• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Psychology: Do you have problems with emojis?

Do you have problems with emojis?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
You can't just slap a red cross on anything you please. Because it's an internationally recognised symbol it can only be used with approval, that also goes for the red crescent and others.
No you can't, they're symbols that say that you're part of an organization affiliated with the Red Cross (capital letters) and the symbols are either a red crescent, red cross, or red crystal. So I don't think there was a green cross that recently became red in the Middle East. That's what I was saying in my initial message. :)

Otherwise, I think emojis and some gifs are cool, and I'm glad I have a whole lot of them in the media section now.

Last edited:
Computer people use base-16 [a.k.a. hexadecimal] because it converts to computer hardware easier than regular counting numbers [a.k.a. decimal; base-10].
The text character "A" has an ASCII value of 65. That is 41 in hexadecimal.
For "B," it is 66; hex = 42.

When the computer tells the monitor to show character #67, it shows a "C."
When it says to show hexadecimal character #44, it shows a "D," etc.

The "chair" emoji has character value of 129,681; hex = 1FA91.
IIRC, on this forum, you can only copy/paste character nos. < 65,536; hex = 10000.
⏰is character #9,200; hex = 23F0.
Makes me sad because when I was younger I learned to read hex code but can't remember now, haven't needed to since September 1996
Thanks for the flash, tho, it made me smile :)

You can use this one if you want to:
heart.jpg
You don't have to use an image.
You can
  • copy/paste this one [❤] and change its font color or
  • copy/paste the emoji version of it [❤️].

Makes me sad because when I was younger I learned to read hex code but can't remember now, haven't needed to since September 1996
Thanks for the flash, tho, it made me smile :)
Windows calculator app has a programmer mode that will do the conversion for you.
full

Getting back to the original discussion about emojis - I remember the days when they were called emoticons and you had to write them using colons and brackets : )
I remember those days well.
I didn't understand the code at first. How could I?
I got a big laugh when I asked someone online what ": )" meant. :laughing:

I voted that I like them. I use them myself if the context is right. It’s only annoying when no one seems to know what they mean. The ones here aren’t great (sorry AF!)

I think it’s important to choose simple ones which are unambiguous.

To me it's somewhere between the Joker and Green Lantern. I don't see why this would represent jealousy though.

I don’t know what that means. I don’t know the Joker or Green Lantern.

A person being green traditionally means that they’re feeling envy or jealousy. You’ve never heard of “green with envy”?

Not always, but I do have a problem with terminology or abbreviations being used with the assumption that I (or anyone else) should know what's being talked about.

Google usually helps out with this, but if not, and if the other side can't clarify, I just chalk it up as a failure to communicate and move on. I don't do well with ambiguity.

I don’t know what that means. I don’t know the Joker or Green Lantern.

A person being green traditionally means that they’re feeling envy or jealousy. You’ve never heard of “green with envy”?
I meant that the emoji itself doesn't look jealous to me. It might be green but it has a big grin and to me it looks either very happy or mischievous...

Exactly. ^

The colour and the smile didn't match, or go together. That's what I said earlier. It didn't make sense so I had no idea what it was supposed to mean.

:) I never learned all only these two ;) and <3 but they were enough

All the pretty new ones, I choose which by what it expresses to me, not what it's name says it is

And just like I didn't use :(
I don't use the frowny or angry or negative ones
If you need to say something negative it is better privately in person with actual words and as calmly as possible

[And would never send the poop one, that is awful but also do not appreciate bathroom jokes]

I use :( when I am saying something sad about my life.
I use :confounded: when I realize that I made a blunder.

PS: I agree about having no use for the poop emoji.

Yes, I have problem understanding emojis. I never use them. And I don't respond when others use. I only understand the smile emoji :)
(smiling face, smiling eyes). it is simple for me.

Yes, I have problem understanding emojis. I never use them. And I don't respond when others use. I only understand the smile emoji :)
(smiling face, smiling eyes). it is simple for me.
if you put the cursor over the emoji, it will tell you what it is. ;)

if you put the cursor over the emoji, it will tell you what it is. ;)
I know that, but I do not prefer to. Because I grew up totally emotionally neglected. My emotional terrain is very rough, with lots of gaps, and dark. So, I prefer not to know other people's feelings. It is more burden for me. I am already burdened with - healing my inner wounds, self-care, dealing with toxic family members, working for my survival.

The problem with Emojis is that different people can interpret the same emoji\use of the emoji in different ways, which has the potential to cause problems...

A Canadian farmer is being forced to pay for a breach of contract after using a thumbs-up emoji in a text.
The bizarre saga began when farmer Chris Achter was discussing a grain order with buyer Kent Mickleborough, who worked for South West Terminal Ltd (SWT), in 2021.

A contract was then drafted for SWT to buy 86 tonnes of flax from Mr Achter for $25 a bushel, to be delivered in November that year.

Mr Mickleborough signed the contract and took a photo of it before sending it in a text message to Mr Achter with the message: “Please confirm flax contract”.

Mr Achter replied with a thumbs-up emoji – but the flax delivery never arrived in November, and by that time, the cost of flax had skyrocketed to $61 per bushel.

Now, the Court of King’s Bench in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan has ordered Mr Achter to pay $C82,000 ($A92,000) after declaring that the emoji signified he had entered into a legally-binding contract, which was then breached.

According to legal documents seen by news.com.au, Mr Achter claimed he used the thumbs-up emoji to confirm he had received the contract and “understood the complete contract would follow by fax or email”, for him to look into further.

“I deny that he accepted the thumbs-up emoji as a digital signature of the incomplete contract,” he said.

“I did not have time to review the Flax Contract and merely wanted to indicate that I did receive his text message.”
Source: https://www.news.com.au/finance/mon...i/news-story/b678f4b02af49964cdbadc4eaa61611d

Another few examples of emoji-related problems:
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...s/news-story/ead81cc6d31e0297f4e30f0dca48c382

I have no problem with their use, and for the most part I think I can work out what was intended - As long as people are willing to risk the possibility of what they are attempting to communicate via the emojis being misinterpreted (either accidentally or willfully - I've known several people who would look for any way to cause issues for those the dislike, with emoji's potentially providing an easy source), there shouldn't be any problem with them and their use - A picture is worth a thousand words, after all..

I like emoji and find them real cute and I love when i meet people who use heaps and always hope they would make more like the cutest ones and make them more cute as well.
I like the shocked and scared face a lot for shock value as well as the hearts and the unicorn one.

New Threads

Top Bottom