• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Psychology: Do you have problems with emojis?

Do you have problems with emojis?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have problems understanding what they are supposed to mean sometimes....like I don't know what the "face" is supposed to be indicating for a lot of them (except for obvious ones, like smiles or frowns). I have to look them up in the texting app and hover over them to see the description. Is that what you were talking about?

I said no, but I have one caveat.
Windows 11 emojis look ugly and less polished than Windows 10 emojis...
full

Emojis don't particularly bother me, although I didn't use them until I had younger friends who used them. Now I'm guilty of it too...

I can usually figure out what they mean, and some of them I use incorrectly on purpose and send to my friends as inside jokes lol

I have problems understanding what they are supposed to mean sometimes....like I don't know what the "face" is supposed to be indicating for a lot of them (except for obvious ones, like smiles or frowns). I have to look them up in the texting app and hover over them to see the description. Is that what you were talking about?
Interesting.
But are you comfortable if someone uses them in a reply to you?

Emojis don't particularly bother me, although I didn't use them until I had younger friends who used them. Now I'm guilty of it too...

I can usually figure out what they mean, and some of them I use incorrectly on purpose and send to my friends as inside jokes lol
I enjoy using emojis.
Is it an autistic thing or simply a personal interest?
Not sure...don't care...
I still enjoy the process of picking the appropriate emoji. :cool:

I don't have a problem with them when they're used sparingly or with clear intent, like a heart or a sad face when someone is upset. I find the selection here at AF to be really lacking. The facial expressions tend to look over-exaggerated, smug, or sarcastic. They give a smarmy tone to some of the posts especially if they're used consistently. I wish we had a greater variety of choices here. I notice we can't even use a simple heart to indicate we like something, and most of the faces look like they're on drugs. It also kind of bugs me that all the faces are the same colour.

I don't really care for most of the facial expressions here, either. They look over-exaggerated to me, too. Sometimes, here and elsewhere, I have trouble understanding what people mean by them, especially when they are used in a different manner than I would use them. When posts contain several, it's a bit much in my opinion. Usually, I limit my usage to one per post.

I wish this site would allow me to use emojis from my phone in the posts. I'm not keen on the site's emojis as they're too small to see what they are and there's no heart symbol.

Vaguely, but I don't use them
Computer people use base-16 [a.k.a. hexadecimal] because it converts to computer hardware easier than regular counting numbers [a.k.a. decimal; base-10].
The text character "A" has an ASCII value of 65. That is 41 in hexadecimal.
For "B," it is 66; hex = 42.

When the computer tells the monitor to show character #67, it shows a "C."
When it says to show hexadecimal character #44, it shows a "D," etc.

The "chair" emoji has character value of 129,681; hex = 1FA91.
IIRC, on this forum, you can only copy/paste character nos. < 65,536; hex = 10000.
⏰is character #9,200; hex = 23F0.

As far as I know, I don't have a problem with them. I just regard them all as inscrutable yellow dots, and I still have more than enough information to absorb.

Some ppl at the other website I used to frequent had a problem with me using emojis.
That could have simply been an excuse because they didn't like me personally.

Some ppl at the other website I used to frequent had a problem with me using emojis.
That could have simply been an excuse because they didn't like me personally.
Some of the extended set of emoji are used for sexual innuendo.
Unwitting misuse of those might offend some people.
(They are not the smiley face emoji, though,...)

New Threads

Top Bottom