• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Phobias anyone?

That's why I have a phobia of doctors, Judge. I don't see a doctor until it's absolutely necessary. I hate hospitals. I see people come in all the time for one thing and with all the tests done on them something completely different and a lot worse will be found. A lot of cancer is found that way. I prefer to keep myself in the dark. The less I know, the better!

As long as you don't help yourself to the meds. :eek:

I used to work with a woman whose husband's job was to account for all hospital inventories of controlled substances. (DEA)

That's why I have a phobia of doctors, Judge. I don't see a doctor until it's absolutely necessary. I hate hospitals. I see people come in all the time for one thing and with all the tests done on them something completely different and a lot worse will be found. A lot of cancer is found that way. I prefer to keep myself in the dark. The less I know, the better!

I do the same. I also hate hospitals (and yet I never have been hospitalized! but I've bad memories with my grand-mother...)... I see my doctor when I'm very ill but I run away from examinations and blood tests! I also prefer to keep myself in the ignorance. I admit it's quite stupid but... :oops:

Little to fear, but much to be thankful for with Spiders.

Yes spiders are icky.... but they are much more then that. They may be all that stands between us and complete inundation by billions of insects, including some true pests and parasites. Spiders are not insects, as you probably already knew. They come from the line that made crustaceans or your inlaws or something like that.

Other creatures prey on bugs, but nothing can compare to the astronomical numbers that spiders account for. And the overwhelming number of spider species are totally benign to people. Even the potentially dangerous types want nothing to do with you and try and live in out of the way corners. Spiders don't want you or your food.

They perform a great service to humans, and can be in a symbiotic relationship. I try and respect all bugs right to live, but make an exception in the house. But I make an exception to an exception for spiders. I don't kill or remove them, but I might move them if they pick an inconveinent place to call home. I also rarely see them and rarely see bugs in the house even though I live in a natural forest.

They are still icky and I won't pick them up with my hand by choice, but I am glad they are there. Once in a while I will see one regularly for a while and give them a name, like 'Stairwell Freddy'.

Loosing EYE sight......BIG Fear!

Kestrel, I understand. I startle easily if my nerves /anxiety mode...... I don't call my mood angry though. It's more fear based for me. I have very low blood pressure. (Maybe that explains some of my differences?)

I was very very very very very much afraid of random tragic accidents where I would lose my eyesight??? ?! I love ART! I feel that I very much need those eyes to read and do art..... (Now they have iphones and computers that can perform like magic, but still, not the same!) I was very much afraid of my Grandma, being friends and caring for elderly people? (Shame on me) I start to reflect on my own vulnerabilities, aging, and DYING. Projecting? had Terrible fears of death. Getting older helps this? a little bit????????? ??? (not completely sure) belief in afterlife should help too..... really scared of spiders too. (that seems to be popular, but it's true.) Family unreal scared of spiders too.

horrible very bad awful childhood fears that when or if the Doctors need to give anesthesia (even for dental work or some surgery????) that when I fall asleep, I will never ever wake up??? ?? That fear kinda lingers, despite the fact that I experienced this and DID wake up.

Once, upon a time, I could have been accused of Hypochondriac, too, aw, sighs, I had impacted bowels,...It COULD be deadly, for really, real, .... Sometimes, I worry too much! I've been told! Also, first, I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. oops...

I have the most awful phobia of SNOW DRIVING, but it's due to the traumatic incident. I cope by avoid all inclement insidious snow driving, no matter what.

Last edited:
I have a bit of Papyrophobia, nothing super severe but in some cases it can be excruciating and a fear of death, mostly my loved ones dying, I get super duper death anxiety.

I have an irrational fear of homework. This developed through high school and reached a head in university. I tend to avoid homework out of fear, and then when I force myself to do it I sometimes experience severe panic leading to a total breakdown. Thus would ensue "the dance of the broken necked bird", an elaborate tick that I manifest in times of high stress. I have similar reactions to searching for work. Is suppose these phobias stem from a deeper fear of failure and rejection.

I once had a terrible fear of wasps, to the point that any buzzing insect would send me running and screaming. This proved a great embarrassment to my friends.

Acrophobia: fear of heights
Claustrophobia: fear of confined spaces
Astraphobia: fear of lightning and thunder
Trypophobia: Google this if you dare!

