• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Phobias anyone?

If ya'll are all put off by our own types of spiders then perhaps it would be imprudent of me to mention the fearsome Yowie, the terrible Bunyip and the Hairy Bogan.
All naturally occurring, often spotted in the urban landscape on dark nights as well... then of course there's bushrangers to consider!

But I wont go on, life down-under is at times too horrible to contemplate ; ]

Gomendosi, you forget the rare but incredibly terrifying drop bear, I hope I never have the misfortune of coming face to face with one of these!

Drop bears prefer travellers, says study - Australian Geographic
Drop Bear - Australian Museum

I have so many horror stories about spiders. I think for fear to be classed as a phobia, it has to be considered irrational. I'm sorry, but my fear is well established in a history of "events" that gives me a pain in the chest just thinking about.

I like your back up plan. For me the bug spray is option 3; there is too much time between the spray hitting the spider and when it actually dies. That is not a preferred option. In fact, even if I do spray it, I still smash it with a shoe.

I'm so glad to be in a relatively insulated building on a second floor. Keeps the creepy crawlers to a minimum. Directly behind my building it's like a wildlife reserve.

I'd feed all the desert cottontail rabbits if they came to the door....but the spiders, rattlesnakes and scorpions? Uh.....no. Coyotes? Lemme think about it...lol.

Agoraphobia, hypochondria, and somniphobia. My phobias aggravate eachother a lot. If I'm going through a really bad rough patch with somniphobia, my hypochondria is deeply affected by that because of the lack of sleep. Then my hypochondria, in turn, makes me fear sleep even more, because I'm afraid that whatever illness I think I have at the moment may kill me as soon as a close my eyes or slow down in any way. Though if I'm going through a rough patch with hypochondria, it makes my agoraphobia less intense because I need to do SOMETHING to get my mind off of my so-called illness.
My phobias are, slowly but surely, getting taken care of. I'm not seeing anyone about it because I have had the worst luck with therapists. I have been tossed around therapy all my life so, needless to say, I'm sick of it. I've been solving issues myself and figuring out what steps I should take to get better. I know myself better than anyone else, and I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain how I work to someone I don't even know. Or, even, someone I do know.

Main phobia is falling because of an accident as a child. Know why it's a phobia but it doesn't help.

For me, it's heights and spiders. I don't like being in large groups of people, but I don't consider that a phobia, but then again, maybe I'm wrong.

Mine is heights :( I can't stand anything over four feet ... I think mine had to do with an incident in preschool where the teacher kept pushing me on the swing when I told her repeatedly to stop it. I remember crying a lot during the whole ordeal .

I also freak myself out at night sometimes and hate dolls or anything with eyes because I feel like their watching me and I keep expecting them to start moving on their own out of the corner of my eyes :|

I do believe that phobias affect us more. I have severe emetophobia (fear of vomiting) since I was a child and I will never drink booze, become pregnant, or go on a rollercoaster because of it. I could have gotten a job as a stewardess on a cruise ship but I was so scared about seasickness and viral outbreaks that I never called back.

I have a fear of spiders, can't shake it. However, it is a bizarre fear as I don't mind them when I am outside, I only freak when they are in the house.

Used to have a fear of flying but I took my private pilots license when I was 40 and got rid of that :)

I do believe that phobias affect us more. I have severe emetophobia (fear of vomiting) since I was a child and I will never drink booze, become pregnant, or go on a rollercoaster because of it. I could have gotten a job as a stewardess on a cruise ship but I was so scared about seasickness and viral outbreaks that I never called back.

Being pregnant doesn't necessarily mean you will be puking.

Photophobia (the light hurt me!!)

Hemophobia (fear of blood)

Coulrophobia (fear of clowns... can't bear them!!)

Pediophobia (fear of dolls... my mum loves old dolls, this is my nightmare, lol)

Hearing birds ruffle their feathers used to creep me out.
That was when my mother had the 200 chickens.

91bf6591412ffe37b75a758a63f52c05.jpg

Yeah, I can see how that would be problematic. :eek:

That's why I have a phobia of doctors, Judge. I don't see a doctor until it's absolutely necessary. I hate hospitals. I see people come in all the time for one thing and with all the tests done on them something completely different and a lot worse will be found. A lot of cancer is found that way. I prefer to keep myself in the dark. The less I know, the better!

New Threads

Top Bottom