• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question why police officers don't really care that I am odd

Oz67

Why when I show odd beliefs and behaviors related to Autism Spectrum Disorder, the police do not really care? They just analyze my odd behaviors and drive by.

I tend to try my best to mask my symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder in front of police officers, but not all the time.

Seriously,...they've got other things to deal with. They are short-staffed just like the rest of us and just need to put their focus on other things.

Why when I show odd beliefs and behaviors related to Autism Spectrum Disorder, the police do not really care? They just analyze my odd behaviors and drive by.

I tend to try my best to mask my symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder in front of police officers, but not all the time.

If you're not breaking any laws and not hurting
yourself or anyone else, why would they care?

You seem to be acutely aware of police.
Are there that many police swarming the area
where you live?

I was puzzled a day or two ago by a post you made
saying you'd gone to the police station to call 911.
You don't have a phone, yourself?
Or are there no other public phones available, so it's
necessary to enter police station?

The police meet people all day long, you're just one of many and they can't get personally involved with eveyone they meet. They are at work, they're working. They assess the situation, fix it as best they can and move on to the next one.

Last edited:
Never lose sight of the reality that most if not all police officers are literally "trained observers". Consequently the more aware one is of the police in real time, the more likely they become more observant of YOU. Whether your appearance and actions warrants probable cause or not.

Given such considerations, probably the best thing you can do is to ignore them. Where they may surmise that you have nothing to fear because you've done nothing wrong. Where most likely they filter you out of what they are routinely looking for. Assuming that your actions and appearance do not reflect one on drugs or alcohol. And depending on the routine activity of their beat, they probably have better things to be concerned with.

Tragically with one exception. That if you are a person of color, it's most likely that you were instantly on their radar regardless of your appearance or actions. No cynicism required. Just a cold and cruel reality of life in America.

Last edited:
There are lots of people with odd beliefs and behaviors, however it doesn't mean you are going to be arrested. People are arrested for violence, indecent exposure in a public place, stealing, vandalism, terroristic acts like threatening somebody, lewd acts (indecent ), white collar crime, kidnapping, extortion, domestic abuse, stalking in some places, dealing drugs or buying drugs, solicitation, playing music too loud, speeding, and generally not obeying any laws.

If you woke up today and decided you were going to wear a clown suit all day, and sing Star Spangled Banner all day long in public, the cops won't arrest you unless you are deemed to be a public nuisance, like if you sing in front of a business entrance, etc. In LA, street entainers dress up in costumes and sing, dance, mine, pose for pictures to collect tips, on Hollywood Blvd. And the cops drive right by.

They have an extremely stressful underpaid job, they do put their life on the line everyday. Maybe we should just let them do their job and not be in their business. You might consider that you are starting to go down that rabbit hole of thinking too much about them. How about obsessing about your future goals? What job can l do? Do l need training? Do l need to offer assistance to my family with something? Can l volunteer at the animal rescue place? Maybe l can sign up for martial arts? Maybe l can take guitar lessons. Maybe l should learn to draw or learn Japanese.

I had a bank customer signed his name as George Washinton on bank slips and we were to give him his withdrawals and accept his signature. Police could care less.

Last edited:
Remember, and be aware of your "theory of mind",...your context and perspective taking. It's often not about you,...and I say this not to be rude or mean,...it's just that sometimes we have to remind ourselves. It avoids a lot of intrusive, paranoid, anxiety-ridden thoughts. As important in this world as our ego would like to have us think we are,...we really aren't in the grand scheme of things. You do you,...and stop being concerned about what other people may or may not be thinking. Chances are,...you might be the sane one.;):D

Never lose sight of the reality that most if not all police officers are literally "trained observers". Consequently the more aware one is of the police in real time, the more likely they become more observant of YOU. Whether your appearance and actions warrants probable cause or not.

Given such considerations, probably the best thing you can do is to ignore them. Where they may surmise that you have nothing to fear because you've done nothing wrong. Where most likely they filter you out of what they are routinely looking for. Assuming that your actions and appearance do not reflect one on drugs or alcohol. And depending on the routine activity of their beat, they probably have better things to be concerned with.

Tragically with one exception. That if you are a person of color, it's most likely that you were instantly on their radar regardless of your appearance or actions. No cynicism required. Just a cold and cruel reality of life in America.

It's just they always worry about me when I sometimes show my symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder.

It's just they always worry about me when I sometimes show my symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Worrying is okay. Your parents worry about you too. Just don't think about it, try to follow the rules, don't harass people, think about what you do, and be more conservative. Think if l do this, will l upset myself or somebody else? Maybe l shouldn't do this then. Then life will be easier for you. And do something like study a subject you really like. You need to occupy your mind with a mental challenge then you won't be wrapped up in what people think about you. Just a suggestion. Not a criticism. I have to stay mentally challenged, then l am quite happy.

The way to look at it would be--they're police officers, not conformity enforcers. In an ideal situation they help make it safer for everyone.

I am sorry that I have irrational fear of police, I am not saying all law enforcement agencies are bad, but I just don't like it when they look at me and think I am just odd and then drive away when they find out that I am not doing anything illegal, just out of the norm. And when I see them thinking I am strange, I have a panic attack and think that I am doing some wrong until they drive away.

I am seriously mentally ill with history of developmental delay.

