• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Louie CK and his apology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia

V.I.P Member

Long ago, I realized that the reason I liked Louis CK's form of comedy and other similar comedians, was because he blurted our original and even thoughtful jokes. No matter how surprising or or shocking. He didn't seem so affected by the rules of society, or how he was supposed to act. It appeared as if he viewed the world from another perspective, or from many. Very much like I do.

He also seemed to be missing certain abilities when it came to interacting with people. This and other indicators led me to believe that Louis CK is autistic. Here is some background on his recent difficulties.

Comedian Louis CK has said that allegations against him by several women of sexual misconduct are true and he has apologized for his actions.

“These stories are true,” he said in a statement.
Five women detailed sexual misconduct allegations against the Emmy-winning comedian in a New York Times report, including three women who said he had masturbated in front of them. The allegations dated back 15 years.

These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was O.K. because I never showed a woman my d*** without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your d*** isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly. I have been remorseful of my actions.

And I’ve tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions....

I’ve brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother.

I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen...

Read Louis CK’s statement admitting to sexual harassment allegations in full

=========================================================

So very much like the honest and artless person he is as a comedian, he's admitted what he did and apologized, if you read the original article though, he talks about the impact of his behaviour on others, not on himself so much.

"There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with. I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work."

Would you forgive him for his behaviour? And the impact that he had on the women he did this to?

I have been thinking about this myself.
About the circumstances and so on.

Before this was common news, I thought the expression
on his face seemed like he felt bad about himself (guilty).
Sometimes in his routines he'd say he was a bad person,
or did bad things.

I hope he keeps making comedy.
A lot of his routines I have laughed at.

I wondered what I would have done, if I'd been one of the women.
I think I probably would have said no, thanks-----
unless we were in a relationship, which it appears he was not,
with any of the females.

I don't feel inclined to condemn him.

Before this was common news, I thought the expression
on his face seemed like he felt bad about himself (guilty). Sometimes in his routines he'd say he was a bad person, or did bad things.

"Art imitating life". Kind of sad. I see your point.

Personally I see the entire Hollywood system as one big nest of hypocrisy, routinely pandering to socially liberal politicians while perpetuating a system of sexism and abuse of its most precious assets. I don't expect powerful people who abuse others to necessarily stop, but the system itself should stop protecting such violators.

If that "institutional veil" suddenly disappears, it may limit such offenders to primarily those with a pathological propensity towards criminal sexual intent. Where criminal courts may not appreciate their sudden and orchestrated acts of contrition.

Though where personalities like Louis C. K. may fit into the equation I cannot say.

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't forgive anyone who's done something like this. I, again personally, believe that it would likely become apparent that this sort of behaviour is unacceptable before getting to like, the fifth woman.

Looks like the axe already fell on Louis about an hour ago. FX has dropped him completely from all his shows.

Louis C.K. dumped by FX from all his shows

Network executives are quick to throw their entertainers under the bus. Damage control. But I wonder how they'll handle more of their own like Harvey Weinstein? Hmmmm.

Last edited:
I thought the expression
on his face seemed like he felt bad about himself (guilty).
Sometimes in his routines he'd say he was a bad person,
or did bad things.

Now that you've mentioned it, I've recalled that he does have a mischievous 'little boy' grin. Much like a six year old friend who had a similar look on his face, when he urinated while jumping up and down on a piece of wood made into a diving board. At the time, I was surprised, but like everyone else thought it was funny too. Like Louis CK he had red hair, and his comedy somehow reminds me of the boy from my childhood.

Long ago, I realized that the reason I liked Louis CK's form of comedy and other similar comedians, was because he blurted our original and even thoughtful jokes. No matter how surprising or or shocking. He didn't seem so affected by the rules of society, or how he was supposed to act. It appeared as if he viewed the world from another perspective, or from many. Very much like I do.

He also seemed to be missing certain abilities when it came to interacting with people. This and other indicators led me to believe that Louis CK is autistic. Here is some background on his recent difficulties.

Comedian Louis CK has said that allegations against him by several women of sexual misconduct are true and he has apologized for his actions.

“These stories are true,” he said in a statement.
Five women detailed sexual misconduct allegations against the Emmy-winning comedian in a New York Times report, including three women who said he had masturbated in front of them. The allegations dated back 15 years.

These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was O.K. because I never showed a woman my d*** without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your d*** isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly. I have been remorseful of my actions.

And I’ve tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions....

I’ve brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother.

I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen...

Read Louis CK’s statement admitting to sexual harassment allegations in full

=========================================================

So very much like the honest and artless person he is as a comedian, he's admitted what he did and apologized, if you read the original article though, he talks about the impact of his behaviour on others, not on himself so much.

