• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

multiple dating partners?

NTgirl4276

okay, I've hesitated posting this question because I've been afraid it would make me feel even more foolish than I already do, but my brain won't stop thinking about this, apparently.

to all the lovely male Aspies on AC (and any other Aspies who may want to respond with their thoughts/observations): have you ever dated more than one person at a time?

full disclosure. I'm asking because I recently found out that the spectrum man I was dating for four months told me he was also dating another woman, too. I haven't seen or talked to him since because 1) it scared me, because I really like him and interpreted it as him not liking me similarly in return; and 2) it made me feel incredibly dumb. I suddenly realized that his lack of initiative might not be due to his being on the spectrum, but (to resort to cliche) him "just not being that into me."

if anyone is willing to offer a quick response, I would really appreciate it. right now, I've made a promise to myself that I won't reach out to him; that I'll wait for him to contact me because I need SOME indication that he actively wants to keep dating. but I'm also slightly broken-hearted, because I know he probably won't, and I won't ever see or speak to him again.

he made my soul feel delightful and unusual things.

to all the lovely male Aspies on AC (and any other Aspies who may want to respond with their thoughts/observations): have you ever dated more than one person at a time?

full disclosure. I'm asking because I recently found out that the spectrum man I was dating for four months told me he was also dating another woman, too. I haven't seen or talked to him since because 1) it scared me, because I really like him and interpreted it as him not liking me similarly in return; and 2) it made me feel incredibly dumb. I suddenly realized that his lack of initiative might not be due to his being on the spectrum, but (to resort to cliche) him "just not being that into me."

Are you kidding? It's difficult enough finding one woman to date. :confused:

This is a matter of match level of commitment. He appears not to be matching yours; dating multiple potential partners is common if you don't think that it's Commitment Time. This isn't necessarily a matter of right or wrong, just a difference in how two humans act.

okay, I've hesitated posting this question because I've been afraid it would make me feel even more foolish than I already do, but my brain won't stop thinking about this, apparently.

if anyone is willing to offer a quick response, I would really appreciate it. right now, I've made a promise to myself that I won't reach out to him; that I'll wait for him to contact me because I need SOME indication that he actively wants to keep dating. but I'm also slightly broken-hearted, because I know he probably won't, and I won't ever see or speak to him again.

he made my soul feel delightful and unusual things.

A long time ago yes, I would date two people at a time. My lifestyle made it easy to maintain, also my idea of a 'relationship' was very different back then. Not a part of my life I am proud of.

Are you kidding? It's difficult enough finding one woman to date. :confused:

This is a matter of match level of commitment. He appears not to be matching yours; dating multiple potential partners is common if you don't think that it's Commitment Time. This isn't necessarily a matter of right or wrong, just a difference in how two humans act.

makes perfect sense, thanks Flinty and AsheSkyler! it struck me as sort of strange that he'd be dating multiple people at once (given his busy schedule, shyness, intense lack of communication initiative, etc.), but obviously NTs date multiple partners all the time. I guess this is one of those things that can be universally understood regardless of neurological differences--part of me was hoping it wasn't.

silly me, if I was so enamored with him, of course other women probably are, too :rolleyes:

A long time ago yes, I would date two people at a time. My lifestyle made it easy to maintain, also my idea of a 'relationship' was very different back then. Not a part of my life I am proud of.

like Flinty said, it's not necessarily a matter of right or wrong, so I hope you don't metaphorically beat yourself up too much about this. regardless, I bet the upcoming chapter of your life will certainly be something to be proud of! ;)

like Flinty said, it's not necessarily a matter of right or wrong, so I hope you don't metaphorically beat yourself up too much about this. regardless, I bet the upcoming chapter of your life will certainly be something to be proud of! ;)

I stopped beating myself up when karma took its toll ;)

And yes, I am certainly proud now :)

I couldn't imagine dating more than one person at a time.

But then I can't imagine dating either. It's a social convention that just doesn't work for me. Too contrived....too stressful.