I am sorry that I have irrational fear of police, I am not saying all law enforcement agencies are bad, but I just don't like it when they look at me and think I am just odd and then drive away when they find out that I am not doing anything illegal, just out of the norm. And when I see them thinking I am strange, I have a panic attack and think that I am doing some wrong until they drive away.

Don't apologize for your fears; you're working on living with this serious mental illness. This forum is for support, not for mocking you. I think the more help you get, the better a chance you have at making things work out well.

I am sorry that I have irrational fear of police, I am not saying all law enforcement agencies are bad, but I just don't like it when they look at me and think I am just odd and then drive away when they find out that I am not doing an
ything illegal, just out of the norm. And when I see them thinking I am strange, I have a panic attack and think that I am doing some wrong until they drive away.

Fear can hold us back. Maybe understand that police trigger fear thoughts. So count to ten, breathe in thru the nose, exhale thru the mouth slowly for a count of ten or twenty. This way you ground yourself. Work thru your trigger, (when l see police, l panic). Say l feel scared, and helpless. Okay, the slow breathing calmed me down. I can let go of this fear. It's okay. Do this as many times as you need too. Sometimes certain types of people trigger me. I just think that situation triggered me. I was frighten of that man, l felt he was going to harm me. It's okay. Nothing happened. I will feel safer in my home. Triggers require work. You may need to sit down and identify your triggers. Sometimes they go away. Sometimes you have to work on it. Anxiety plays a role in this. So deep breathing helps you concentrate on what you feel, then you say l need to let go of this thought.

Sometimes l stay home, because my triggers bother me. Then l go out and do fine.

Last edited:
Don't apologize for your fears; you're working on living with this serious mental illness. This forum is for support, not for mocking you. I think the more help you get, the better a chance you have at making things work out well.

When a police officer is thinking that I am odd, can I go closer and ask the police officer why he or she is looking at me for a long time? I just want to remove the irrational fear related to my serious mental illness and not be afraid to talk with them if I need help, but I am always hyper vigilant on those cops that are not trained and I try to hide my symptoms from them, so they don't fear me.

Police fear people who commit crimes. You don't commit crimes. If you feel they are watching you, say there are the police, they are protecting everybody, including me. Maybe they are worried someone might target you, so they keep a eye out for you to see that you are safe. Instead of thinking a bad thought, think a good thought. Hey, men in blue, our tax dollars pay their salary to keep us safe from others who don't follow rules. I think police are more sensitive to younger people with all the headlines lately. So they watch all young people to make sure things are okay.

Your fear based thought is irrational. The quicker you let that thought go, the better you will feel. Can you think about moving past this thought?

Police don't harm you, they protect society, they protect you, just let them be.:)

Last edited:
When a police officer is thinking that I am odd, can I go closer and ask the police officer why he or she is looking at me for a long time? I just want to remove the irrational fear related to my serious mental illness and not be afraid to talk with them if I need help, but I am always hyper vigilant on those cops that are not trained and I try to hide my symptoms from them, so they don't fear me.

I have an idea for this. Instead of going up to ask an on-duty policeman, go meet an off-duty policeman some time & you two just find time to talk. Ask about his job, ask about how to better fit in, maybe you'll get help.

Calling the station's non-emergency line or sending a letter to explain your fear of police & maybe find a way to work past it may help. This would be a sort of do-at-home form af aversion therapy. Now if the police department in your area is mostly good people, I'm hoping they'd help you out.

Police fear people who commit crimes. You don't commit crimes. If you feel they are watching you, say there are the police, they are protecting everybody, including me. Maybe they are worried someone might target you, so they keep a eye out for you to see that you are safe. Instead of thinking a bad thought, think a good thought. Hey, men in blue, our tax dollars pay their salary to keep us safe from others who don't follow rules. I think police are more sensitive to younger people with all the headlines lately. So they watch all young people to make sure things are okay.

Your fear based thought is irrational. The quicker you let that thought go, the better you will feel. Can you think about moving past this thought?

Police don't harm you, they protect society, they protect you, just let them be.:)

That makes sense, thank you!

I have an idea for this. Instead of going up to ask an on-duty policeman, go meet an off-duty policeman some time & you two just find time to talk. Ask about his job, ask about how to better fit in, maybe you'll get help.

Calling the station's non-emergency line or sending a letter to explain your fear of police & maybe find a way to work past it may help. This would be a sort of do-at-home form af aversion therapy. Now if the police department in your area is mostly good people, I'm hoping they'd help you out.

Thank you!

That makes sense, thank you!

I am not sure if you should write a letter to the police. It seems that they try to work with you. I feel they already know that you are doing your best. I think it's better not to write them or call them. It's better to discuss this with your therapist. Police aren't trained in therapy. Their expertise is difusing volatile situations like domestic abuse. So do them a favor, just work on releasing that trigger.

It seems you have a better understanding of how our thoughts can take over and push us into a dark hole. I think you are learning to step out of your dark hole. You are changing your thought pattern. Instead of thinking the same thought over and over, you are saying, l don't need to rethink. I need to realize l thought a negative thought, now l will think a positive thought and in doing so, you pull yourself out of compulsive negative fear paranoid based thinking. You can do this. I have faith in you. I have seen a lot of changes in your posts. :)

Soon your thoughts will change but maybe you have to actively work on it. When the negative takes over, you say wait, nope, l am not going that path. I will find a good thought to think instead.

Last edited:

They deal with the worst humans possible. Some eccentric doesn't register.

New Threads

Top Bottom