• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Me doing some music

Levitator

I did "The Way I Am" again in a lower key, and you won't notice it, but I think it sounds better. I'll post this stuff for critique and discussion of music studies if people are interested, but not if it's found spammy or bothersome.

I started listening last night, my Sunday night, but, got called away. So I just now listened. The song seems to suit you but I'd be interested to hear it in a lower key, because it might sound a little more effortless, if it's more comfortably your range.
I think it important to focus on feeling the music and not worry so much about projecting your voice, but maybe that's because I cut my vocalist teeth behind a microphone.
That's my constructive critique, from an experienced vocalists point of view.
I do like the qualities of your voice, but, I think you can develop more dynamic use of your voice by getting into the emotionality, the inner sense of what you are singing about and how you feel about it.
It's a powerful song, a powerful sentiment, and I think it suits you as a person, from what I know of you.
I like how it's about acceptance and standing in your own uniqueness and that is a great place of personal empowerment.
Perhaps if you practised playing a little quieter you could relax on needing to project your voice so much. Let it emerge, instead of pushing it out.

If none of what I'm saying resonates, feel free to total disregard whatever I say. I won't be offended.

I started listening last night, my Sunday night, but, got called away. So I just now listened. The song seems to suit you but I'd be interested to hear it in a lower key, because it might sound a little more effortless, if it's more comfortably your range.
I think it important to focus on feeling the music and not worry so much about projecting your voice, but maybe that's because I cut my vocalist teeth behind a microphone.
I do like the qualities of your voice, but, I think you can develop more dynamic use of your voice by getting into the emotionality, the inner sense of what you are singing about and how you feel about it.
It's a powerful song, a powerful sentiment, and I think it suits you as a person, from what I know of you.
I like how it's about acceptance and standing in your own uniqueness and that is a great place of personal empowerment.
Perhaps if you practised playing a little quieter you could relax on needing to project your voice so much. Let it emerge, instead of pushing it out.

If none of what I'm saying resonates, feel free to total disregard whatever I say. I won't be offended.
No, it's ok. It's a little frustrating because it feels like exactly what I've been doing, but music is like that; you're never finished with a single facet, and then you never run out of things to fix either. I agree there is detail that is missing, but I think I wanted to get what I've got right, and then add the bends and subtle notes that are missing. I wanted to at least get the overall sketch of the song right.

I am very much attached to this song, it's very personal, and like I've said, my list of favorite songs only numbers around 300 songs, and most of them feel just as personal, and often starting long after I got attached to them, so I feel it confirms Socrates declaration that music is divinely inspired.

Oh, and yes, in my head, I'm throwing myself into the feeling of the song, and then when I play it back, it's like; who is that boring guy, and give him a cup of coffee for God's sake. But I think that's the classic problem that we are giving everything to precision and to get it "right" and then there is no steam left for the feeling, but I keep trying to practice and improve anyway.

Oh, and yes, in my head, I'm throwing myself into the feeling of the song, and then when I play it back, it's like; who is that boring guy, and give him a cup of coffee for God's sake. But I think that's the classic problem that we are giving everything to precision and to get it "right" and then there is no steam left for the feeling, but I keep trying to practice and improve anyway.
You do consistently inject your passion and vitality into your playing and singing and I think it's awesome!
It's by no means a "bad" performance in any way, shape, or form. I was just being nitpicky as you mentioned "critique" and so I did.

The beautiful thing about being musician is that there is no end to "improvement" and skill development.
Having said that, I used to find, when recording my own songs, that I would get really nitpicky about a recording, and try and improve on it, but invariably, the first take would be the best, because it would be fresh, real, and less contrived, than me getting caught up iny head and thinking I could make it "more perfect". Because art isn't about perfection, it's more about authentic self expression, in my opinion.

You do consistently inject your passion and vitality into your playing and singing and I think it's awesome!
It's by no means a "bad" performance in any way, shape, or form. I was just being nitpicky as you mentioned "critique" and so I did.

The beautiful thing about being musician is that there is no end to "improvement" and skill development.
Having said that, I used to find, when recording my own songs, that I would get really nitpicky about a recording, and try and improve on it, but invariably, the first take would be the best, because it would be fresh, real, and less contrived, than me getting caught up iny head and thinking I could make it "more perfect". Because art isn't about perfection, it's more about authentic self expression, in my opinion

There are definitely curves involved and a point of diminishing returns. The first attempts are more natural and spontaneous, and the later ones are an investment in practicing and refinement for when you try again later.

Yeah, I can't add any more emotional energy without thrashing my vocal chords and going totally overboard, but maybe that's the feeling I have to share.

I don't think it sucks at all! I thought it was authentic and raw! Both of which are things I like and admire in a musican/singer!

Yeah, I can't add any more emotional energy without thrashing my vocal chords and going totally overboard, but maybe that's the feeling I have to share.
I wouldn't want to be one who encourages you to damage your vocal cords. I used to sing with a lady (now deceased) who had to have an operation to remove "nodes" from her vocal chords because she didn't have vocal technique that protected her voice box.
Overdoing it is definitely counterproductive, when it gets to that point.
I've certainly sung (and screamed) to the point of pain though and never had those kinds of issues.
I really like that you're cutting loose and just going for it though! Nothing wrong with a cathartic, emotive, performance, it loosens things up and is not only good for the soul, but it's cathartic for your audience, as well. "Mirror neurons" and all that jazz.

Well, I'm drenched in sweat, so I didn't bother to do a better take. I smell bad. I need a shower. I haven't eaten, and I'm so depressed it feels like I need to climb a mountain just to start my day. It's 1pm, by the way. Feel welcome to say hi. I humiliate myself so that you don't feel like you have a standard to live up to. We don't really have any such. We're just told that a lot. Be weird at me. I like talking to people.

Dear heart,
No negative say, keep inspiring in a tough world. Sell your talent.
Humble Kayla

It's not for sale which is lucky, since nobody is buying. That's sweet, though.
Confidence sells in this world whether for sale or just to be. Even if it's good and people sense doubt it's like ask why and then it's like trying to sell too cheap...people immediately think something wrong.
I wish I knew now what I know when I started out, could've improved my chances

Maybe easier for men to be good musicians, notice females try to copy styles but hardly have expression when do covers.

Confidence sells in this world whether for sale or just to be. Even if it's good and people sense doubt it's like ask why and then it's like trying to sell too cheap...people immediately think something wrong.
I wish I knew now what I know when I started out, could've improved my chances

Maybe easier for men to be good musicians, notice females try to copy styles but hardly have expression when do covers.
I really love Katie Crutchfield. No Lada Gaga, no Madonna. She looks like she picked a hairstyle she can roll out of bed with and doesn't have time for makeup. Sometimes it's just her, her guitar, a microphone, and maybe a tambourine.

I really love Katie Crutchfield. No Lada Gaga, no Madonna. She looks like she picked a hairstyle she can roll out of bed with and doesn't have time for makeup. Sometimes it's just her, her guitar, a microphone, and maybe a tambourine.
Almost read as Katie meluah (piece by piece) listened to your Katie and ye, she's good.
Think women too influenced by jazz and try sound sassy and like I said ....
This one's evil, but still today influence for sexy exists.....not sure if said this right

Almost read as Katie meluah (piece by piece) listened to your Katie and ye, she's good.
Think women too influenced by jazz and try sound sassy and like I said ....
This one's evil, but still today influence for sexy exists.....not sure if said this right

Not a fan of evil myself. There are many self-righteous people who lie to cause wars. They have a great incentive to claim that others are evil, as it's how they reward themselves. It's a profound sin, and the work of a slanderer.

New Threads

Top Bottom