• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ICT

mikkyh

My obsessions often change after a couple of years or so...but one obsession that hasn't seemed to have changed is computing. Anything to do with computers and I will usually be interested. I do a lot of research, about broadband; networking; computers (including desktops and notebooks and each of their components) and also other electronics: such as STBs (Set Top Boxes) and DVRs. I'm also strangely fascinated with coffee makers. Though I broke my last one by adding milk: an experiment, if you'd like me to choose a certain word to describe what I was up to.

I built my first PC last year, when I was 14. I really enjoyed sourcing all the parts - the processor (I settled on a simple Intel Dual Core 2.16GHz for an LGA 775 socket, I think); the graphics card (nVidia GeForce FX 5400 - a cheap graphics card I admit); some Gigabyte motherboard and of course all the other small necessities: DVD +/- RW drive; 120GB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive; the USB 2.0 and sound ports; Belkin N1 Wireless Desktop Card (built on the 802.11n draft specification); the PSU (it was a cheap 800W one) and of course the other parts required. It's gone now because I dismantled it and sold some of the parts. I will be rebuilding this May (my birthday!).

I do the odd repair job for friends of friends and friends of family, very cheaply I must add :D Oh and I love solving Virgin Media broad band problems. I really want to upgrade to the 50meg package...but I find the 20meg package sufficient.

All my life I've been obsessed with computers, and now I have money I'm over-spending. I like to take out my old school books from when I was 6 and look back at all the positive comments. It's the one thing that keeps me holding on - otherwise how am I supposed to reassure myself everything is going to be OK ?

Then there's the most recent obsession: doctor who. I've always liked it. Just not to the point I spent over £200 on it the past month.

It seems to me that it's very common for people with Aspergers to be obsessed with electronics and computers. What is it about them that fascinates us so ?

Heh. I have a fairly knowledgable ICT background. My parents own a computer shop, the biggest one in our town. :) I've had a PC in my room since I was... 2/3? :) So naturally I've always been able to build PC's and understand how they work. I'm at the height of IT literacy, without going into coding. :p I'm interested in coding, but it's hard to 'break the surface' and learn properly it seems, without taking it at college... which I don't really have the time for. :(

The possibilities with ICT really are endless, which is why the obsession will last longer than others usually... there are 'sub-obsessions' within ICT I guess - gaming, web design, etc. :)

Heh. I have a fairly knowledgable ICT background. My parents own a computer shop, the biggest one in our town. :) I've had a PC in my room since I was... 2/3? :) So naturally I've always been able to build PC's and understand how they work. I'm at the height of IT literacy, without going into coding. :p I'm interested in coding, but it's hard to 'break the surface' and learn properly it seems, without taking it at college... which I don't really have the time for. :(

The possibilities with ICT really are endless, which is why the obsession will last longer than others usually... there are 'sub-obsessions' within ICT I guess - gaming, web design, etc. :)

I can't STAND programming. I want to learn Java when I get a little older. I'm fairly adequate with CSS and XHTML 1.1 but otherwise I'm always relying on Content Management Systems such as Joomla! or blogging software such as Wordpress or Blogger.

EDIT: I have to add, I've always wanted to have a computer shop. My dad said he's going to maybe buy a place for me to develop one when I'm older. But I doubt that will happen.

I'm a big fan of ICT myself. I've spent most of today on the computer (mainly browsing Aspergic). My specific interest within ICT would have to be website design/development. I wouldn't mind getting into video editing too.

Hehe, each to his own. I wanted to learn Java too - it's just so hard to learn online, good or in-depth tutorials are like gold dust.

