• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Thoughts as An Autistic Queer Person

At the most basic level, gender is a social construct

I would love it if you could elaborate on that point more for me.
I don't understand gender as a social construct.
I see it as biology at it's most basic, and in the case of gender dysphoria, I guess psychology. Where the mind doesn't agree with the biological gender.
How does it become a social construct?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 86
I would love it if you could elaborate on that point more for me.
I don't understand gender as a social construct.
I see it as biology at it's most basic, and in the case of gender dysphoria, I guess psychology. Where the mind doesn't agree with the biological gender.
How does it become a social construct?

Sex is biology. Gender is based partly in a bunch of neuroscience that I don't even pretend to understand, but one look at how gender has been handled in different times and cultures throughout the world makes it fairly obvious that there's a strong social component to understanding and expression of gender.

Sex is biology. Gender is based partly in a bunch of neuroscience that I don't even pretend to understand, but one look at how gender has been handled in different times and cultures throughout the world makes it fairly obvious that there's a strong social component to understanding and expression of gender.

I think I have a separation between what an individual identifies as their gender (the neuroscience part), and a culture/society's perception of gender, or gender roles, or expected expression of gender.
Perhaps this is a function of the disconnect I have with society.

I think I have a separation between what an individual identifies as their gender (the neuroscience part), and a culture/society's perception of gender, or gender roles, or expected expression of gender.

Sir I’ll have to agree with you, so I must also have a disconnect of society.

You pretty much nailed it.

Of course my gender identity is a wishy washy mess. I'd call myself two-spirit, because it fits better than anything I've found, but I don't want to be seen as appropriating the term. So I go with non-binary.

Ok this is fascinating, and confusing too. Is there a well regarded and widely accepted online resource to learn about all this? There are sooo many results on a topic search

New Threads

Top Bottom