• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just Diagnosed

MR TV

HI, I'm David. I'm a comedian, I just got diagnosed with autism about 3 months ago. I've been in treatment for autism for a few months. The treatment has helped me a lot. I'm starting to get insight into a lot of issues in my life. Autism has caused a lot of problems in my life,, but I also have some unique gifts.

The neurotype does often present as a Catch-.22, presenting both as the source of sensory issues, social deficits, and sundry other grrs, while simultaneously allowing for specific skills that measure far beyond the normal range of abilities.

Writing, music, math, memory skills, spacial recognition, or any number of unique attributes.

I've heard people make the argument that there's nothing wrong with us, that we are just "neurodiverse" and other people are "neurotypicals". And it's true, the NT's all wear the same clothes, drive the same cars, watch the same TV shows, wear the same haircuts, etc. etc. I talked to an autistic person last week who calls them "normals"or "normies"! So, I have some sympathy for that point of view, however I have some social problems that I need to work on. I've had several situations where hot chicks were coming on to me and wanted to have an affair and I didn't pick up on what was going on because I don't always understand what's going on socially. Now THAT'S A PROBLEM!! And I can't blame it on NT's. Also, I'm a comedian and I've had offers to be on TV shows and movies that I didn't pick up on because of my social problems. , Im going to keep going to therapy and get better at understanding what's going on socially so I won't miss any more golden opportunities (especially with women!!)

Technically you can blame NTs. Even if it's not right, I do it all the time :)
Just kidding. It sounds like you're on a really good path. Welcome to the club! Got any clips of your comedic talents?

I mean that if those hot chicks were autistic they would have directly and clearly told you what they wanted. As they were NT they used NT body language and social context expecting you to understand them.

I mean that if those hot chicks were autistic they would have directly and clearly told you what they wanted. As they were NT they used NT body language and social context expecting you to understand them.
Once you get the right women, no reason to look back nothing beats a good solid relationship.

Yes, when I was a teenager this friend of mine said, "Catherine Green thinks you're a hunk and wants to make out with you!" So, I went over and made out with Caherine Green. Other chicks used innuendo and suggestion and eexpected me to figure it out, sometimes I did and sometimes I didn't! Women will very rarely come out and say, or "I want to make out with you!" (Although it does happen, occasionally!) Usually romance is all about innuendo and suggestion. Waiting for aspie chicks to make their move severely limits my romantic possibilities! I want to be able to cash in on every offer I get from a hot chick! Yes, I have plenty of clips of my comedy on the internet. I'll post some at some point. I was pretty well known in the '80's and '90's. I worked with a troupe called "The Church of the Subgenius" and my character was called "Janor Hypercleets" I don't know if any of you guys have ever heard of me before or not!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard people make the argument that there's nothing wrong with us, that we are just "neurodiverse" and other people are "neurotypicals". And it's true, the NT's all wear the same clothes, drive the same cars, watch the same TV shows, wear the same haircuts, etc. etc. I talked to an autistic person last week who calls them "normals"or "normies"! So, I have some sympathy for that point of view, however I have some social problems that I need to work on. I've had several situations where hot chicks were coming on to me and wanted to have an affair and I didn't pick up on what was going on because I don't always understand what's going on socially. Now THAT'S A PROBLEM!! And I can't blame it on NT's. Also, I'm a comedian and I've had offers to be on TV shows and movies that I didn't pick up on because of my social problems. , Im going to keep going to therapy and get better at understanding what's going on socially so I won't miss any more golden opportunities (especially with women!!)
Your inability to read and process social communication is not uncommon. When I tired of the isolation and loneliness at age 25, and without knowing I am ASD, I had to deliberately learn the social. But while I escaped the isolation and loneliness, I am working on PTSD from that part of my life.

I was wondering if my inability to read social communication was something other people with autism shared. Apparently, it is. This has been the most debilitating aspect of autism for me--missing out on opportunities! My therapist is teaching me how to "read" people. Sometimes I go to Barnes and Noble and just sit there with a cup of coffee and read people. I do it in Supermarkets also. It's changed my whole perspective, it's brought me into the "real world"--that is, the real world as defined by nuerotypicals!!

Found you lol on youtube and believe you posted a year ago!

It is liberating and scary to finally get a formal diagnosis; well, that was for me anyway.

Besides that, welcome to the best forum on the internet.

I have always had the ability to read people, I would , just to never take advantage of this ability, just to get laid. I have too much respect for the other sex they have to carry the burden if things do not go to plan. even with my wife we waited two years before we had our first child. Planned the way I like to do things.

I was wondering if my inability to read social communication was something other people with autism shared. Apparently, it is. This has been the most debilitating aspect of autism for me--missing out on opportunities! My therapist is teaching me how to "read" people. Sometimes I go to Barnes and Noble and just sit there with a cup of coffee and read people. I do it in Supermarkets also. It's changed my whole perspective, it's brought me into the "real world"--that is, the real world as defined by nuerotypicals!!
ThIs is one of the things they have wrong, not all of us fit this model. I can read people like a book

This inability is not just something we tend share, it pretty much defines most of us.

Welcome! I think it's social communication issues we mostly share, reading people isn't the same as being good at social communication. For example, who says 'hot chicks' anymore? It's offensive and super old fashioned, though maybe it would raise a smile. Maybe you have got attached to this phrase from long ago? Don't use it on a date though. You seem to be an extrovert, so also less common a trait in those on the autistism spectrum. I hope that you enjoy it here and find it useful.

Someone asked me about an example of my comedy. This is one of my youtube videos. MR TV The Bank Robbery

New Threads

Top Bottom