• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Odd things

I got rid of most of my belongings back in 2009 because I lost my apartment and had no other choice. It was such an ordeal that I am afraid of accumulating a lot of "things" because I have this fear that I will one day have to move at a moment's notice. So...I got rid of most of my "weird" things. I was somewhat of a hoarder, actually. Had I not lost my home, I probably would have been on TLC show by age 50.

I'm far from a minimalist, but I do hide things. I think it's because I grew up in a critical environment, but I get very self-conscious, even about things that I have no reason to worry about.

I almost never have visitors and if I do, I need a day's notice so that I can hide my messes and anything I don't want in plain sight. I hide books and journals. I've been collecting video games lately. I had to give up a lot of my old games and consoles (and some got stolen), but I'm about to start collecting some retro gaming things.

Most people would wonder what a 37-year-old woman is doing living alone with shelves full of video games, but I guess I wouldn't allow "most people" to come visit.

Gah! I didn't know so many people here were obsessed with guns! When I started reading the thread, I thought it was about collecting UNUSUAL or embarrassing stuff! Are you guys from Australia or something? :confused: Here in the States, guns are a dime a dozen.

I have made quite a few of these, but they don't take up any space in my house.
They only exist on-line.

I like developing content for random list shufflers.
This one I made today makes words.
http://www.generatorland.com/usergenerator.aspx?id=11370

I want to try some variations on this. See if I can generate longer words.
Also I want to see whether I can make more words if I use only the most
frequent letters of the alphabet. [ETA OIN SHRD]

I like developing content for random list shufflers.
This one I made today makes words.
http://www.generatorland.com/usergenerator.aspx?id=11370
This reminds me a little of the apps you can get which give a grid of letters and you have to find words. I never find them all because the 'answers' always contain lots of odd non-words – no idea where they get their lists from. On the other hand, I find lots of non-words that look absolutely awesome, and really do deserve to be real words in my opinion.

The thread as a whole reminds me of Jen Birch's biography 'Congratulations, its Aspergers Syndrome'. She was ridiculed for such 'bizarre' interests as having hens! Seems pretty normal to me, even more so if one is in the countryside. My wife was hassled for reading. The real question is why do we have to feel embarrassed for enjoying ordinary things?

Interesting, Remington made the most of them (900,000) during WWII with 400,000 each for both Colt and Ithaca.

I would love to find a Singer :D
I hold a stainless Colt Commander 45ACP with an additional Kimber 22 rimfire conversion once in a while ;)

Okay, enough is enough, I've tried subtle, that obviously didn't work, so... If you want to talk about guns, start another thread. I started this one to talk about unusual collections and obsessions. I don't even own a gun and I'm not interested in them.

The cool thing about it is that as I learned later, it's not a Colt, it was made by Ithaca. I had thought all WWII Era 45s were Colts.

I thought so to. I am not to surprised, I have a WWII era M1 carbine made by a juke box company in Chicago.

I thought that I'd made it clear, obviously not.

I'll try again
If you want to talk about guns.... make another thread

I guess I shouldn't talk about my other military collectibles. But, I also enjoy collecting large projectiles which people consider odd. I have a 105mm shell casing which I'm waiting for the actual projectile which I ordered from Vietnam to get here to finish it off. I also have cannonballs from the Civil War. I guess this would be considered odd. I also have a dental model which has teeth mounted on an aluminum jaw that moves. I have a really cool plastic skull which has a brain that separates into various components and a large vintage eyeball model from Germany which breaks down into 7 pieces. I collect lots of odd things.

I hereby rename this thread...

Lets be totally disrespectful to the wishes of the OP and continue talk about guns

Last edited:
I also have a dental model which has teeth mounted on an aluminum jaw that moves. I have a really cool plastic skull which has a brain that separates into various components and a large vintage eyeball model from Germany which breaks down into 7 pieces. I collect lots of odd things.
I want one of each of those :D

Mod Mode On

*I'd just like to remember everyone to stay civil and respectful towards each other. Interests can differ and sometimes they might even be opposed, but that's life. We can always ignore what we don't like. So keep on with the subject of the thread and keep the personal insults or sneers for the next rap battle at the docks. Bokay?
Also, on the subject of threads, and thread 'ownership': when threads are being made about very personal topics or issues, the OP can get a bit more say on what's being discussed, imo, but for a rather general and broad subject like this, one should expect the discussion to go into areas which weren't always expected at the start. As I said, interests differ, and what's odd to one person is very commonplace to the other. Now, get on discussing your oddities before I make you all kiss and put make-up on ;)*

There was a time when I started collecting band uniforms. I was in high school marching band and we were cleaning out some very old closets. I was actually able to find and assemble 4 old band uniforms (each a different style) that the director let me have. I don't know why I liked them, but I wore one for Halloween once. My mom eventually made me get rid of them because they were "taking up space" and were "junk."

Mod Mode On

*I'd just like to remember everyone to stay civil and respectful towards each other. Interests can differ and sometimes they might even be opposed, but that's life. We can always ignore what we don't like. So keep on with the subject of the thread and keep the personal insults or sneers for the next rap battle at the docks. Bokay?
Also, on the subject of threads, and thread 'ownership': when threads are being made about very personal topics or issues, the OP can get a bit more say on what's being discussed, imo, but for a rather general and broad subject like this, one should expect the discussion to go into areas which weren't always expected at the start. As I said, interests differ, and what's odd to one person is very commonplace to the other. Now, get on discussing your oddities before I make you all kiss and put make-up on ;)*

Agreed, my bad. I will play nice from now on. When I was a young man, that temper got me into trouble from time to time.

New Threads

Top Bottom