadly in my case i also get them when im in shorter after sleep and thats usely when the worst occure and i can wake up with adrenalin on full speed .And takes me a while to calm down again

Though dream states also offer the possibility of paranormal "visitations". Something I've experienced as well, but that I can only recall them in part and never in whole

" You can count youre self lucky you dont have my nightmares Judge its like the WORST EVER scary movies is like a fairytale compared to it with reel feelings (ie dispare,sadness , personal dramas in the worst possible way ) And when i was little it was ghosts ,monsters etc.... (i would take that back in a heartbeat compared to this i get now "

I have also sleepwalked in the past, and recalled waking up one time while trying to brew coffee. The only problem is I forgot to put coffee in the Brew basket.

Sleepwalking....indeed another fascinating subject. Where people cannot seem to differentiate between being in the conscious world in whole or in part. Something I've personally witnessed, but not experienced quite in the same way. My girlfriend's daughter would sleepwalk, usually looking for the bathroom and never finding it.

In select instances of autistic shutdowns I seem to lose recollection of my time and circumstances, but I'd think that's a different dynamic than sleepwalking. - Maybe? :confused:

Been there done that as well since i was little (less as i got older thank god ) now i "just " tare the bed apart every night :rolleyes: (ie VERY active in my sleep )

Last edited:
" You can count youre self lucky you dont have my nightmares Judge its like the WORST EVER scary movies is like a fairytale compared to it with reel feelings (ie dispare,sadness , personal dramas in the worst possible way ) And when i was little it was ghosts ,monsters etc.... (i would take that back in a heartbeat compared to this i get now "

I suppose that depends on what scares one to begin with. I don't normally experience nightmares, so much as what I refer to as "fear of failure" scenarios. Usually being in a classroom situation, late for a test or unable to find the classroom. Class Freudian stuff.

Ghosts? That's another matter. All of my solicited and unsolicited paranormal experiences were while completely conscious. Not hallucinations. Just eyewitness to phenomena that most people never see or believe. Some even involving a number of fellow witnesses.

Last edited:
It seems I have a number of sleep related issues that I have never discussed with a doctor. At this point I'm not sure it would be I'm my best interest, as I do not want to be further medicated.

I was diagnosed with both ASD and General Anxiety Disorder. Maybe the sleep issues are associated with Anxiety? I am not currently taking anything for anxiety. Maybe I should mention these issues in that context?

I was diagnosed with both ASD and General Anxiety Disorder. Maybe the sleep issues are associated with Anxiety? I not currently taking anything for anxiety. Maybe I should mention these issues in that context?

I would, absolutely. ;)

My bad dreams are almost always associated with anxiety issues like "fear of failure". Something ever pervasive whether in the front or back of my mind. :oops:

I would, absolutely. ;)

My bad dreams are almost always associated with anxiety issues like "fear of failure"
. Something ever pervasive whether in the front or back of my mind. :oops:

Thanks to all of you, especially @Judge and @Sarah S. I will follow the advice you have given.

Last edited:
Has someone next door got a chair lift? On their stairs I mean...

Relative to sleepwalking? I've heard of people severely injuring themselves over unconsciously leaving one's home. Taking a step where there were no steps...:eek:

Relative to sleepwalking? I've heard of people severely injuring themselves over unconsciously leaving one's home. Taking a step where there were no steps...:eek:

Stair lifts make the kind of noise that was described.

I would, absolutely. ;)

My bad dreams are almost always associated with anxiety issues like "fear of failure". Something ever pervasive whether in the front or back of my mind. :oops:

Fear of failure is always present, which probably is why I have rarely failed at anything.

Fear of failure is always present, which probably is why I have rarely failed St snything.

My story as well. Even sillier to consider dreams involving classroom situations that I haven't been enrolled in since more than 25 years ago. Imagine dreaming over the stress of getting a degree or vocational certification that you've already obtained many years ago. :rolleyes:

Anxiety up the kazoo. :oops:

My story as well. Even sillier to consider dreams involving classroom situations that I haven't been enrolled in since more than 25 years ago. Imagine dreaming over the stress of getting a degree that you've already obtained many years ago. :rolleyes:

Anxiety up the kazoo. :oops:

Some of my best work has been done while sleeping under the influence of anxiety. True story - I dreamed a three dimensional model with nine independent variables and four moderating variables which formed the basis for my doctoral dissertation proposal. The proposal was approved, and the dissertation was completed within a year.

Some of my best work has been done while sleeping under the influence of anxiety. True story - I dreamed a three dimensional model with nine independent variables and four moderating variables which formed the basis for my doctoral dissertation proposal. The proposal was approved, and the dissertation was completed within a year.

Great that you could recollect a dream to such a degree. :cool:

="Judge, post: 676555, member: 2593"]I suppose that depends on what scares one to begin with. I don't normally experience nightmares, so much as what I refer to as "fear of failure" scenarios. Usually being in a classroom situation, late for a test or unable to find the classroom. Class Freudian stuff.

" Yeah i wish those were the case in my case but as i said no its mixing in my family members dead or alive in HORIBLE tragick and SEVERE dramas with REEL feelings"

Ghosts? That's another matter. All of my solicited and unsolicited paranormal experiences were while completely conscious. Not hallucinations. Just eyewitness to phenomena that most people never see or believe. Some even involving a number of fellow witnesses.

" Oh im know im not hallucination them every time night time yes but i also fealt and heard when wide awake. I belive and have always done so in the "spirit" world, my aunt for example is clearvoidant (lord i hope i spelld this right i mean those able to since and feel the " spirit" side) but when the evidence got to good so to say i had to stop that intrest as i was scared out of my mind (and NO i dont even have never been able to watch horror movies either) "

New Threads

Top Bottom