I make friends with people I like. If I like them even more, then I'll pursue the idea of a relationship. For me it's a linear process where emotions and intentions are more transparent. No games...no social expectations or rituals.

NTgirl, he is lucky to have some of your attention. I am always impressed by how considerate, kind, and good-hearted you are here. Perhaps you might ask him about how he feels about you, your relationship-- and about juggling two relationships at once? It might be good and informative to get more details of his side of things. Perhaps he doesn't see the relationship as being at the same stage you do. Or, maybe he's just not a one-woman kinda guy.

Me? Date more than one person at a time? Hah! :tonguewink:

I am the female version of...

I have but it was always just for a short time in a transistion. I don't think I could focus on two people at the same time for very long.

Btw, I agree with your approach to the guy. Even with a Aspie I would still trust your senses and let him give some evidence to the contrary before going back to it.

Ok, I am not a male aspie, but you did say that anyone of us can answer and thus, this 'ere female aspie will and with a heart full of pain for you!

When a guy or girl is dating more than one, sadly it does mean that the heart has not been touched!

makes perfect sense, thanks Flinty and AsheSkyler! it struck me as sort of strange that he'd be dating multiple people at once (given his busy schedule, shyness, intense lack of communication initiative, etc.), but obviously NTs date multiple partners all the time. I guess this is one of those things that can be universally understood regardless of neurological differences--part of me was hoping it wasn't.
What always confused me is when people were considered "exclusive", and thus, there's a period where it's okay to date multiple people. My mom never could really explain it to me. I'm a very simple varmint. If there is a lot of interest and flirting there then you're mine after the first date. Forget about me ever dating multiples at once or anything that looked like having more than one boyfriend, that would tax my social reserves way too much! :confused:

There were girls I liked as a kid, but was always too shy to ask one on a date (even when everyone knew), let alone two. So I never did the dating game. I just ended up marrying my best friend instead.

(this will sound rude, i dont mean it as a rude thing)........ as others have mentioned, i too am very surprised (to the point of jealous) that he's even able to get 2 people to date him at the same time. i've had 2 girlfriends in my life, 1 only lasted about a week.. and a couple girls i "dated" online (back in the days of AOL, never actually met any of them.. still, 1 person at a time)

anyway, that aside...... i was never really counted as a guy, so i got a lot of girls complaining about guys to me..... and, generally speaking, a person dating 2 (or more) people at 1 time isn't very uncommon. especially if they're under 20ish. the reason i was always given was that they did not consider it a serious relationship until it got to a certain point (usually something physical or after a certain period of time)

i can't really defend the action because i don't believe in it. everybody has their own thing for everything and thats the best i can chalk it up to. myself, if i have an interest in somebody (even without knowing if they're interested in me) i don't gain an interest in a 2nd person. or, if they're interested in somebody else (not even dating.. they just like somebody) then i almost instantly lose interest in them. so if i was to actually date somebody, pretty much anything else that happened (feelings or physical) registers as a form of rape in my mind and most people have the same feelings on rape (in 1 word.. "bad")

but, i took the whole concept of "love" 1 step further. in japanese they have different words for "love" based on if it's towards an animal or pet (i love my cat), an action (i love this vacation), or different levels of personal interaction (loving your family isn't the same as loving a girlfriend)...... but since we only have 1 word, i had to pick 1 meaning. so, i put it with the girlfriend meaning. that's not to say i dont care for/about the others, i can say "i love the kitty" to my cat because i know she doesn't really know wtf i'm saying exactly anyway and it's still not very often. but i never "love" what i'm doing or eating or where i am.. and i can't say "i love you" in a genuine tone to my family (i hate saying it at all.. so i reserve it for times when i really think my family needs to hear it). but, as i said, i still care about them and respect them (or aspects.. my family is pretty ****ed up

thank you so much, everyone, for your replies! it's so nice to have people to talk to and weigh in about this; I tend to contain my problems/concerns in my own brain, rather than asking for advice or help from friends, and i'm realizing that that may not always be the ideal path to take.

