• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Redefining Aspergers as Lv. 1 Autism

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
I’ve mentioned before on a previous thread that I’m not a fan of Aspergers being redefined as Lv. 1 Autism for a variety reasons, including the simple fact that it opens the door to very easy misunderstandings by frankly anyone of any neurological wiring or what have you.

What are your thoughts on this? I imagine that people with Lv. 2 Autism and the like have their own views and opinions.

Anything to do with "You are HFA! and YOU are LFA" is insane. HFA is always considered easier to handle than a zit or a bit of mild diarrhea. When in reality, I know LFAs who do better than I do! It's just a way to exclude people from services.

Well, I feel something was lost when the separate category for Asperger's got merged into autism spectrum disorder. To my mind, there is a qualitative difference in the "little professor" thing.

The changes in DSM5 were to address symptoms instead of the broad brushstroke that Asperger's painted.
It's a positive thing if one needs help, not a negative one at all.

You honestly don't have to share your status with anyone outside of your medical professionals.

I think my opinion would be that normal everyday NTs are not going to understand what it means to be AS-1, AS-2, Aspergers, HFA, LFA, no matter what you call it.

Anything to do with "You are HFA! and YOU are LFA" is insane. HFA is always considered easier to handle than a zit or a bit of mild diarrhea. When in reality, I know LFAs who do better than I do! It's just a way to exclude people from services.

Well, I feel something was lost when the separate category for Asperger's got merged into autism spectrum disorder. To my mind, there is a qualitative difference in the "little professor" thing.

The changes in DSM5 were to address symptoms instead of the broad brushstroke that Asperger's painted.
It sounds like this has a lot to do with utilitarianism.

HFA & LFA were based on cognitive levels (IQ).

DSM5's severity levels 1-3 are based on how much support the person needs regardless of their IQ. That is a subtle, but important, difference.

In my own family,
  • ASD1s can benefit from social skills coaching, but can survive otherwise.
  • ASD2s are required by Social Security to have a representative payee so their bills will be paid. They have full autonomy otherwise.
  • ASD3s are required by the court to have a guardianship. She is oblivious to self-care & money, etc. Apart from food, she has no materialistic desires.
Making autism a spectrum, instead of separate diagnoses, accommodates those cases better that didn't fit neatly into Aspergers or [Kanners] autism. In DSM5-speak, they would be ASD1.x .

Last edited:
It's a positive thing if one needs help, not a negative one at all.

You honestly don't have to share your status with anyone outside of your medical professionals.
Well in regards to treatment I guess, but [dang it! I forgot what I was planning on originally saying here!] Aspergers is part of who I am, I don’t think it should be reduced down to symptoms, and besides wouldn’t it help to know how a person operates?

That being said, I do mask myself quite a bit; I’ve only twice I think, come out as that to people. I’d be lying if I said I was afraid of being judged and all that, but part of it is that, I don’t want to go to the opposite extreme of just parading it out there in an entitled sort of way; I want to express myself in a mature, civil, dignified sort of way, and I guess should look into figuring out how to do that right.

Fussing over it won't alter the outcome, so continue to call yourself aspie and call it a wrap.

I don't mind it so much. Having high-functioning autism or having aspergers all means the same thing to me. I am an autistic aspie. It's the genius gene! :D

New Threads

Top Bottom