• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mom needs a bit of help

Ame568

Sorry if this isn't allowed in this topic but my mom needs help, she wants to hear (well read) why you guys don't support Autism Speaks since most people she talks to supports/works for them and she said that if it weren't for them my nephew/nibbling wouldn't be getting the help he needs. If you make it a list as to why you don't support them it'd help her understand a lot easier.
(By list I mean like:
Or

•)
Thanks for reading and thanks to those who help!

For many of us here it is because we don't live in the US and we've never heard of it. Many of us do support organisations in our own countries though.

1. https://autisticadvocacy.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/AutismSpeaksFlyer2020.pdf

2. The Autist Papers: The problem with Autism Speaks

3. Autism Speaks - Wikipedia

In a "nutshell", Autism Speaks has had some bad public relations and there is some evidence to suggest that relatively few dollars actually makes it to autism families. Do they have some good contributors and information? Yes, but not always. I pick and choose my information and have used articles posted on Autism Speaks when appropriate, but they are down on my list of resources.

It's possible they have reformed recently, but a while back, perhaps a decade ago, they said awful things. They continually expressed great pity for parents who are cursed by the tragedy of an autistic child. And they had no autistic people on their board. That was all I knew about it, but I never spent a lot of time looking into it. Many people also object to the logo of a puzzle piece, disliking the implications. They find us puzzling? Well, we find them puzzling.

"Nothing About Us Without Us” means that autistic people need to be involved whenever autism is discussed. When non-autistic people make decisions about autism without Autistic input, those decisions are usually bad. This makes it harder for us to get by in the world. Decisions about autism need to be made with autistic people. That way, we can make policies that help us live our lives, and teach people how to be understanding and supportive of the autistic community."

-Their motto. Not that of "Autism Speaks", but rather the Autistic Self Advocacy Network (ASAN).

Autistic people advancing the needs of other autistic people. A dynamic that seldom happens with "Autism Speaks", which to many of us exists as an advocacy organization that serves primarily neurotypical parents of autistic children.

Last edited:
FWIW, I'm completely indifferent towards them. So just answering to your part about "you guys" not supporting them.

Started by people with no idea of what they were doing and then merged with other like minded organizations.
Spent most there money on research looking for a cure and identifying the genetic signature (which could be used in a eugenic capacity).
Spent (wasted) a lot of money researching if vaccinations caused autism.
Pay there execs 400-700k and have the worst dollar to mission stats of any major autism organization (70%)

New Threads

Top Bottom