• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Rant: little dogs?!

I have a preternatural sense of smell, so dogs stink to me no matter how clean they are. Also I don’t like the texture of their fur. It’s an autism thing, I reckon.

That's because they lick themselves and each other with their "bin breath".

I find that a bit grim tbh but I still stroke them / play with them, etc.

I can't stand dogs with glandular issues that leave their smell everywhere, including my hands.

Seven Pekingese? You poor lamb. I wouldn’t have survived that.

Why do you say having that many dogs is an indicator that your mom is on the spectrum?

She has a habit of hoarding things associated with temporary obsessions.

Here are a few things she temporarily became obsessed with (2-3 years) off the top of my head
  • Music equipment
  • Calligraphy equipment
  • Board games
  • Decorative plates
  • Dogs
  • Teletubby dolls
Before all that she had 25 cats.

A consistent obsession for the past 30 years has been her Christianity...

She has a habit of hoarding things associated with temporary obsessions.

Here are a few things she temporarily became obsessed with (2-3 years) off the top of my head
  • Music equipment
  • Calligraphy equipment
  • Board games
  • Decorative plates
  • Dogs
  • Teletubby dolls
Before all that she had 25 cats.

A consistent obsession for the past 30 years has been her Christianity...

Dang. It had to have been tough having a mom like that.

Dang. It had to have been tough having a mom like that.

I hated her for a long time.

She was the reason I left my parents at 17.

Then we became closer as I got older.

Until I started living with my missus.

Then my supposedly morally superior parents turned into judgemental douchebags who also constantly tried to feed me conspiracy theories and scientifically inaccurate observations or prophecies that I could no longer sit by a leave unchallenged.

Haven't spoken to them for over 3 years now.

My missus communicated her concerns over my triggered state on many occasions where I'd returned from a visit highly frustrated and ranty.

Their mission to convert me has failed spectacularly as I'm now completely anti religion.

I love all dogs and have 4 Chihuahuas also like clg114. But we got them so I wouldn't be alone at home after the kids grew up and out and my wife started 2nd career (or third actually). Dogs bark for definite reasons in certain situations and also more or less depending on breed. Problems are caused by the owners having the wrong type for their situation or not understanding or meeting the dogs needs. Mine are like little security sensors that go off at the sound of any person or car or unusual sound. I joke a butterfly couldn't get within 50 feet of the house undetected. But we are in rural situation and I grew accustomed to the barking and I let them do it within reason. Once I have checked out the noise and explain to them it is ok, I do train them to stop. Chihuahuas are very smart and understand English. :D

I love all dogs and have 4 Chihuahuas also like clg114. But we got them so I wouldn't be alone at home after the kids grew up and out and my wife started 2nd career (or third actually). Dogs bark for definite reasons in certain situations and also more or less depending on breed. Problems are caused by the owners having the wrong type for their situation or not understanding or meeting the dogs needs. Mine are like little security sensors that go off at the sound of any person or car or unusual sound. I joke a butterfly couldn't get within 50 feet of the house undetected. But we are in rural situation and I grew accustomed to the barking and I let them do it within reason. Once I have checked out the noise and explain to them it is ok, I do train them to stop. Chihuahuas are very smart and understand English. :D

Your dogs are special though. :)

Maybe they liked the idea of having a dog, but the responsibility is in actuality too great for them. That being said, I know a couple of little dogs that are actually very well mannered, don't bark a lot, and are super sweet. I also think that maybe owners aren't as likely to train little dogs because you can just punt them around if they get out of hand (not that I'd recommend that). But even if they are small and easy to control, you should still train them to do basic things, like "stay", "lie down" and not bark, because otherwise they are super annoying.

Probably the poor dogs aren’t getting enough exercise and meaningful attention when their guardians are home, which no doubt partially explains their excessive yapping.