"There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with. I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work."

Would you forgive him for his behaviour? And the impact that he had on the women he did this to?

If a person says they are aware they were wrong but only apologise when they are called out/caught, then I am not likely to take their apology as genuine. He's just sorry he got caught, if he truly felt bad enough about it he wouldn't have done it to begin with.

Yeah, at least he’s not a d**k who shows no remorse.
How genuine is the remorse though if he only expresses it once he's caught? It seems to me like he's only sorry he got caught, not really sorry for being a sexual harasser/assaulter for all this time. If he feels so bad, why didn't he try to stop or get some help for himself instead of just continuing to be a sexual predator? The answer is that he didn't want to stop.

I'm conflicted.
On the one hand, the naive, sometimes-holding-faith-in-humanity Aspie in me wants to believe the apology is genuine, because maybe he didn't realize how wrong it was until it all came out. But on the other hand, when there were allegations made last year (I think?), he made a point not to address those, saying that addressing the rumors would give them more life, and that's not exactly how I expect someone who is wrongfully accused to behave. I mean, if I had something like that said about me, and it weren't true, you'd better believe I would want to clear my name. Likewise, if it were true, I wouldn't be laying low and hoping that the storm passes, I'd own up to it and apologize. And try to start something to affect some actual change, whether it's a donation or creating a foundation to educate my fellow colleagues on how not to perpetrate harassment (hmm, come to think of it, I don't think any of the current big shots have tried to make amends that way yet, have they?).
I'm conflicted on the sincerity of the apology, too. Can't tell if he realizes what he caused and is truly sorry, or if it's baloney and nothing more than a PR stunt. The guy writes for a living, so he will have a superior way with words, and will know how to craft something that creates emotion, hence I wouldn't focus on the quality of the text (it is one well-written apology, compared to others) to determine how genuine it is.
Now, I was discussing this with my boyfriend today (he's the one in our couple who is the best judge of character, I'm the one you could sell a fridge to in the middle of winter in Alaska), and he was very surprised, while I was not. The root of the surprise? The self-deprecating material, pointing out flaws in men & stuff, that made it seem like he was delivering an acid criticism of society. And... I dunno. There's a reason the saying "hidden in plain sight" exists. Who knows? Maybe he was confessing on stage all this time, and once backstage scoff thinking "Look at all these dummies, I'm telling them what I'm getting away with, and they haven't got a clue". That would be some very manipulative, pervert behavior, though. But also, some people who know deep down that they did something wrong WILL actually subconsciously put themselves in enough danger to get caught so that they can put an end to their behavior, so maybe that was a sick call for help from a predator?

On a lighter note:
Yeah, at least he’s not a d**k who shows no remorse.
No, no place for remorse, he was too busy showing the other noun in your phrase. :p

There's a reason the saying "hidden in plain sight" exists. Who knows? Maybe he was confessing on stage all this time, and once backstage scoff thinking "Look at all these dummies, I'm telling them what I'm getting away with, and they haven't got a clue". That would be some very manipulative, pervert behavior, though.

It happens.

Consider Robert Hanssen. That was what motivated him in his crime. He reveled in being the head of the FBI's counter-intelligence division while feeding classified documents to the Russians for years. Perhaps the ultimate example of someone "hiding in plain sight".

Perhaps this sort of thing is even a bigger rush for them than inflicting their sexual urges on unsuspecting fans. Grim stuff. Yes- highly manipulative. :eek:

How fast this is all panning out. Looks like the latest name to add is Star Trek's George Takei.

Just a few hours ago I also heard that "ER" star Anthony Edwards claimed a producer had molested him that put him into therapy for years.

George Takei Accused of Sexually Assaulting Former Model in 1981

Makes me wonder if Congress is going to get mixed up in hearings over this sort of thing. But then they have their own skeletons in their closet as well. Ugh. o_O

Last edited:
You know, as I was editing my comment for a typo, I thought "Oh, maybe I should also add that I'm uncomfortable with the turn things are taking, and how there's a new man sent to the chopping block every week to symbolically purge society of the crimes of many more who will go unpunished", but at this rate, it's becoming more of a daily sacrificial ritual.
I still don't think it's going to change much, because most of the facilitators or quiet passive accomplices will still be in place. After all of this winds down post-Oscars, next occasion they get, if they can benefit from it somehow or if the check is fat enough, they're going to shut their mouths again and pretend they didn't see, business as usual, the show must go on, yada yada. But it makes the industry feel better about themselves, so we're in for a bit more.

