• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Odd things

BIMOG

Noivilbo Kees I : Я ищу забвение
I've been reading through some of the older threads about obsessions and some of the threads included posts that mentioned hiding objects, to avoid them being seen by visiting friends or relations. Reading those posts made me wonder whether other people here feel embarrassed, ashamed or secretive about some of their obsessions, collections or their "must have that" impulse buys? Have friends (for those who have them) or family members expressed the opinion that some of the things that you cherish are weird, childish or odd?

No,my friends and family admire of what I have always done.
I have a pretty odd collection of things that is just one load of junk away from being a hoarder :D

I am trying desperately to clean out my huge pole building and streamline what I have collected,but have a very difficult time throwing anything away that can be repurposed.I have a 53 foot freight trailer on my property I use for a shed to house my dragster along with antique and performance motor vehicle parts.There are thousands of dollars worth of very rare antique Corvette parts in it that I will begin to liquidate this winter.

One example of an interesting repurpose is my 50 gallon aquarium stand that was made from an old closed cabinet entertainment center. It placed the tank high enough to be at eye level and provided several power outlet areas to hide the power cord mess inside it. I placed shelves for all my fish keeping supplies inside it. That setup is one of three individual tanks currently in operation with plans for at least one more this winter.
20150922_133736.jpg

Oh, yeah. I didn't know I was on the spectrum at the time, but when my partner moved in 13 years ago, there was a whole lotta "Why do you have this?" Weird, dysfunctional, clinging to the past, etc. Not sure how the relationship survived, to tell you the truth. I guess I was willing to change.

Living alone was bliss.

I've been reading through some of the older threads about obsessions and some of the threads included posts that mentioned hiding objects, to avoid them being seen by visiting friends or relations. Reading those posts made me wonder whether other people here feel embarrassed, ashamed or secretive about some of their obsessions, collections or their "must have that" impulse buys? Have friends (for those who have them) or family members expressed the opinion that some of the things that you cherish are weird, childish or odd?

Well, I do not always tell my wife when I buy a firearm. She says that I have enough guns. I tell her that I can not have too many guns. I like guns because they are machines, well built and precise machines. I spend as much time taking them apart and cleaning them, as I do shooting them. When I do shoot them it is only at targets. I do not hunt and do not have any desire to shoot at anything alive. The guns are always locked up in a safe, but that is not to hide them. It is for safety as we have a lot grandkids. I enjoy showing them to people. But my wife still says that anyone who has as many weapons as I do, has too many.

Last edited:
vLySmPC.jpg

Wesley lounges on a chair in the corner of my bedroom. Everybody who has seen him always asks, "Why have you got...?"

Obviously because I wanted him.

Well, I do not always tell my wife when I buy a firearm. She says that I have enough guns. I tell her that I can not have to many guns. I like guns because they are machines, well built and precise machines. I spend as much time taking them apart and cleaning them, as I do shooting them. When I do shoot them it is only at targets. I do not hunt and do not have any desire to shoot at anything alive. The guns are always locked up in a safe, but that is not to hide them. It is for safety as we have a lot grandkids. I enjoy showing them to people. But my wife still says that anyone who has as many weapons as I do, has to many.
My appreciation for finer machinery caught my interest in firearms too.
I understand you totally :D

Well, I do not always tell my wife when I buy a firearm. She says that I have enough guns. I tell her that I can not have to many guns. I like guns because they are machines, well built and precise machines. I spend as much time taking them apart and cleaning them, as I do shooting them. When I do shoot them it is only at targets. I do not hunt and do not have any desire to shoot at anything alive. The guns are always locked up in a safe, but that is not to hide them. It is for safety as we have a lot grandkids. I enjoy showing them to people. But my wife still says that anyone who has as many weapons as I do, has to many.
You can never have too many guns, each one of mine has different characteristics and uses. Even considering that I have 2 45's, one I enjoy shooting, the other is a collectable GI issue which my dad carried in WWII. I also only shoot at targets, even though I have a CCW "just in case" and enjoy cleaning them and teaching my son proper gun care and safety.

You can never have too many guns, each one of mine has different characteristics and uses. Even considering that I have 2 45's, one I enjoy shooting, the other is a collectable GI issue which my dad carried in WWII. I also only shoot at targets, even though I have a CCW "just in case" and enjoy cleaning them and teaching my son proper gun care and safety.

You got my attention, I want a WWII 1911 so bad that I can hardly stand it. The fact that your father had it in "The Big War" makes it really, really special. That is one you will want to keep in the family. I have a 1911, but it is a newer one and is not a Colt.

I too have a CCW, but rarely carry. The biggest reason that I have one is that it makes buying and selling firearms much easier.