I'm not so great at writing code, but I'm literate in understanding what code does in many languages. :)

632817380.png

:D I love Virgin Media...though the uprate is extremely disappointing (N)

programing is a pain in the arse, i gave up within an hour- ill stick to hardware, ive built plenty of computers and repaired/upgraded them, thinking of setting myself up with a new rig sometime soon, just i like having the money in my bank account and been toying with the idea of buying myself a nice nitro rc car, im on a computer networking course at college and doing a CCNA qualification(cisco certified network associate)gonna gigabit ethernet my house in the summer- yep i am that sad,i take apart alot of electronics- some broken some not, just to see what stuff looks like really, next up for the chop is a virgin media cable modem that played up so i got them to send a new one, all is good now awesomely fast downloads :) torrents FTW!

havent got a clue why but i have always been interested in electronics, i seem to just be drawn to either construction or computers

programing is a pain in the arse, i gave up within an hour- ill stick to hardware, ive built plenty of computers and repaired/upgraded them, thinking of setting myself up with a new rig sometime soon, just i like having the money in my bank account and been toying with the idea of buying myself a nice nitro rc car, im on a computer networking course at college and doing a CCNA qualification(cisco certified network associate)gonna gigabit ethernet my house in the summer- yep i am that sad,i take apart alot of electronics- some broken some not, just to see what stuff looks like really, next up for the chop is a virgin media cable modem that played up so i got them to send a new one, all is good now awesomely fast downloads :) torrents FTW!

havent got a clue why but i have always been interested in electronics, i seem to just be drawn to either construction or computers

I would gigabit my house but I'm not allowed! Why am I not allowed to channel my creative energies ? XD

I'm interested in programming. I recommend starting at either Python or Ruby(or if you want to go REALLLY basic, QBASIC or that other one... Liberty BASIC). I got confused half way through Python and found Ruby too similar to Python to learn. I learned QBASIC which was fun but had limited functionality and I could just do a few things. Liberty BASIC I didn't do much on that... I might actually try it out and learn it next time I boot into Windows.
Which beggeth the question.
What's everyone's preferred OS?
;D.
EMZ=]

ooo i just saw a speedtest, i am the virgin media pirate- remember pirating is not theft, theft implys that something was taken whereas pirating is just making a copy:). hah, even got a small pirate flag and all

oh and @ Michael H putting in a gigabit network for my house isnt going to be cheap at all i mean 500m of cable is £120 plus a couple of hundred for a good switch, i mean im being trained with routers and switches that arent even completely gigabit ant they are in the five figure range

@ Emor Windows 7 64 bit on the desktop and Windows 7 32 bit on the netbook- its a bloody good OS

I'm currently dual-booting 64-bit Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard(which is 64-bit by default). I plan on tri-booting with OpenSUSE or Debian(not sure right now), Mac OS X 10.6 and Windows 7 when I get a 500 GB 2.5" HDD(which will be after February). If I actually decide to get one.
My favourite OS is probably Debian or Mac OS X.
EMZ=]

Windows 7 64bit for me. 8GB Ram and reaping the benefits. :D

...was on 32bit for a while before I got round to installing 64. 3.25gb ram = :( :p

I'm a music tech student, Cubase 5 + all my hefty VST plugins can swallow it up in no-time in a large project. :p

I'm a music tech student, Cubase 5 + all my hefty VST plugins can swallow it up in no-time in a large project. :p

wow thats pretty crazy, maybe you should get a new mobo that supports even more ram, actually that would be mad but doable if you had enough cash :p

Lol, my system is far from great. Most of my money is tied up in audio gear and instruments. Well. The only things I have to brag about in terms of PC hardware are 8GB RAM and my triple-screen setup. :) Well. Gaming mice and headsets, but that isn't really relevant to performance. :)

Lol, my system is far from great. Most of my money is tied up in audio gear and instruments. Well. The only things I have to brag about in terms of PC hardware are 8GB RAM and my triple-screen setup. :) Well. Gaming mice and headsets, but that isn't really relevant to performance. :)

bastard (lightheartedly) i can only dream of a triple screen setup although i have to say my pc does have some bad ass speakers for it well i say speakers its a full 140w hifi (an old one but the sound quality is amazing)

Hehe. The change from single-screen to dual-screen is awesome... then you go to triple and it's like. :eek:

I have some pretty nice speakers too. M-audio BX8a's... deluxe version. Second hand for £160, they're studio monitors, which I use them for.. but I use them as everyday speakers too. :p

ooo deluxe version hah:p i had my pc hooked up to my 22 ich pc monitor and a 32 inch telly for a good while that was fun but i really want 3 22s but i dont have the space

New Threads

Top Bottom