I couldn't imagine dating more than one person at a time.

But then I can't imagine dating either. It's a social convention that just doesn't work for me. Too contrived....too stressful.

I make friends with people I like. If I like them even more, then I'll pursue the idea of a relationship. For me it's a linear process where emotions and intentions are more transparent. No games...no social expectations or rituals.

Believe me, I hate dating also. I agree that it's stressful, and also spectacularly exhausting! I did my best to throw out the social expectations and rituals associated with dating with him, partly because I had to (I don't think he adheres to them either) but mostly because I prefer it, but... the transparency of emotions and intentions (on his part) was certainly missing.

NTgirl, he is lucky to have some of your attention. I am always impressed by how considerate, kind, and good-hearted you are here. Perhaps you might ask him about how he feels about you, your relationship-- and about juggling two relationships at once? It might be good and informative to get more details of his side of things. Perhaps he doesn't see the relationship as being at the same stage you do. Or, maybe he's just not a one-woman kinda guy.

Warmheart, you ALWAYS live up to your lovely username. thank you so much. as a sidenote, I always LOVE your gifs and images. They always make me laugh. so, thank you for that, too! :)

I really, really, really wish I had been able to form sentences with my brain and mouth and ask these questions in the moment. when I asked him if he was actively dating and he told me yes, one other woman, I was immediately saddened and felt dumb and just stopped talking. I didn't follow up with any questions, like the ones you propose, and I definitely should have. I think I was afraid to open my mouth for fear that I might do something ridiculous, like cry (which I rarely, if ever, do in front of other people). It did strike me as strange, though, that he did not say anything else either. No more elaboration, and he didn't even ask me if I was seeing anyone else. I interpreted this as him not really caring if I was or wasn't.

Now, weeks have passed, and I'm afraid that too much time has gone by. And, with the passage of time, I'm increasingly convinced that he's indifferent towards me. Sigh, I wish I had had your voice in my head at the time!!

I have but it was always just for a short time in a transistion. I don't think I could focus on two people at the same time for very long.

Btw, I agree with your approach to the guy. Even with a Aspie I would still trust your senses and let him give some evidence to the contrary before going back to it.

I agree entirely. I've never dated more than one person at a time. When we only have so much time and energy at our disposal, I can't imagine trying to devote both to multiple people. And, thank you for your vote of confidence re: my approach for now. I've been so conflicted by it, but you're right that its my senses/intuition that has steeled my resolve thus far. If I had even a tiny shred of evidence to the contrary, I would jump at the chance to see him again and even ask the questions that Warmhearted suggested.

Ok, I am not a male aspie, but you did say that anyone of us can answer and thus, this 'ere female aspie will and with a heart full of pain for you!

When a guy or girl is dating more than one, sadly it does mean that the heart has not been touched!

thank you for your input, Suzanne! And, for your compassion. I really appreciate it! Sadly, I think you are very, very right.

What always confused me is when people were considered "exclusive", and thus, there's a period where it's okay to date multiple people. My mom never could really explain it to me. I'm a very simple varmint. If there is a lot of interest and flirting there then you're mine after the first date. Forget about me ever dating multiples at once or anything that looked like having more than one boyfriend, that would tax my social reserves way too much! :confused:

This confuses me also! Dating multiple people is so taxing. And, if I like someone enough to reallocate time/energy that I usually devote to my other beloved humans and my own self-care to spend time with someone and get to know him, then I must like him A LOT. And if I like him A LOT, I'm distracted enough by him that I stop noticing other men.

Plus, I can't date multiple people at a time because then I would subconsciously start comparing them to one another, and actively comparing two (or more!) complex human beings, weighing their pros and cons for my own benefit, seems cruel and unfair to me.

There were girls I liked as a kid, but was always too shy to ask one on a date (even when everyone knew), let alone two. So I never did the dating game. I just ended up marrying my best friend instead.