And yeah, it seems like so many people who adopt little dogs (as opposed to larger dogs) don’t train them at all, and as a result they are so ill-mannered and badly behaved, but their guardians see this as cute! I have a friend who has a Chihuahua who immediately jumps into my lap when I sit down and jumps all over me and tries to stick her tongue in my mouth and on my face. And my friend thinks it’s adorable. I can’t imagine allowing my dog to treat guests that way!

When we were staying at the Woodsprings, the people next door to us had a dog that was a little more than two years old...

And every. Single. Day. From morning to night...that freaking dog barked its head off from the time we got up till the time we went to bed. They would leave her by herself when they went out, and she would just bark and bark and bark nonstop. At the television, at other people walking down the halls, at the freakin' walls of the hotel room itself, whatever happened, if it got her attention, that dog lost its mother-loving mind trying to communicate with it.

THIS CYCLE OF PURE, UNFILTERED, UNENDING INSANITY WENT ON FOR THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY FIVE DAYS STRAIGHT.

That's right. We and they spent a WHOLE YEAR in a hotel room, and every day of it, the only thing we could hear was that DOG'S INCESSANT BARKING.

I don't hate dogs, I love them to death. But PLEASE, TRAIN YOUR FREAKING DOG!!

When we were staying at the Woodsprings, the people next door to us had a dog that was a little more than two years old...

And every. Single. Day. From morning to night...that freaking dog barked its head off from the time we got up till the time we went to bed. They would leave her by herself when they went out, and she would just bark and bark and bark nonstop. At the television, at other people walking down the halls, at the freakin' walls of the hotel room itself, whatever happened, if it got her attention, that dog lost its mother-loving mind trying to communicate with it.

THIS CYCLE OF PURE, UNFILTERED, UNENDING INSANITY WENT ON FOR THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY FIVE DAYS STRAIGHT.

That's right. We and they spent a WHOLE YEAR in a hotel room, and every day of it, the only thing we could hear was that DOG'S INCESSANT BARKING.

I don't hate dogs, I love them to death. But PLEASE, TRAIN YOUR FREAKING DOG!!

Just reading your post makes my toes curl. I can’t believe you got through that. After just one day, I would have crawled into a corner and lapsed into a state of catatonic schizophrenia.

Just reading your post makes my toes curl. I can’t believe you got through that. After just one day, I would have crawled into a corner and lapsed into a state of catatonic schizophrenia.

It was not easy at all, nor was it any amount of fun. The only thing that kept me going during the day in those dark, black times was the thought that every day that passed, my sister was one step closer to coming back, and we were one day closer to getting a house. We went without food so many days, the front desk was always at our door in the morning letting us know that they wanted payment (they didn't even bother to knock or ask to come in, they just used a skeleton key to open the door and barge in like they owned our room), we were constantly bringing our only sources of entertainment in and out of the pawn shop to compensate for different expenses, and probably most stressful of all, mom and Charles had their disputes right in the middle of the hotel room; and keep in mind, this is a room designed for only one or two people at a time (or three in this case), so it's really small and all that's in it is two beds, a cooking range, a sink, a fridge and a bathroom...and when my mother and Charles had an argument to settle (as in, a yelling match), there was nowhere to go to give them space to settle it and wait it out, and I didn't have the option of going outside the room because Charles would always lock the door on me until the argument was over (to be fair, this was his way of telling me to go somewhere and calm down so that the tension doesn't make me panic).

And every day, I always woke up to overhear nothing but bad news about something we needed. Every single day I woke up, I always just so happened to see mom or Charles in the middle of a phone call with DSS or the doctor's office, and by everything they said, I could tell something was going wrong. All this happening to me at once, forcibly piled onto me and expecting me to just deal with it up front cold turkey, really, REALLY did some seriously mortal damage to my morale, and soon, I was just an empty, unfeeling shell of a soul who had lost every ounce of faith in God, and decided the entire world itself was just nothing but only evil, and that's all it would ever be.

That all has changed now, and things are VERY different, like they should be. And I am always grateful that they changed for the better. But I will never forget those three-hundred and sixty-five days that we suffered and toiled in hell.