I commend you for teaching your son to be responsible with firearms. That is VERY important.

vLySmPC.jpg

Wesley lounges on a chair in the corner of my bedroom. Everybody who has seen him always asks, "Why have you got...?"

For the same reason that I have a trebuchet, because I wanted one. That is a good enough reason.

Well, I do not always tell my wife when I buy a firearm. She says that I have enough guns. I tell her that I can not have too many guns. I like guns because they are machines, well built and precise machines. I spend as much time taking them apart and cleaning them, as I do shooting them. When I do shoot them it is only at targets. I do not hunt and do not have any desire to shoot at anything alive. The guns are always locked up in a safe, but that is not to hide them. It is for safety as we have a lot grandkids. I enjoy showing them to people. But my wife still says that anyone who has as many weapons as I do, has too many.
Reading the first sentences of your post, I was going to ask if you took any safety precautions in storing them, and then you answered my question. :) I wasn't even thinking of kids; in an episode I was watching of 'It Takes a Thief' (Ex-thiefs rob a house with the owner's consent to show its weak points) one of the family members said that what he saw them do made him want to have a gun, and one of the ex-thieves said "But then the burglar would have a gun". The implication was that with the over all lousy security inside this guy's home, odds are the gun would be equally vulnerable, and it would be real easy for the burglar to find and take it.

vLySmPC.jpg

That is one of those questions that one shouldn't ask, because it can't really be explained.

I just don't like the annoying or condescending comments. o_O

I tend to hide things in plain sight be keeping things purposely cluttered. Easier for me to find things when displayed and also my oddities get lost in the details. :D

Reading the first sentences of your post, I was going to ask if you took any safety precautions in storing them, and then you answered my question. :) I wasn't even thinking of kids; in an episode I was watching of 'It Takes a Thief' (Ex-thiefs rob a house with the owner's consent to show its weak points) one of the family members said that what he saw them do made him want to have a gun, and one of the ex-thieves said "But then the burglar would have a gun". The implication was that with the over all lousy security inside this guy's home, odds are the gun would be equally vulnerable, and it would be real easy for the burglar to find and take it.

This raises a very good point, one that a lot of gun owners do not understand. Security is important. The implications of having a firearm stolen goes far beyond just the lose of the gun. Bad people steal things and bad people do bad things with guns.

This raises a very good point, one that a lot of gun owners do not understand. Security is important. The implications of having a firearm stolen goes far beyond just the lose of the gun. Bad people steal things and bad people do bad things with guns.
I don't care about guns one way or another. I've got way too many other things going on for another distraction.
Quite a few people I know are gun dealers, or gun hoarders. One of them wasn't at all concerned about having his hoard in a safe. He'd stash them in the rafters, or anywhere he could find. He found out the hard way that they were walking out the back door and being sold on the street. The way he found out about it made the state news, if not the national news. A few years later now, time served, and long story short, everything has worked out ok for him, so far. We were just joking the other day how he looks at guns at the pawn shop differently now (trying to find his missing ones). On a serious note, all of his liberated guns are still on the street waiting to turn up one way or another, and when something does happen, he will have some explaining to do.

I remember asking my grandmother to buy me books on astronnomy, but not to tell anyone about it. I don't know why I did this. I was very reserved, not very talkative an didn't want people asking me questions like "why have you got all those books" or "why do you like astronomy?" I didn't share much or talk to other people much and wanted to keep these things to myself. I also hated it when people made a fuss over something I was doing.

I had this happen to family. The dad had died, and he had always kept his guns (18!) in a glass front case with a wimpy barrel lock on it. After his passing, I recommended they get a gun safe if they were going to leave them on the property. Instead they bought trigger locks for them all. A few weeks later, the house was broken into and nothing but the guns were stolen (house was in the countryside near a small town) the relatives of his lady friend were suspected. Nothing ever turned up, no one ever charged, but those guns are out there registered as stolen.

Sorry to hijack the post.

I guess it could be a lesson in proper care and storage of any of your "odd stuff" and that includes who you allow to see it. That is why I always kept my "odd stuff" (drawings, writing, poems) in hardbound sketchbooks when I was young. Nothing too suspicious about that.

Things changed as I got older, and the odd stuff started spilling out.

You got my attention, I want a WWII 1911 so bad that I can hardly stand it. The fact that your father had it in "The Big War" makes it really, really special. That is one you will want to keep in the family. I have a 1911, but it is a newer one and is not a Colt.

I too have a CCW, but rarely carry. The biggest reason that I have one is that it makes buying and selling firearms much easier.

I commend you for teaching your son to be responsible with firearms. That is VERY important.
The cool thing about it is that as I learned later, it's not a Colt, it was made by Ithaca. I had thought all WWII Era 45s were Colts.

New Threads

Top Bottom