This makes me smile, zurb, because I've recently realized how endearing and humble shyness can be. he is actually very shy. After a year of noticing him around the gym, it was me who finally got the courage to say hello (he was the first man I have ever approached first!). He told me later that he was glad I did, because he never would have--and that he generally doesn't ever pursue women. Apparently he only dates if a woman comes after him, or if his friends set him up.

(this will sound rude, i dont mean it as a rude thing)........ as others have mentioned, i too am very surprised (to the point of jealous) that he's even able to get 2 people to date him at the same time. i've had 2 girlfriends in my life, 1 only lasted about a week.. and a couple girls i "dated" online (back in the days of AOL, never actually met any of them.. still, 1 person at a time)

anyway, that aside...... i was never really counted as a guy, so i got a lot of girls complaining about guys to me..... and, generally speaking, a person dating 2 (or more) people at 1 time isn't very uncommon. especially if they're under 20ish. the reason i was always given was that they did not consider it a serious relationship until it got to a certain point (usually something physical or after a certain period of time)

i can't really defend the action because i don't believe in it. everybody has their own thing for everything and thats the best i can chalk it up to. myself, if i have an interest in somebody (even without knowing if they're interested in me) i don't gain an interest in a 2nd person. or, if they're interested in somebody else (not even dating.. they just like somebody) then i almost instantly lose interest in them.

not rude at all, ChrisC1983! thanks for sharing your thoughts. i agree with you about only being interested in one person at a time, but I think you're right that we're in the minority. A lot of people, particularly my age, date more than one person. i guess i was hoping that it is really uncommon for male Aspies, and that perhaps there might be something going on other than "he's just not that into you." Like you, I don't believe there's something necessarily wrong with dating multiple partners; I just personally am incapable of it. Part of me is jealous that he is able to, too, haha!

I did my best to throw out the social expectations and rituals associated with dating with him, partly because I had to (I don't think he adheres to them either) but mostly because I prefer it, but... the transparency of emotions and intentions (on his part) was certainly missing.

Exactly. As was the case of myself in the one blind date I elected to go on. Not surprising, I simply froze up on so many levels. And of course I heard about it all after the fact from the mutual friend at work who set it up. Making it that much more painful.

Like so many social situations, this was far beyond simple shyness. It's just a social scenario I can't properly navigate. Where "practice" won't ever make perfect. I just shut down in such overtly contrived situations. It's who and what I am. :(

I'm not advocating against dating. Just pointing out that I can't do it. For me it might as well be a trait or behavior I can't neurologically overcome. Something mysteriously beyond mere attitude for me. And likely it's a major factor in why I'm completely alone at my age.

This is only my feeling and I appreciate that people can feel differently and that doesn't make one right and another wrong..
I would not be able to date two women at the same time - first, I need to feel an emotional connection with someone to be able to form a relationship in the first place; second, it would feel to me as if I were disrespecting both women by, essentially, deceiving each into believing I cared for them at any level and to become aware of feelings toward me such as yours are toward him would wrack me with guilt.. I'd feel like a liar and a betrayer, unless both were aware of - and happy with - the arrangement.

NTGirl, it is possible that he does indeed like you, but he may have had feelings for the other girl long before he met you. Maybe he likes you, but likes her more and he knows that she is okay with him dating someone else. Maybe this other girl has multiple boyfriends. Take it from me, if you're the kind of person like I am that gets attached; it's best if you find someone that is okay with just dating you.

This confuses me also! Dating multiple people is so taxing. And, if I like someone enough to reallocate time/energy that I usually devote to my other beloved humans and my own self-care to spend time with someone and get to know him, then I must like him A LOT. And if I like him A LOT, I'm distracted enough by him that I stop noticing other men.

Plus, I can't date multiple people at a time because then I would subconsciously start comparing them to one another, and actively comparing two (or more!) complex human beings, weighing their pros and cons for my own benefit, seems cruel and unfair to me.
Oh, tell me about it! I couldn't handle it the one and only time I had two guys flirting with me a bit, forget about being a smooth juggler and actually dating them both at the same time. The "Love Stinks" was my theme song during that.

New Threads

Top Bottom