• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking a lot younger?

Well I'm 42 this year & I don't look that age. Only yesterday someone in the pub commented that they'd thought I was under 35 years old... lol sweet. I guess looking back over the years I was a late developer.. thanks mum 'n' dad. It's unfortunate that we all develope at different rates. I am always amazed when I see someone I grew up with looking older than they are, or very much older than I. Especially when i know i'm older than them.

I look both very young and have an immature sounding "teen like" voice which only makes it worse. I am 26 but am always mistaken for someone under the age of 18.

I look both very young and have an immature sounding "teen like" voice which only makes it worse. I am 26 but am always mistaken for someone under the age of 18.

Same here but I've made it work to my advantage. I watch my niece and nephew and they think it's funny I can still do all kinds of crazy voices and can be just as zany as them at times. Practically ready to be a dad. I'm still surprised people think I'm 15 or 16. The other night I was walking back from work and some guy goes "hey kid you shouldn't be out so late" (I work from 5 to 11) I'm like "dude I'm 20" I really have no desire to want to look older. Besides there are a lot of people in the world who wish they had the Benjamin Button Complex or wish they hadn't ruined theirs with drugs and ****.

Last edited:
Yes I look about 10 years younger. I'm 34 but look about 24. As a man, it's frustrating at times, because people judge me, especially when I was teaching, because my pupils didn't look much younger than me and it seems to result in not being taken as seriously. Some condescending woman once told me I looked like a baby, and I was older than her and more mature mentally than any man she'd probably met.

Same here but I've made it work to my advantage. I watch my niece and nephew and they think it's funny I can still do all kinds of crazy voices and can be just as zany as them at times. Practically ready to be a dad. I'm still surprised people think I'm 15 or 16. The other night I was walking back from work and some guy goes "hey kid you shouldn't be out so late" (I work from 5 to 11) I'm like "dude I'm 20" I really have no desire to want to look older. Besides there are a lot of people in the world who wish they had the Benjamin Button Complex or wish they hadn't ruined theirs with drugs and ****.
i think you hit on something there, a lot of people ruin themselves with drugs and all sorts when they are young, some people i know still come out of it looking young but others are affected much more.

Yes I look about 10 years younger. I'm 34 but look about 24. As a man, it's frustrating at times, because people judge me, especially when I was teaching, because my pupils didn't look much younger than me and it seems to result in not being taken as seriously. Some condescending woman once told me I looked like a baby, and I was older than her and more mature mentally than any man she'd probably met.
i understand totally what you mean ive been called a baby once or twice, a girlfriend who was younger than me once laughed at me when i referred to myself as a man because she thought i still looked like a boy.

Count me in. I've always looked about 10 years younger than my age. At 54 now, weight gain and smoking have aged me more.

Someone just asked me the other day if I was 48, so I guess it's now more like six years younger.

If I'd never smoked, I'd probably look like I was still in my 30's. Pity ...

Oh yes definately. I have always looked at least 10 hours younger then my actual age. :D

Googled my age and gender for images. Nope...I look pretty much par for the course. :eek:

Last edited:
These days you'll find some retailers with corporate policy carding anyone who looks under 40.

Legal liquor liability exposure and all...
i get asked for ID if I've recently shaved, if i grow my beard a little then i never get asked so i guess a beard makes me look a little older.

I come across as younger than I am. I am still quite nimble for a chick in my early 40s and my boys keep me mentally young. My naive expression probably keeps people thinking I'm younger. I am letting my ample grey hair grow out and that may help people take me a bit more seriously. I dress as a tomboy 16yo, so that adds to the confusion.

I'm approaching my mid-20s but look younger than that....I think it's b/c I'm a little on the "shortish" side (my siblings who are both teens are taller than me) and have a somewhat round, childlike-looking face. The irony is that when I was a teenager, people would mistake me for a college student. :)

Does anyone else have this? I have read that it is an Asperger trait! Is it a curse or a blessing?

I look 10 years younger (and act like one -I was stuck with a teenage mentality for 15 years..) and people are shocked when they hear my age. I do appreciate my looks, but I hate it when their face drops and they're like, "wow, that old"? Lol. Yeah, I'm 31 and look like 21. My two female AS friends also look and act 10 years younger (other is 37 and other 43)! :wub:
Me too. I am 44 and people who don't know me assume I am 30. That feels great!

I am the same way, except on the other end of the life cycle. I am 70 and most people think that I am younger than that. I think that is because I still have a full head of hair that is only slightly grey. I have recently found out that people think that I am younger because my wife seems to enjoy telling people that I am 70. This what lead to my recent proclamation "70 is the new 40".

Count me in. I've always looked about 10 years younger than my age. At 54 now, weight gain and smoking have aged me more.

Someone just asked me the other day if I was 48, so I guess it's now more like six years younger.

If I'd never smoked, I'd probably look like I was still in my 30's. Pity ...

It is time for me to get back on my soapbox. I smoked until I was 56. Then I had a heart attack. In the hospital, I was told that if I did not stop smoking immediately, that I would not make it anther six months. Needless to say, I have not smoked since. Five years ago I had bladder cancer, also caused by smoking. Cali, I saw the recently posted picture of you with your cat. You are a good looking lady, so I would not worry about that. But if you are still smoking, the thing to worry about is staying alive. If you haven't already stopped, please stop smoking. I got very lucky, not everybody does.

I have the same thing. I'm 18 and I've just graduated from high school, but a lot of people thought I was a freshman. :/

Well I turned 40 back in April and in 22 years of legal drinking, I've been ID'd about twice.

New Threads

Top Bottom