Last edited:
You know, as I was editing my comment for a typo, I thought "Oh, maybe I should also add that I'm comfortable with the turn things are taking, and how there's a new man sent to the chopping block every week to symbolically purge society of the crimes of many more who will go unpunished", but at this rate, it's becoming more of a daily sacrificial ritual.
I still don't think it's going to change much, because most of the facilitators or quiet passive accomplices will still be in place. After all of this wind downs post-Oscars, next occasion they get, if they can benefit from it somehow or if the check is fat enough, they're going to shut their mouths again and pretend they didn't see, business as usual, the show must go on, yada yada. But it makes the industry feel better about themselves, so we're in for a bit more.
Yup. They will go down , but it's all in Hollywood. What about church, other places, etc....there is a lot of this going on and most victims will never see THEIR perp behind bars. The women who talked were punished before this hit. Now it's safe in Hollywood, but that's it.

It does make me wonder how those high-profile so-called "dream team" attorneys will defend such clients. Whether their "magic" is still good in this angry environment. You just know Harvey Weinstein is going to have someone representing him that a great many have heard of.

Though I wouldn't expect slick jury-selection to be confined to only men. Noooooooooooooooo.

Yup. They will go down , but it's all in Hollywood. What about church, other places, etc....there is a lot of this going on and most victims will never see THEIR perp behind bars. The women who talked were punished before this hit. Now it's safe in Hollywood, but that's it.
Meanwhile, USA gymnastics is involved in a pretty bad sexual assault thing after never removing a doctor accused of rape. On teen girls who went on to win medals like the bada$$es they are, but it's not like anybody seems to care. That was a story that made me cry today, much, much worse and traumatic than "I went for an audition and there was a table for 2 with a candle, so I ran away" (no, I'm not pitting victims against other victims, but I have issues with the proportions some events are given over others).

It happens.

Consider Robert Hanssen. That was what motivated him in his crime. He reveled in being the head of the FBI's counter-intelligence division while feeding classified documents to the Russians for years. Perhaps the ultimate example of someone "hiding in plain sight".

Perhaps this sort of thing is even a bigger rush for them than inflicting their sexual urges on unsuspecting fans. Grim stuff. Yes- highly manipulative. :eek:
I'm currently resisting a very strong urge to go super off topic and ask if you've ever watched The Americans, and if so what you think of it. Fighting that urge really, really hard (or hardly fighting it, it seems).

I'm currently resisting a very strong urge to go super off topic and ask if you've ever watched The Americans, and if so what you think of it. Fighting that urge really, really hard (or hardly fighting it, it seems).

The Americans? :)

Hell it's my favorite show that's still in production. Top of my list!

Dying to find out how it all finally ends. :cool:

Imagine Agent Stan Beeman bringing them both in all on his own. Yes! Or will they simply slip out of the country to go home to a crumbling Soviet state?

Or does Nadeshda kill Stan because Misha can't? Misha was toying about defection in the very first episode as I recall. Nadeshda on the other hand is ideologically dedicated to her country and political system. If she only knew what the future has in store for them all.

And Paige, caught in the middle. Poor kid.

Oops. I went off topic. Back to "special interests" even. My bad. :D

Last edited:
Imagine Agent Stan Beeman bringing them both in all on his own. Yes! Or will they simply slip out of the country to go home to a crumbling Soviet state?

Or does Nadeshda kill Stan because Misha can't? Misha was toying about defection in the very first episode as I recall. Nadeshda on the other hand is ideologically dedicated to her country and political system. If she only knew what the future has in store for them all.

And Paige, caught in the middle. Poor kid.

Oops. I went off topic. Back to "special interests" even. My bad. :D
I think both options are serious contenders for the ending. Then again... they know how to come up with an unexpected twist.

So it could go the opposite way, with Nadezhda realizing how much she has gotten to like life in America and not being so adamant about leaving (but that wouldn't go to well with hierarchy), or Misha losing the qualms he's been having and returning a stronger, more dedicated agent than ever. But as you said, little do they know what's coming a few years from then...

What I really can't picture at the moment is what they have in store for Paige. There's no way the kid was trained as just a page-filler on the script to add some conflict in the storyline, I'm certain she'll be instrumental in something.

Oh, and that girlfriend of Stan's: can't wait to see if she is indeed an agent or not.

My favorite show still in production as well. Up until last week, it was one of my 2 favortie shows still in production, but since the House of Cards was blown like [insert crude joke on Kevin Spacey's attribute], I guess I can only pray that Noah Emmerich and Mathew Rhys have been keeping things civil and consensual.

(Apologies to Mia and our fellow forum mates for this unrelated bit)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom