• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Rant: little dogs?!

Kalinychta

V.I.P Member
Can anyone answer this question:

Why do people adopt little dogs who do nothing but yap and whine? And why,—WHYWHYWHY,—do they leave them home alone to torment their neighbors with their neurotic yapping/barking/whining?

As an autistic person, I find the high-pitched barks of little dogs nearly unendurable. After even less than a minute of it, I feel like pulling my hair out.

Incidentally, it seems to me that 90% of people who have dogs should not have them. They don’t walk them. They don’t play with them. They take them outside a few times a day to go to the bathroom, all the while staring at their phones, paying no attention to the dog. Why?! I don’t get it.

Last edited:
I do agree, some of the barking pitches really hurt my ears. But l can say l fell in love with a little doggie with a heart bigger then him.

Last edited:
I think its a phase. They want one because everyone else has one. Then they get it ands its like okay your here now. Ignore it there after until death. :mad:

It's like kids, everyone wants them until they realise how much time and care is needed for munchkins, four legged or 2 legged.

Why do people adopt little dogs who do nothing but yap and whine? And why,—WHYWHYWHY,—do they leave them home alone to torment their neighbors with their neurotic yapping/barking/whining?

As an autistic person, I find the high-pitched barks of little dogs nearly unendurable. After even less than a minute of it, I feel like pulling my hair out.

Incidentally, it seems to me that 90% of people who have dogs should not have them. They don’t walk them. They don’t play with them. They take them outside a few times a day to go to the bathroom, all the while staring at their phones, paying no attention to the dog. Why?! I don’t get it.

My wife and I have four Chihuahuas. Our children are all adults and have families of their own, so the dogs are our babies. I am autistic also, but their barking does not bother me at all. They are well trained and do not bark much. We get a lot of pleasure from them.

I agree with you about people who should not have dogs. If you have a pet of any kind, then you have a responsibly to take care of your pet.

Maybe they liked the idea of having a dog, but the responsibility is in actuality too great for them. That being said, I know a couple of little dogs that are actually very well mannered, don't bark a lot, and are super sweet. I also think that maybe owners aren't as likely to train little dogs because you can just punt them around if they get out of hand (not that I'd recommend that). But even if they are small and easy to control, you should still train them to do basic things, like "stay", "lie down" and not bark, because otherwise they are super annoying.

It doesn't matter what size dog it is the barking hurts my ears but not near as much as silverware and plates hitting each other does. I agree with the most people who own dogs have no business doing so. Especially if they own a herding breed, It takes a lot of time per day making sure they get the proper exercise and attention they need, not to mention they aren't suitable for city life as they need a good amount of space to run and play.

Little dogs can certainly be yappy. I have a little dog and I have a big dog. I love them both , home with them 99% of the time. I really don't like to leave them. I love waking up to them. The big one is pretty quiet, though he does make some funny noises in his sleep. The little one tends to bark at things at night, but I know he's trying to protect me. Sometimes he'll go up to the top of the steps and bark at the kitten up there, but all I have to do is blow on my harmonica and he comes running to me. Actually both dogs come running to me.
My ex sister-in-law was habitually kicked out of places and homeless a few times. Then she'd get into another place and first thing she'd do is get a dog only to have to find a home for it when she was evicted again. I told her over and over that she didn't need to get a dog until she could keep herself and daughter in a home.

I hate yappy dogs, too. I don't hate the animals themselves, but their yapping. A neighbour has such a dog, and it drives me mad! What I can't understand, is how the owner allows the dog to bark continuously - does it never occur to them that this is annoying for the neighbours??

My missus wanted dogs so now we have two.

They're very cute but are indeed very yappie.

I've gotten somewhat used to it but my irritation varies, sometimes it really annoys me, other times it's an eyeroll moment followed by shouting "shut up".

moment followed by shouting "shut up".

That's when the dog thinks you're also barking.

A lot of owners do that.

Usually it's a social thing.

They notice you see it barking/misbehaving then they try to show they are in charge or have consideration.

Giving it permission to bark even more.

That's when the dog thinks you're also barking.

A lot of owners do that.

Usually it's a social thing.

They notice you see it barking/misbehaving then they try to show they are in charge or have consideration.

Giving it permission to bark even more.

Usually shuts them up until they hear another noise that starts them off again.

I agree and guess what? I have two dogs and not my choice but because my husband loves them.

I admit though, that dogs are useful, but the sound when one of them barks, does the same as it does for you.

We have a rescue dog, who is cross bread. He is not tiny, but neither is he huge and his bark makes me feel like screaming. The other dog is a sausage dog and thus smaller and in fact, he is adorable and I could start to like dogs, because of him.

We find that when we leave, they bark, but as soon as we say: bye, they stop.

One neighbour did complain about their barking, but well, they are a bar/tabac shop and we find a lot of rubbish in our side and that annoys us, so I said if they complain again, we do a deal.

I do not believe we should have animals, because I am one that if you want something, you should look after, but I quickly lose interest in animals ( unless they are creatures like frogs and toads and mice). I also prefer owning chickens, which will will be getting soon.

I take anger management tablets and that helps to calm me down, from over reacting with their barking.

I agree and guess what? I have two dogs and not my choice but because my husband loves them.

I admit though, that dogs are useful, but the sound when one of them barks, does the same as it does for you.

We have a rescue dog, who is cross bread. He is not tiny, but neither is he huge and his bark makes me feel like screaming. The other dog is a sausage dog and thus smaller and in fact, he is adorable and I could start to like dogs, because of him.

We find that when we leave, they bark, but as soon as we say: bye, they stop.

One neighbour did complain about their barking, but well, they are a bar/tabac shop and we find a lot of rubbish in our side and that annoys us, so I said if they complain again, we do a deal.

I do not believe we should have animals, because I am one that if you want something, you should look after, but I quickly lose interest in animals ( unless they are creatures like frogs and toads and mice). I also prefer owning chickens, which will will be getting soon.

I take anger management tablets and that helps to calm me down, from over reacting with their barking.

I grew up with seven Pekingese (one of many potential indicators that my mum is likely also on the spectrum) so I wasn't particularly interested in keeping dogs as pets but I don't agree with controlling others so my missus ending up getting one which then suffered from separation anxiety so she got another.

They're cute and everything and I like them but they are annoying and they constantly disrupt my missus' sleep - if it were my decision I may have gotten rid of them by now because of this.

I have a preternatural sense of smell, so dogs stink to me no matter how clean they are. Also I don’t like the texture of their fur. It’s an autism thing, I reckon.

I grew up with seven Pekingese (one of many potential indicators that my mum is likely also on the spectrum) so I wasn't particularly interested in keeping dogs as pets but I don't agree with controlling others so my missus ending up getting one which then suffered from separation anxiety so she got another.

They're cute and everything and I like them but they are annoying and they constantly disrupt my missus' sleep - if it were my decision I may have gotten rid of them by now because of this.

Seven Pekingese? You poor lamb. I wouldn’t have survived that.

Why do you say having that many dogs is an indicator that your mom is on the spectrum?

New Threads

Top Bottom