• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It's been a morning of hilarity

Mia

V.I.P Member
So, decided to do what zookeepers do and add something new in the form of enrichment. I placed cat treats in several empty tissue boxes and in a long paper bag. I covered a puzzle feeder with a cardboard tube as well.

First cat, the big male went straight into the paper bag with no fear, ate the treats. The two older females watched him, hitting the paper bag if there was a crackling sound. The bag is narrow and long so he had to back out. He was pretty pumped and went straight to the cardboard tissue box. His way was to stick his entire face inside, instead of using his paw to get the treats out. The box was stuck to his head for a few minutes, and I couldn't help laughing.

He looked at me with recrimination, after he removed the box attached to his head. Suspect that the older females will figure it all out today.

It all turned out pretty well. Do any of you do these sorts of things with your pets?

Last edited:
Used to do a similar thing with my dog and her buddy. I placed an old towel on the floor which covered over a dog treat. My dog, went over and sniffed but could not figure out how to get to the treat. Her buddy, used his teeth after awhile to pull the towel away to get the treat. Another dog I looked after chewed a hole in the towel to get the treat. It's a sort of IQ test for dogs. :) ttps://www.hillspet.com/dog-care/training/dog-intelligence-iq-test

I sometimes build fortresses out of boxes and hide toys and treats in there. Too bad my cats don’t play well together, so when one of them (usually my gargantuan Monster) is playing in the fortress, I spray a toy with catnip and give it to Bolletje, my little anxious cat, and I feed her some treats in between.

Our cats don’t fight a lot because Monster usually hangs out in the living room and Bolletje hangs out in the bedroom. As long as someone pets Monster regularly he’ll nap and cuddle all day and leave Bolletje alone. When I’m in bed and my boyfriend is out, Monster will get bored and pester Bolletje.

I like playing with my dog. She sleeps with me in the morning when Mom works. When I get her up to let her out, I pick her up and show her in the mirror and ask her if that's her in the mirror?

Winter was long for our two cats. I was able to procure cat grass, cat nip and new toys which we made a lot of times.

I have bird feeders hanging from a tree outside a large picture window. My two cats will sit on the windowsill and watch the birds for hours through the window. They make strange bird-like chirping noises and twitch their whiskers with excitement. It's like cat TV.

They also like chasing tennis balls throughout the house so I have to be careful in the dark so I won't step on one. I never know where tennis balls will end up. And there are two empty boxes in the kitchen in which they hide and ambush each other. I cut peepholes in the boxes so they can spy on each other.

Three cats who are bored from being inside because of the cold weather. Scrapping with one another, hitting one another in the face and growling at one another. Listless and not wanting to play all that much.

So, decided to do what zookeepers do and add something new in the form of enrichment. I placed cat treats in several empty tissue boxes and in a long paper bag. I covered a puzzle feeder with a cardboard tube as well.

First cat, the big male went straight into the paper bag with no fear, ate the treats. The two older females watched him, hitting the paper bag if there was a crackling sound. The bag is narrow and long so he had to back out. He was pretty pumped and went straight to the cardboard tissue box. His way was to stick his entire face inside, instead of using his paw to get the treats out. The box was stuck to his head for a few minutes, and I couldn't help laughing.

He looked at me with recrimination, after he removed the box attached to his head. Suspect that the older females will figure it all out today.

It all turned out pretty well. Do any of you do these sorts of things with your pets?

I drape a blanket over a folding chair to make them a play structure/fort.

My cat would live in a bag if he could, he particularly likes the paper ones:

FP4NOXU.jpg

boxes are for chewing, duh

bdrcaD2.jpg

My cat tried to ride my dog (standard poodle, so pretty sizeable) once. I don’t think he meant to, but once he started doing it he decided to go with it. We did our usual routine of human opens pantry, dog races up the stairs for his bedtime treat, cat tries to pounce at dog as he flies by on the stairs, but this time the cat landed across the dog’s nose, and he stayed there until the dog reached the top of the stairs.

Arthur (the cat - the dog is Merlin, we went with the theme) thinks it’s the other way around - boxes are for hiding and paper is fun to tear (though he won’t turn down the crinkly goodness of a paper bag cave either, it just ends up demolished by the time he’s done with it).

New Threads

Top Bottom