Little to fear, but much to be thankful for with Spiders.

You should see some of the spider bites that I have seen at the hospital. Seeing some of those bites would make you run for the hills if you even saw just a Daddy Longlegs! Usually the spider "stuff" eats the skin where the bite is and the patient ends up having to have surgery to dig out the infection leaving a really big hole that has to heal from the inside out (could take months). And if it's really bad, some have to have amputations. :confused:

Cat bites and scratches are just as bad. That's why a bite from Waldo is a NO! NO! in my house. :cryingcat: Bad Kitty!

You should see some of the spider bites that I have seen at the hospital. Seeing some of those bites would make you run for the hills if you even saw just a Daddy Longlegs! Usually the spider "stuff" eats the skin where the bite is and the patient ends up having to have surgery to dig out the infection leaving a really big hole that has to heal from the inside out (could take months). And if it's really bad, some have to have amputations. :confused:

Cat bites and scratches are just as bad. That's why a bite from Waldo is a NO! NO! in my house. :cryingcat: Bad Kitty!

I thought I read that 'Daddy Long Legs' actually have a very toxic sting. But I know from much observation and contact that one must be very unlucky indeed to get an accidental bite. They are very unagressive towards people, preferring to flee if at all possible. They have an unusual hunting style, but then again I believe they are not true spiders. They walk a route and look for tiny insects. I have watched them circle over and over the same path, if constricted to a porch, room etc.

The best advice for avoiding spider bites (and other creepy crawlies) is to not grip things blindly outdoors or in sheds/basements with bare hands or step into constricted overgrown areas. Wear thick leather gloves when moving things like that and turn items over with a pole or rake first. Always look before stepping.

i take care with spiders, which I value but also prefer outside not in. This guy was living in my bathroom. I have a fear of confined spaces and of crowds. image.jpg

I am terrified of heights, and almost as terrified of lightning, due to a bad experience when I was a child. I had been sleeping on their couch due to lack of bed space, and while I was asleep lightning hit their TV and went right down through the house, which utterly destroyed the TV. I was max 5-6 feet away when this happened. I was horrified at how close it had been to me... and if it could destroy a TV, I figured it could just as easily destroy me.

I honestly feel like my fear of heights is justified - because if I fell from these heights, I'd be seriously injured or I'd die. I feel more like it's an exaggeration of a natural defense mechanism. It's the degree of the fear that is the problem, or at least can be, because it's really paralyzing. Like the time I found myself alone on a glass bridge on the 3rd floor of a building, only to turn around and realize the set of stairs I'd just come up were also glass... oh my goodness. I panicked SO badly. Just barely managed to get myself across the bridge and onto non-see-through floor.

The lightning one I know to be pretty irrational. I mean, it's very rare for lightning to even strike your house or car, never mind actually hitting YOU, unless you're outside next to a tree during a thunderstorm. I always make sure I'm well indoors and away from the windows during storms, to prevent lightning going through me. Nonetheless, I'm still afraid. And I'm not actually afraid of thunder (I actually kinda enjoy the sound), but when it gets really loud I start becoming really scared because I know that means lightning's close.

I'm not diagnosed with ASD, but my Aspie friend is convinced I have ASD traits, and I also have a lot of problems with different types of anxiety. It's not a surprise, given that I was basically born anxious, that I have a couple of phobias. I have no idea if the ASD traits thing may have something to do with the anxiety, or consequently the phobias.

I'm not convinced I could entirely conquer the acrophobia, although I've managed to control it in certain difficult situations (like when I was in grade 8 on a trip to Quebec and we went up and down this big mountain). Basically, if I prepare for it and have time to tell myself it's going to be okay, I can get through it most of the time. [But I won't be jumping off cliffs or standing on the CN Tower glass floor anytime soon!!] I could probably conquer lightning eventually if I tried; it's actually gotten a lot better since I've become an adult.

I have a huge fear of driving and general unease in cars, which has kept me from ever having my license. I'm also terrified of monkeys...not really the little ones, but baboons and esp orangutans, I can't even see one on tv, it terrifies me. Never have figured that one out, the closest I ever came was thinking about the Uncanny Valley.

New Threads

Top Bottom