My family has two small dogs. Hate to throw my mother under the bus... but yeah she got them because they are cute and is reluctant to train them. She teases them both and acts on her emotions. I give the chihuahua treats to stop barking, it works because of positive association and eventually should condition her. But my mom says it's rewarding her bad behavior :rolleyes: Meanwhile, mother, sometimes encourages her to bark, sometimes yells at her barking too! Gah. The chihuahua also needs her own space, which is never given.

But we got lucky with these two dogs, the dachshund naturally never barks much, unusual for the breed. (Thank goodness because her bark is a superbark.) And the chihuahua is unusually intelligent. My fixation lately has been dogs in general and training the dachshund, which I consider her to be MY dog at this point. Got very attached to me. I love her so much. I have a picture of them in my gallery.

Boyfriend and I love dogs and like the idea of owning a dog, but we both know we’re not very active and not very consistent, so we’d probably end up frustrated with a bored, fat, yappy destructive dog with little discipline. Especially since the breeds we like are very intelligent and energetic.
That’s why we have cats. We can handle owning those and we have experience owning cats.
Maybe some day we’ll be responsible enough to own a dog, but today is not that day.

Boyfriend and I love dogs and like the idea of owning a dog, but we both know we’re not very active and not very consistent, so we’d probably end up frustrated with a bored, fat, yappy destructive dog with little discipline. Especially since the breeds we like are very intelligent and energetic.
That’s why we have cats. We can handle owning those and we have experience owning cats.
Maybe some day we’ll be responsible enough to own a dog, but today is not that day.

A very intelligent and considerate response. Indeed having the wrong breed stuck in an apartment alone for hours on end can potentially be disastrous for everyone concerned.

Intelligent and energetic dogs are easily found within the herding breed. Great dogs, but all more suited to considerable time outdoors. Yet just about any breed can be potentially susceptible to separation anxiety if you're away too long each day.

I'm a real cat person, but I hate people being cruel to their pets no matter what animal it is. It also painfully bring back memories of the few times one of my own pets did something that made me so furious I went nuts, and I feel so guilty and sad I start to cry.

Most people think I'm very patient and loving with my pets, but if they knew about some of the things I did out of anger and frustration they'd think I was a psychopath. Just yesterday I ROARED at one of my cats when I caught him about to eat the KFC I'd just brought home. I'm a monster.

... And the chihuahua is unusually intelligent.

Actually that is normal for the breed. They have the largest brain to body ratio of any dog. Unlike many small dogs, they were not bred to kill rodents. They have always been companions with some positive medical qualities. They are sometimes called 'Aztec hot water bags' and particularly good matches for the elderly. Santa has several with which he rests up between the busy seasons.

santa.jpg

Actually that is normal for the breed. They have the largest brain to body ratio of any dog. Unlike many small dogs, they were not bred to kill rodents. They have always been companions with some positive medical qualities. They are sometimes called 'Aztec hot water bags' and particularly good matches for the elderly. Santa has several with which he rests up between the busy seasons.

View attachment 56831

There he is!!!! I love that dog so much!!! Can you tell me his or her name again? The oreo one. :D (then mail him to me:rolleyes:)

There he is!!!! I love that dog so much!!! Can you tell me his or her name again? The oreo one. :D (then mail him to me:rolleyes:)

That isn't me. lol. So I don't know that one's name. The black and white coloring is less common but not hard to find. If you ever really want one, check out Adopt-a-Pet.com which has thousands of listings of dogs in shelters. There are always a 50-100 with that coloring available at any given time. It is how we got one of ours.

As an autistic person, I find the high-pitched barks of little dogs nearly unendurable. After even less than a minute of it, I feel like pulling my hair out.

I can relate to what you're saying, though at the same time you're kinda talking about me. Except I am home with my dog. There is always someone here. So my dog is quite reactive but we are onto it all the time and we don't just leave him to whine or bark for long periods.

It is an awful sound :(

New Threads

Top Bottom